Facebook Noteriety

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Facebook Noteriety

Post by yogi »

Being popular on Facebook is like sitting at the cool table in the cafeteria of a mental hospital.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Facebook Noteriety

Post by Kellemora »

AGREED!

AND, If you read it on Farcebook, it must be true, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The problem I have with that is all the conflicting statements therein. How does one sort it out?
But then, that's the point of Facebook. Confusion. :redneck:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Now you know why I call it FARCEBOOK, hi hi!
yogi

Post by yogi »

It scares me to see how many people fall for the farce.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Well, the stuff I post there, although mainly personal, is just for fun, and some educational purposes...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I must admit that there are some perfectly normal and sane people who patronize Facebook - after all, I still go there from time to time. :grin:
Being as big as they are some negative publicity should be expected. Unfortunately some of those negative reports have a lot of truth to support their validity. Most of the people I know personally are there for the same reason you are: it's fun to share things with your friends and relatives. I just know too much about how they operate to feel comfortable there on a daily basis.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't like being on Farcebook either, but if I want to see what my brother and sister are up to, and my kids and a few friends, that's about the only place they hang out.
I never click on links, and hate the message pop-ups if someone knows I'm on.
I play one game that the only way to get to it is on Farcebook.
My wife started playing about ten years ago, and I joined her a year later playing the same game.
This way we could help each other a little bit.
And we are still playing the same game today, hi hi.

I'm on several others, but not as me. A few are because my publisher told me to join them.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Facebook is tracking your every move while on AND OFF their website. I often get messages from my browser telling me they prevented a tracking cookie from being installed. Many of Facebook's "partners" do the dirty work for them so that it really doesn't matter if you are logged in or not. They obviously steal more when you are active on their site, but unless you delete your account there altogether It''s impossible to stop them from tracking you.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I believe it!
My wife leaves her browser open all the time, while I close mine when I don't need it open.

I used to worry about my Ooma phone when I had to move the box from after the Router to before the Router.
Turns out, that is the better place for it. Both for clarity and for firewall protection.
From what I understand, you can't get from the Ooma box into my computer.
Or so they say! I'll bet some hacker somewhere knows how to thwart their system, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know how Ooma works but I'd be very leery about it. LOL I might even want to isolate it to it's own network; not just a branch of the LAN either. If it's connected to the public network in any way, shape, or form, you know it can be hacked. Simple as that.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

That's the main reason I had it on the other side of the Router in the beginning.

I have no idea how hackers do what they do, and although it seems odd to have it before the router, it is still only a direct line through the Ooma into the router. Which of course has a heavy firewall.
I do wish I knew more on how it works internally, but they say it is isolated.
When I get a phone call, it goes to the Ooma Office first and is then forwarded to their device.
Which then rings the phones in my house over MaBell's wires inside the house.
It sends no signals from the device to my computers nor to the router, other than what comes in through the modem from my ISP connection.

Because Comcast does provide VOIP phone service at 19.95 a month, probably higher now, they wanted to add a surcharge to use VOIP devices or VOIP from your computer. Fortunately some law was passed which prohibited them from charging based on the type of data being sent over the connection.

In previous years I had tried things like MajicJack and a couple of others, but the quality was poor.
The very first VOIP I tried used my computer and microphone and a program to dial the number.
It still went through the VOIP providers service computers and did not connect to the house phones.
Don't remember the name anymore, but it was horrible. And I got more spam calls than Carter's had pills, which always messed up what I was doing on the computer at the time. I turned it off and didn't renew. Got several letters from them saying my end was turned off and I should turn it back one, which I never did, hi hi.

MajicJack still used your computer resources.
You don't even need to own a computer to use Ooma. But you do need an Internet connection of course.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your description makes it sound like the Ooma box is the computer. It's a dedicated box that can do only one thing, i.e., send and receive calls to the big Ooma in the sky. In effect that could isolate it from your LAN because the Ooma box is too dumb to even know what a network is. So, it is probably safe to put anywhere on your network; doesn't matter to Ooma if it's before or after the router.

They say the "Man in the middle" network attack is a very common way of compromising networks. That would be somebody intercepting your network traffic between your modem and the destination of those data packets. Not much you can do about those kind of attacks other than to encrypt the data. My guess is that Ooma thought of that too and is sending encrypted data over your cable lines.

Can the Ooma box be compromised to vector in on your LAN? Don't know if that's possible, but that is where I'd have a concern. Anything connected to your network, like a printer or a ring camera or smart refrigerator, makes the network vulnerable. How vulnerable, is the question.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Our appliances that have communications do so through an audio cell phone connection. Sounds like an old dial-up modem when data is going back and forth.

When I had Ooma on the computer side of the Router it was not as clear and sometimes had breaks or blank spots.
Their service department told me to connect it straight to the modem, and hook my router to the Ooma box.
Said it has its own built-in security systems, and the cable connection is only throughput and has a heavy firewall. Only signals from our computers can access Ooma, and it does use its own keys and coding. Said I didn't have to worry, hi hi.

It does work perfectly when connected directly to the modem though.

I've never had an issue with it yet, knock on simulated wood grain!