Roku Ad Blockers

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Roku Ad Blockers

Post by yogi »

I've read about the benefits of ad blockers being used in browsers. Personally I don't bother with them unless it's a default setting I don't look at in the first place. I never gave much thought to Roku, or their likes. But, apparently you can load apps onto it, and guess what. They track your every move. https://mashable.com/article/smart-tv-d ... ollection/
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Roku Ad Blockers

Post by Kellemora »

Yeppers, I don't doubt they do that, based on the e-mails the frau gets for advertised items she only viewed on Roku, hi hi.

Some telemarketer is using my home phone number as the person calling people and it really burns me up.
It's illegal, but who's to stop them!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I get how they spoof e-mail return addresses. Caller ID, however, is beyond my comprehension. It's all automated. How in all goodness does one go about changing the ID? I know there is a code you can use to prevent identification, but changing it to somebody else is weird. There are such things as throw away cell phones that people use to hide behind a bogus ID. Terrorists like to use those things to set off their explosives. I would imagine a telemarketer could do the same thing to appear as if it's a legitimate caller. The only way you can get around a spoofer using your phone as identification is to change your phone number.

Here's a puzzle I have yet to figure out. The flip phone I used before I got this cleverphone would receive two or three spam calls on a regular basis. I recognized the numbers after a while and never answered them. One was based in Oakbrook in fact and was a known spammer written up all over Google. The other two were known spam but not nearly as documented as this one number. So, down here in MO i got a cleverphone and am very careful about who I give my number to. But, I also recognize that even giving it to the healthcare providers is a high risk. Plus, whoever had my number previously probably was getting spammed to death because at first I got quite a few calls. The Pixel has a call screening feature that works similar to an answering machine. A script is read telling the person to leave a message. If they do I can read it in real time and decide if I want to answer. Usually they hang up before the script is finished. The puzzle is that the spammer in Oakbrook has my new number and calls me. It's an Illinois number and not a toll free number. How in all of Hell did they get it? I'm on a different phone network now with a different number. None of the places I gave my number to down here in MO exist in Illinois; well, except perhaps for T-Mobile itself. They are everywhere. I'm sure it's coincident, but it is possible they tracked me. Doesn't do them any good. I'm still not answering their calls.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

There are a lot of programs out there that let you set what your caller ID displays, even the phone number it shows.

When I get spam calls on my little flip fone I just punch the bottom to block them.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm certain you are correct about the availability of spoofing programs. That's why it's done so often. It seems like apples vs oranges, however. The telephone generally isn't part of a computer that can be programmed. At least that is true of landlines. And, they do use mobile phones for spamming, but it gets quite expensive doing it that way.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The company who controls my VOIP account will let me choose from two numbers that are mine for the display instantly, but I have to send in a request for them to add a third or fourth number.
But changing the text part of the display, I can do that anytime, just by filling in the box with something different.
Whatever I put there will appear to the next person I call.
Although I do have two phone lines, both phone numbers roll over to a single line, so my dual line phones are pretty well useless unless I want to buy the third and fourth numbers for the second line, which would also require a second VOIP box.
Before I did that, I would buy a business box instead which has multiple extensions you can program in.
yogi

Post by yogi »

i don't know if Spectrum has that feature on their phone service, but then I never bothered to check. I may do it the next time I'm on their website just to determine what is available. The spam bots are pretty sophisticated and probably bypass anything you or I would have access to. It's rare that I would answer a call I don't recognize immediately. On the clever phone I have a Google assistant that screens the calls for me. It really doesn't matter what kind of spam calls I get. I haven't answered one in a long time.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Unfortunately, since I get a lot of important calls from first time callers who are not Spam, and many use cell phones that only show the city they are calling from, I can really block them that way. Although I do have a few cities blocked due only spammers calling from those cities.

They need to fix the caller ID system so it verifies the source of the call before allowing a phone to ring.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My Google Assistant, which lives inside my clever phone, can and does identify spam. If it's a first time caller and not identified somewhere on the web as spam, it tells me to be careful. So, Google knows if the call is being spoofed or not. They still give me the option to answer or block. The advice on the street is to not use the screening function because it actually answers the call with a prerecorded message. That is good theory, but it appears as if the spammers figured out that I TOO am a robot and fewer of them call me now. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have the option with my service to answer all calls with a recorded message to press a number to reach so n so.
It is included in my package, but I've never used it.
I like using the Continuous Ring for every number in my block list or on other lists like NoMoRoBo, etc.
I subscribe to three blocking lists, but the evil callers still manage to get through by using real peoples phone numbers, like mine when they are calling other people.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have come to the same conclusion about spam phone calls as I have about malware on computers. If the bad actors want to get to you, they will find a way. In the case of the phone calls I let them get to me. I rarely answer them and frequently screen them with a pre-recorded message. It's an approach that is about as effective as subscribing to those do-not-call lists. Not perfect, but it does cut down the incoming spam quite a bit. Once or twice I screened out legitimate calls. They left a message and I called them back. Spammers won't leave a callback message.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I would never put my phone numbers on the Do Not Call list.
My brother did an experiment a number of years ago.
He got two new phone numbers, one he put on the Don't Call list, the other he didn't.
It wasn't even a week later when the phone he put on the Don't Call list began getting swamped with spammers.
The reason is simple:
The Don't Call list is distributed for free to all telemarketers.
Since most of them go through overseas routers away from the states first.
The Don't Call list is merely a major list of known working numbers for them to call without repercussions of doing so.
Even some stateside companies use the Don't Call list to get their known working numbers from.
AS far as my brother phone he never put on the list, he does get random spam calls, but they are far and few between.

I think some robocalling machines do listen for voice other than hello.
I say that because when I answer the phone, I answer with a company name, and if someone doesn't respond instantly I go into a spiel by saying something like. I said hello which requires a response from your end, no response means your number will be added to our black list. I usually don't get the whole phrase out before they hang up, maybe thinking they got a recording, hi hi.

More recently, I started calling back the phone numbers shown in the caller ID, because I know almost all of them are now using known working numbers. Had a guy call me once wanting to know what I wanted. I said I didn't call him. We talked for a bit and he told me my number was in his caller ID as who called. I told him about spammers using peoples real phone numbers causing those numbers to get blocked. I know, because I block every spammer who calls me, using the caller ID phone number displayed.
Got off track there. Knowing this, I started calling the numbers back before putting them on my blacklist. And lately nearly ever one I call is answered by someone who didn't know their number was being used by spammers.
This is why I say they need to fix the caller ID system so it checks to make sure the call originates from the number shown.

I don't know how wise this is, but my sister has been doing something for years.
She keeps a landline phone and her cell phone.
Let me tell you about her cell phone first. And I have no idea how she got this set up either.
If you call her cell phone number it answers on the first ring and says press 5 to be connected.
If you call her landline phone number, it has a long message that says something about she is not near the phone, but if this is an emergency you can reach me at this phone number, and it gives out her cell phone number.
She's home when some of these call come into her landline phone, and they normally hang up long before they get to the point where they would hear her cell phone number.

I had asked our cell phone carrier about that feature and they said it is only available on business accounts.
I know my sister is not paying for a business account, yet she has it with her service!
It could be because she is nurse? Oh, she also has a pager, but it is provided by the hospital.
yogi

Post by yogi »

If you ever dialed a number that is not in service you will hear a weird tone and then a voice telling you the number you have called is ... well ... not working. I once had a copy of that initial tone - they have a name for it but I forgot what it is. The slick trick in that day was to record that tone on your answering machine ahead of the real message. Robot calling machines recognize that tone and automatically delete the number from their call list.

It might be worth looking into an app that will intercept incoming phone calls and demand an action before you answer the call. I'm sure they are available. It would be the equivalent of a CAPCHA login designed to filter out robots. It probably can be done at the service provider level, which would be desirable in that you don't get charged for the call in that case. But people like Google (Android) are offering services to not process a call that they "know" is spam. The way they know is that people report the number on various websites that keep track of such things. That's all preemptive and probably the best approach. As I mentioned already, I am more passive in my resistance. I let my personal assistant take the call and decide what to do from there. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I remember some of those sounds of the old landline days.
I've not had a MaBell line in many years. Although I've always had a landline, the last was through AT&T which technically is a landline, but instead of phone wires, it used a cable from the pole to a box on the wall, then from there came the twisted pair to the phone jacks.
But for the past several years I've been totally VOIP. Tried a few of the early ones before going with Ooma, which I love.
yogi

Post by yogi »

VOIP is a great option if you don't want to go all mobile. It suffers from the same security risks as does any transmission over the public network, but maybe AT&T has that all figured out. BTW, AT&T bought out all the Ma Bell phone companies years ago before they went into Internet service. I think a few split off after that, but not enough to earn AT&T monopoly status.

Also, I meant to tell you that Sophos, the Internet security company, has an app for mobile phones. It not only keeps the viruses at bay but also has the option to screen your calls before they they ring your phone. They discontinued that service on a lot of the Android phones because Google was already doing it. But the app is available in just about any app store.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't remember who my cell phone service is through since it does not display on the screen, and the frau takes care of it for her Schmartz-Fone, and I'm just a second line I guess.
I've not connected my flip-fone to WIFI and don't plan to.
But the crazy company sent me an upgrade notice, but the only way to upgrade the phone is by connecting to MY WiFi.
Needless to say, I'm not paying for Internet Service for the High Priced Cellular company to download on my Dime instead of over their own Data Cell Service.
I think it is a GIMMICK to get connected to your WiFi system for evil purposes, hi hi.

My landline VOIP provider I think is also getting into cellular service.
I keep reading about putting all of your phone services together into one, but never looked into it that closely to see what they are talking about for sure.
I can already have landline calls forwarded to my cell phone, which I have turned OFF.
I figure they don't need to know my cell phone number either, hi hi.

My VOIP is through Ooma, I used to have them plugged into my Router, but more recently I moved them so the connection is to the Modem and the output goes into the Router. Everything just works better that way.
I wouldn't doubt they are tracking and/or monitoring all of my calls, for the government, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The reason they want you to connect to your WiFi for the upgrade is because then the data will be send over your ISP connection instead of over the radio frequencies. It's not only cheaper (for both of you) that way, but a lot faster too. I'd say it's a safe bet to do it that way if you want the upgrade. Once you are upgraded simply disconnect from the router.

I don't know a whole lot about Ooma, but a neighbor up north used them instead of AT&T. He said it was cheaper, but getting through to his phone line was only a 50/50 chance. Half the time the network was down. This usually wasn't a problem, but, if he ever had to call 911 he only had a 50% chance of being able to do it. If you are worried about being monitored by the FBI, then you should not be connecting your phone to the router at all. You could get a separate phone line modem, but that still would not stop the Feds from tracking you. They know what you are doing at all times. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

As long as the Cable Internet is up, and I have a UPS on the modem and Ooma box, the phone will work even if we don't have electric. I don't have it hooked up that way because we have cell phones and they usually work when the electric is out.
The only time my Ooma phone was out, was twice during my first year with them, and it was not a problem at their end, this is when I had it plugged into the router. Since I connected it directly to the modem, it has always been crystal clear.
I answer most of my calls in my garage office, which is over 200 feet by wire from the house. And part of that run of wire is bundled with AC power, Cable TV cable, LAN to the router down in the house, and two pairs of Phone Lines, since I used to have two landline accounts.
Even with all the possible interference, Ooma has always been crystal clear and always up and working, unless the Cable Internet was down.
Ooma is FREE after you buy their box of course. But you still have to pay the Federal Tax which is anywhere from 3 to 5 bucks a month. Mine averages around 4 bucks a month now, used to be closer to three bucks. I do pay 9.99 per month for the optional features, such as three way calling I don't use, the ability to answer an incoming call while I'm already on the phone, and the main reason is for the BlackLists. There have two or three like NoMoRoBo, plus I can block the ones I want to block also. I also block those that were added by other folks to the Ooma users verified blacklist.
So, all together I pay just shy of 15 bucks a month for my phone service for two phone numbers and national calling.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think you are getting a good deal with Ooma. It works just like the phone I have with Charter; it's always on except when the cable service is interrupted. The voice quality is excellent and I wish my ears were as good. Then again, I'm less than 6' from the modem with the phone jack so that the quality better be good. I have two phones plugged into the modem in fact. One is at my desk and the other is to a cordless base station. That phone number is the one I give out for general contact information. The caller ID banner flashes across the TV screen which is an extra bonus we didn't expect. Most calls are taken on our clever phones and the pseudo landline is just a backup. We could probably do away with both the cable TV and the phone lines but that would mean all the spam would come to the cell phones. It's not too bad at the moment but if wife decides to ditch the cable some big changes will be made.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We tried the package deal with Comcast during one of our changes. It came with their VOIP phone service, TV, and Internet. When the phone rang the caller ID displayed on the TV for us also, and when someone answered the phone, a little red box stayed in the upper corner of the TV until you hung up, then it would change to green and fade away.
It was itemized out on the bill as phone 19.99, cable internet 55.00+-, and TV at some whopping figure.
Luckily this was only a 1 year contract, maybe it was 2 years, I don't remember.
But when we dropped everything Comcast except the Internet, the internet price jumped up 79.00 a month.
We were stuck with that price for four years before the frau got them to come down a little.
She has DirectTV for the TV, plus the little ROKU plug in for her Amazon Prime free shows.

I tried a few of the other VOIP phone services, forget the names of all we tried, but none were very good.
Ooma gave us an option to turn our Telo unit for a full refund for a full year. We've never been disappointed in their service.

I can't say we are elated with Comcast, but they are the only cable option here.