Coffee Drinking Benefits

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Coffee Drinking Benefits

Post by yogi »

Just this week for instance, researchers from the universities of Navarre in Spain , Catania in Italy, and a separate report published by the Harvard School of Public Health, determined that habitually drinking coffee overtime dramatically reduces one’s risk of developing hypertension and Type 2 diabetes respectively, in addition to potentially protecting us from a plethora of metabolic risk factors, including strokes and chronic heart disease.
https://www.theladders.com/career-advic ... ay-healthy

I managed to avoid all those things, however, my lack of hypertension has more to do with the pills I'm taking for that than it does with my coffee drinking habits. LOL Still, this is an interesting article in that I didn't realize so many people were looking into the subject.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Coffee Drinking Benefits

Post by Kellemora »

If they are saying that, I would tend to think it is biased. Written by coffee drinkers, hi hi.

Most of the articles I have read by accredited scientists are not looking so much at the caffeine as they are the tannin in coffee, and of course tea.
Liver Damage, Nose, and Throat Cancer has been attributed to both coffee and tea.
Not from the caffeine but from the tannin.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't think caffeine is mentioned at all in the article. They claim is that tea is better, but 3-4 cups of java will do the trick. As far as authoritative research goes, this article claims "researchers from the universities of Navarre in Spain , Catania in Italy, and a separate report published by the Harvard School of Public Health" as it's sources. I suppose they could be lying but I've read similar things from other sources over the years.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The reason I even looked into it was strange.
Why do the Mormon's not allow their members to drink coffee or tea?
It's all based on one thing. Hot drink is not for the stomach or health, something like that.
Even so, they don't allow Cold Coffee or Cold Tea, but they never claimed it was due to the caffeine.
I dug a little further and found the chemical that was in both coffee and tea, but not soda is Tannin.
And that's when I did a little research on the affects of Tannin, and came up with all kinds of things about it that is not good for us.

So when someone says drinking coffee is healthy, I tell them to look up the bad affects of Tannin.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I"m probably being naive, but, I'm assuming the researchers are smarter than I am and being scientists are unbiased in their work. I think like most other things in our environment there are both good and bad elements. Not only that, everybody reacts differently to the same stimuli. What kills you makes me healthier. What else can I say? LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

All I can say is I love Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, while my old neighbor (now gone) cannot have anything considered a nut, especially not tree nuts. He was paranoid about the neighbor to my right mowing around his black walnut tree, and me mowing around our pecan trees.
He freaked out when he saw a squirrel carrying a nut across his yard or porch, hi hi.

The gene pool is breaking down, and fast!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have a cousin who is allergic to peanuts, and probably other nuts as well. I love them and can't get enough of them because my digestive system does not digest them thoroughly. One handful is about all I can do safely and that I only do when I want to clear out my intestines and bowels. LOL Oddly enough peanut butter does not have the same effect on me and I"m betting that's because most of the butter is not peanuts.

I can't get a number for the world's population the year I was born, 1944, but in 1951 it was 2,584,034,261 - only a few hundred million more than my birth year I'd guess. Today, 2019, the global population figure is 7,713,468,100 - hardly a die off of the gene pool. It certainly is diluted, however.
Last edited by yogi on 13 Dec 2019, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

They remove the peanut oil from peanuts and put in vegetable shortening in its place. Plus they usually remove the nibs also so the PB isn't bitter. I guess the processing and pressing removes most of the allergens from them.
But then it depends what part of the peanut you are allergic to. For many it is the nibs themselves where all the toxins are.

Perhaps I should have said mutation of the gene pool, hi hi.

When I was driving OTR, one of my stops was in a small isolated town, and they didn't cotton to any outsiders coming into their town, hi hi. Heck, I wasn't even supposed to deliver to the address, it had a deliver to address under it, which was like a small warehouse area on the outskirts of the town.
What was sad was nearly everyone working in the warehouse had some form of physical developmental problem.
They guy who showed me what dock to back up to, his hand never grew beyond infancy on one arm.
After I opened the back doors and backed into the dock, then went inside the truck to show them which pallet was theirs, they boy driving the forklift appeared to have only one leg. Another man counted the boxes and made me wait for them to get them off the pallet and check each against his clipboard, he was at least 6'3" tall but looked OK. He waived at the guy who showed me which doc to back up to and he signed my delivery receipt.
When I got ready to pull out there must have been at least a dozen kids who came to watch the big truck pull out, and it looked like every one of them had some type of abnormality.
At first I thought it might be a camp like place, but when I got back into town I stopped to grab a bite and asked about the town I just delivered to. He said the town folk call it The Cousin's Club. Illegal as hell is what I call it! The same three or four families have lived there since before I was born. We don't mess with them, and they don't mess with us. The only city official they ever let into that wretched town is the county coroner, and utilities inspector, that's about it. They didn't even call for the fire department when they had that big fire a couple of years ago. Put it out themselves I guess, or more likely just let it burn all the way down, whatever it was that burned.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your story about the Cousin's Club is one of the saddest things I can think of. What makes it sad is the fact that it doesn't have to be that way. Those folks truly live in a world of their own, and they are not the only ones.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Even the Amish and their close knit communities don't allow marriage between first cousins, and not usually even between second cousins.

I don't have the numbers at my fingertips, but there are several communes across the U.S., many started in the '60s and a few families stayed together and held their group together to the point they are now crossbreeding among their cousins.

I read somewhere that the deformities are not simply because of them being first cousins. Now with DNA testing they know there has to be certain genes present in both parents to raise the likely hood of a deformed child. But why risk it?
Doc's aren't all that smart, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Incest is one of those things in life that I was shocked and awed to learn about how many people are involved with this particularly odd activity. Most of what I've heard were anecdotal stories, but then there are entire communities such as the one you describe. It's a way of life for some folks to be close knit and mostly isolated from society in general. Then, of course, there are the truly perverted types who know what they are doing is illegal, immoral, and unethical. That's the crowd which amazes me by their numbers. In all these cases it's deemed OK and the risks are not part of their thinking or beliefs. I doubt that any one of them consult a doctor, and the risk of deformity is just a natural thing. It happens without inbreeding too, so maybe they have a point.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I once knew (not personally, but through my employment at the time) a couple who were in reality brother and sister.
It had more to do with the families money and assets than anything to do with love, hi hi.
Apparently they inherited the family business, along with another brother who thought he was the boss over everything because he got the most shares. I think it went by age, so he got 40%, the next boy 35, and the girl 25.
They were forbidden to sell any shares outside the immediate family, and if they married, 1/3 of their stock would inure to the spouse on their tenth wedding anniversary. But if they married, both parties had an equal vote, even though one did not yet have any shares in the company. I think this was originally stipulated to prevent craziness on issues.
Well, by the brother and sister getting married, they now controlled as a single entity 60% of the company, which somehow gave them 12 votes to their older brothers 4 votes, and even if he got married he would still only have 8 votes.
In any case, their company ran smoothly, even if the brother and sister rarely crossed paths, hi hi.
They owned an advertising film company and did some films for Sverdrup & Parcel, so were there periodically from time to time. I never did see one of the films they made, unless they were some training films I saw when I first started there.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Love :heart: makes people do crazy things, but money is even a stronger influence. In theory there isn't anything wrong with a brother and sister falling in love and wanting to live together for the rest of their lives. The biological risks should be heeded in that case, but I don't see any other valid reason for a marriage not to be allowed. In the final analysis marriage is about money and inheritance. You don't need to be married in order to raise a family properly although I realize most religions don't agree with me. As it turns out a lot of kids born this century are drifting away from both marriage and religion. Truly, nothing is sacred anymore, and I'm not sure it should be.

I once had a friend who had both a wife and a husband. The state of Minnesota didn't allow that arrangement to be legal so they just ran off to the woods one day and pronounced their vows in front of God and Nature that way. Last I hear from her there were three children in the family, none of which were of school age yet. We had some wonderfully interesting conversations and I often wondered what would happen when the kids got to be of school age and they told their classmates that they had two mama's and one papa. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

One of my late wife Ruth's friends had a most unusual living arrangement, which sounds almost similar to what you just mentioned. Duane and Terry and Sylvia I think it was. Duane wanted kids and Terry could not have any kids. I should add they were both swingers to start with, so it came as no surprise that Sylvia agreed to mother his kids. Right before the first kid was borne, she moved in with them so she would be there to nurse and take care of the kid. Ended up with her never leaving because Terry was always busy with her job which also involved travel. It wasn't until the second child was around ten years old that circumstances caused them to sell the house, and Sylvia moved in with her regular boyfriend. Duane and Terry got a large apartment first, then when the oldest boy moved out, they downsized in the same apartment complex. Then when the last kid a girl got married, they moved way out in the county to an even smaller apartment. I never heard from them much after that, except for when he passed away and we were invited to his private wake.
Debi and I were just married and still living in St. Louis, so I didn't know her well enough yet to know how she would react to brushing elbows with TV and Movie people. I knew a couple of the characters from soaps she watched would be there.
I told her to just act like they were just normal people, and don't go and get all giggly eyed being around them. She was scared to death for about our first fifteen minutes there, but after one of the actors she knew started talking to her, she completely forgot he was an actor, which was good.
We didn't stay long because more people than they expected to show up came and the place was packed, and hot.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Celebrities are made of the same stuff us ordinary folks are made from and I can't imagine being too nervous meeting anyone on the world stage. There are a few world leaders I would not want to meet, but that's a different story. I've been going to a particular chat site for a dozen years now. Most of the people I talk to there are by random invitation; I don't know any of them personally in real life. Being the kind of site that it is, the people there are anonymous. They can pretend to be anybody, but you never really know for sure.

One day I received a random invite from "the real Forgot-her-name now." She was a teenager around the age of 18 and we chatted for about half an hour much the same as you and I would do right here. By chance I asked her if she played a musical instrument. She replied "only the one in the show." What show? She named it and I looked it up. It was a television show about some female kid who among other things played the guitar. I asked her if she was whoever was the star of that show. She said, yes. I asked the obvious question then, what are you doing in a sleazy chat site like this if you are the star of that show? She laughed and said this was her first time and she was just bored. In every respect she was what you would expect from an 18 year old and never gave the slightest hint that she was a successful television celebrity. Not until I asked her about it. I told a few other people who I talked to and they knew the name immediately. They didn't believe me, but that's fine. I'm pretty sure it was who she claimed to be and she was indeed bored. You know, like happens to normal people. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

As a Ham Radio Operator, I belonged with this one group who met at a certain time once a week just to chat in a round robin type of format, we each got a turn, and kept the rotation going in order.
One of the members of this group and with whom I talked with outside of the group was Lou Lou Beaulieu. Her birth name was Priscilla Ann Wagner, then she married Elvis Presley, then married Beaulieu.
With all her money, and toys, she too was bored to death and spent many hours a day on the radio.
She's still listed in the CallBook: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSea ... Key=723372
Hmm. Just thinking, perhaps she was already a Beaulieu when she married Elvis.
i do know she was a Wagner, and perhaps she was adopted by Beaulieu.
But then her mom married a Presley first I think, and that may be how she met Elvis.
How she got back to being a Beaulieu again I never learned about.
It's been well over 25 to 30 years since we talked and she was fairly private about everything. Normally only talked about radio and various world travel sites, but that was about it.

As an aside: Debi made it back to Washington D.C.. She fell on the escalator while in Munich, said blood was everywhere, and she almost missed her flight because of it. They flew from Dulles to Nashville and after a good nights sleep there, she will drive in later this afternoon. She didn't say if she got stitches or not, but said she is in a lot of pain. She didn't like tumbling down an escalator like an old duffel bag, hi hi.
She had a great time in Germany, visited several castles that she didn't get to see her last trip over.
I got to stay home, safe and sound, right where I wanted to be, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I can't top that story about Lou Lou. My ham radio days were characterized by what teenagers were doing back in those days. I don't recall meeting any celebrities, but like the Internet you never know who you really are talking to.

Falling down isn't a pleasant experience, but when you do it on an escalator it's nothing short of dramatic tragedy. I hope Deb got all the help she needed to patch herself up. People are surprisingly outgoing in an emergency, but many will just run the opposite direction. The good news is that she is capable of traveling on an airplane. If you are damaged too badly they won't let you do it.

We are scheduled to head up north for Christmas. Being with family is nice but I don't like the thought of spending six hours behind the wheel. That would go double if the weather is bad. I was able to avoid that excursion one year, but I was pretty sick with some sort of flu. Be that as it may, I think I enjoyed it a lot more than traveling 6 hours for a turkey dinner.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Back in the day, we used to talk to a lot of Celebrities, not that it mattered.
Talked to Rochester from the Jack Benny show numerous times, and visited him once when I was driving OTR to see his massive indoor outdoor train layout.
Had another name on the tip of my tongue, but it fell off while I was answering the phone from the frau saying let's go.
We need to take her rental car back and get some pain meds.
Back when I was taking flying lessons, I would find some guy trying to rack up hours to get his commercial license and who didn't mind flying a long distance either. This way no airport bull farkle to get somewhere. On the good side, not a single one who took me ever left me stranded without a way back home, even if they had to go home and come back again, they needed the hours, and I paid the gas, so it was win win for both of us.
yogi

Post by yogi »

About a dozen years ago one of the managers at Motorola was taking commercial flight lessons. He too needed the hours and was willing to fly any of us anywhere for something like $75/hr. That might have been a bargain on a long haul, but coming down here to St Louis, for example, would be well over $400 round trip. I have no idea what the hourly rate would be these days.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I was taking flying lessons, each lesson was only 35 bucks per hour and included the plane, fuel, and instructor.
When my son decided to take a few lessons, they were like 250 bucks an hour. Needless to say, he didn't keep doing them for very long, hi hi.
After I soloed, plane rental for either the Colt or the Tri-Pacer was only 15 bucks an hour, if I stayed in the area.
If I wanted to fly a greater distance away, like over 100 miles it was 25 bucks an hour, and if I planned a stop, like in Rolla, then it jumped up to 35 bucks an hour, plus another 50 dollar special insurance fee, even while it was on the ground, hi hi.
I got out of the insurance fee by not landing at another airport, but landed on a private strip owned by one of my first wife's uncles. I don't think all the money was for actual insurance, I'm sure part of it was the landing fee at the airport I went to.
I did get to fly a tail-dragger a couple of times, the Piper Cub they had.
It has an entirely different feel when you take off and land than a three-wheeler.
Feels like you are flying into the ground during takeoff, hi hi.
And like you are taking off when you land. Strange feeling when you are used to flying tricycles, hi hi.
Another important thing, especially for beginners, is to make sure the plane has plenty of dihedral.
You can roll-over a straight-wing plane very easily, not safe for a new flyer who has enough other things to learn about.
If you have your trim tabs set correctly, and you lose a little control in a dihedral wing plane, you can just let go of everything and the plane will right itself. Many times after a stall also!
This is one reason I liked the Tri-Pacer, although uglier, than the Colt.
The Colt would drop like a rock during a stall, but the Tri-pacer you had to force into a stall and it would instantly right itself. Makes passing the tests much easier, hi hi.