Phun with MickeySoft poly-TICK-ians

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Phun with MickeySoft poly-TICK-ians

Post by yogi »

In one of your replies today I was reminded of a question I've been meaning to ask of you for some time. Being an author and professional writer I know that you must be intimately familiar with literary devices. There must be dozens of them and I really don't know what to call the one I'm questioning here, but it has to do with the words in the title of this topic. You frequently use the three words, phun, MickeySoft, and poly-TICK-ians -- there are times when you substitute the 'S' with a dollar sign in Mickey$oft. You obviously know the correct spelling for all these terms, but you are making conscious choice to use an alternate spelling. Is there a general principle underlying your usage of such words, or is it something as simply as force of habit? Does poly-TICK-ians have the same meaning as politician, or are you trying to convey some other idea when you change the spelling? I can't say that I don't understand the point you are making when you use those words. But, I am curious about why. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Phun with MickeySoft poly-TICK-ians

Post by Kellemora »

OK, let's start with my use of the word PHUN.
I started doing this way back in grade school when we were issued a skewl book titled "Fonix is Phun!"
SKEWL came from a Comic Strip. I don't remember which one, but it had a Red School House with the word SKEWL on the door. Could have been Ren and Stimpy or some other comic strip.

Poly-TICK-ians is derived in this manner.
POLY meaning MANY, and TICKS which are Blood Sucking Creatures.
and of course the IANS is to indicate their personage.

I think Mickey$oft is fairly self-explanatory. Mickey from MIckey Mouse, the dollar sign from the high Cost, and Soft from software.
And then of course there is WinDOZE, hi hi.
Also known as the worlds fastest virus detector!
yogi

Re: Phun with MickeySoft poly-TICK-ians

Post by yogi »

Thank you for explaining the derivation of the words I asked about. While that is all interesting it doesn't answer my main question. I know you are very involved with the publishing industry and have some very high standards for grammar and spelling. In fact you have indicated on several occasions that misuse of certain words is very irksome. All that is well and good. But here you are doing all those things your normally high standards would prohibit. Thus my curiosity is stirred. Is it some kind of literary device to add interest to your writing or are you making some kind of subtle statement? I'm not clear about why you do it. I know how you feel about Microsoft and that would possibly relate to your deliberate misspelling of their corporate name and products, but the other two (and more I've not mentioned) are not so obvious. Curious minds want to know why.