Roku Ad Blockers

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Roku Ad Blockers

Post by yogi »

Being the DX nerd that I was, I considered repeaters to be cheating. LOL I was involved with a group on 10 meters and met with them every Friday night, but the majority of my air time was pounding brass in between the Radio Moscow channels which decided to ignored the fact that they were in the ham bands doing their thing. Voice didn't seem to penetrate the same as CW. I don't know where I was when packet radio came about. It must have been before computers were invented. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have many awards from 10-10 International.

Repeaters were designed for low power walkie talkies to have a better range in a given area.
But then the Evergreen System added many repeater links which was interesting.
And some clubs made HF bands available through a repeater on 220 and 440, but it was heavily controlled.

Packet Radio was the pre-cursor to Internet e-mail and used the same protocol for sending messages.
It worked great, even though much more complex on radio than over wires, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The HF stuff was a whole different world than the one I lived in during my amateur radio days. I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd still stay below 30MHz. I just felt comfortable there. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My two favorite bands were 40 meter and 80 meter CW, for most of my Ham Radio years.
But then I got into always talking locally on the repeaters when I was out and about in my car.
If I didn't have time for a CW connection, I would use 10 meters and try to fill up my contact list for another award.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You probably would get arrested if you used your ham gear while driving these days. I'm pretty sure Missouri banned the use of mobile devices by the driver, or at least they are not allowed to be holding onto them. I keep mine by my side just in case I need to make an outgoing call or my wife of many years wants to talk. When she is in the car she does any and all the necessary communications with the outside world. Sometimes I get lost and need directions. I then pull off the road and ask Google to guide me to wherever it is I'm going. I'm guessing that's illegal too. I'd have to be outside the car to be legit. I really don't know the exact law, but I know they are clamping down.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The way the new law here in TN is worded, it includes ANY Mobile Device, without defining anywhere in the law what is meant by Mobile Device.
Such a law also makes all law enforcement operating ABOVE THE LAW as usual. They do not have to abide by the LAW!

I don't know about MO, but down here in TN several groups have filed Lawsuits against the state regarding this new law, especially the way it is worded.

Going back to the 1970's and earlier, it was against the law to have any type of TV screen where it could be viewed by the driver. When I worked downtown, sometimes we would be stuck in traffic after an accident for anywhere from a half hour to two hours without moving. I had a portable TV on the floor I would turn on to see if the news showed where the accident was. Or just watch a show while we waited to move. Then I would turn it off and be on my way.
I got stopped one day, don't remember why, but the cop saw the TV, and even though it was turned off, he still wrote me a ticket for it being visible to the driver. I guess he forgot why he stopped me, because that was the only ticket I got.

Now, years later they have all kinds of video screens viewable by the driver, GPS, back-up screens, etc.
So, somewhere along the line the law must have been rescinded.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The law banning use of mobile devices which it does not define as such is poorly written and deserves to be tested in court. In the mean time, if it's mobile, you better not use it while driving.

I think you are stretching it a bit by saying the police are above the law, even in Tennessee. The law is that the police can do things in the performance of their duty as an officer that you can't do as a civilian. If you think the law is unfair, that's the time for a call to your lawyer.

My daughter was sitting in traffic during a snow storm one day. She was stopped in the outer lane of a 4 lane road. Along comes this police car, lights flashing and siren blaring, and rear ended her. It was minor damage, but still damage. The policeman was not held liable according to tort law. He had his lights flashing and his siren going which made it perfectly legal for him to crash into anybody in his way. He explained that my daughter should have pulled off the road which was pretty hard for her to do given the circumstances. It's insane, but that's the law. I ended up paying. To be honest I don't know if the insurance company paid anything. I'm thinking they did not.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think I would have fought that one Yogi. If your daughter was sitting still in the outside lane. This is exactly where she was supposed to be to allow an emergency vehicle to pass in the inside lane.
One of our employees was in the center turn lane to pull into work one morning and a police car plowed right into him. He ended up with a new car compliments of the police department's insurance company. I think the deciding factor in that case was that his vehicle was stationary at the time it was hit.

I was in a strange accident around the time I was 19 years old. It was pouring down rain, and I was following my uncle over to my new house, so when we got close I got out from behind him to pass. This was on a four-lane road. So he was in the outside lane and I was in the inside lane.
We both came on a stopped car straddling both lanes. Uncle went around them on the shoulder, but didn't see what happened to me.
The person in the car straddling the lanes had no lights of any kind on, and just as I passed they opened their drivers side door, which I managed to plow into. Good thing I had slowed down as much as I did, because the driver was also getting out of the car at the same time.
It knocked her door up into her front left fender, and I came to a stop with the door sticking into my hood about 2 inches is all.
Now for the clincher: It turns out that this was the chief of police's wife, who was just in an accident where she rear-ended a car in front of her, and pushed it a long way down the block.
I thought for sure I would be in heap big trouble after finding all that out.
But instead, her insurance covered the damage to my car, and even provided a loaner.
What she was nailed for was blocking a thoroughfare, not having emergency lights flashing, and a few other things. Basically, she should not have turned off her lights, and should have turned on the emergency flashers before attempting to exit the vehicle.
So, although I hit her door, it had something to do with the fact she opened the door with traffic passing.
In any case, I never got into trouble with the chief of police over it, hi hi.

Something similar happened to one of our delivery drivers. Someone opened their door as he was driving by. Didn't hurt our truck at all but bent the door clear round as he passed. Same here, that persons insurance paid to have our truck fixed which actually had no damage, just a minor scratch is all. They were cited by the police but I don't know what the charge was.

Many years ago, when stoplights used to be on a single pole in the center of the roadway, on a median concrete pillar. The cops were chasing some dude who plowed right into this concrete pillar on his drivers side. His car spun around that pillar knocking another car in the inside lane into one in the outside lane at the red light, then he went backwards into the concrete pillar for the other light across the intersection. His trunk tore open and at least a dozen bowling balls went rolling around all over the place, in every direction, hi hi. We later found out, no he didn't steal them, he bought them at auction earlier that day from a bowling alley that closed down out in Maplewood I think it was. Never hurt those old concrete light pillars either!
yogi

Post by yogi »

The issue in my daughter's accident was that the police car had the right of way. He lost control on the snowy pavement which is why he crashed into her car. Clearly this was all his fault. Also clear was that this type of incident has been in court before and the police found blameless. We could have pursued it but didn't think it was worth the cost. Remember, now, this happened in the state of Illinois. LOL

The unexpected door opening causing a crash is something I've heard conflicting stories about. You are at fault if you hit said door for the same reason you are at fault if some kid unexpectedly runs into the street and you hit him. You are obligated as the driver to avoid accidents which implies you need to anticipate the unexpected road block or bratty little kid running into traffic. Sounds reasonable, but then I've also heard of incidents where the door opening person was at fault. I guess it depends on circumstances and/or the judge.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I know each state and town have their own rules they go by, and they can vary greatly.
I had to pay an 85 dollar fine when someone backed into the front of my car, simply because it was the front of my car and the back of his, even though he said he rolled backwards into me. Didn't matter in that town of Marlborough.

One of my school friends snuck out with his dads new car of which he was not insured to drive, but was insured for his own car. Not that it mattered either way. A couple of kids fooling around kicked the back door open in their car as he was passing them. It hit his dads car in the side right behind the front fender where the door hinges are.
It caused him to spin around also catching the side of their car in the front fender with the front of his car.
It was hard to tell who hit what when due to the damage on both cars.
But the kid admitted to kicking the door open into the side of his car.
Because his dads car was brand new, the insurance company of the car who's door hit him in the side took his car and wrote a check for a new car just like it from the same dealership, without deducting anything for depreciation. The fact he himself didn't have any insurance never came up and no one got a ticket.
Although Jim got grounded for six months by his father. No legal steps were taken against anyone.
He really lucked out that day!

We ran up to the polls to vote this morning, and then out a few miles to meet with my cousin for lunch who came in from Florida. Way to short a visit for sure. But as we were leaving the polls, we saw an older lady pull in to park and her front right tire caught the curb causing her steering wheel to spin to turn right. I guess it scared her and for a split second she hit the gas instead of the brake. Just enough to jump up on the sidewalk before she stopped. But her front right wheel bent a little further around than it should, and after she backed off the curb edge of the sidewalk, and her drivers side tire was straight, the right tire was still pointed a long way to the right. I hope it just pulled the rod apart and not bent the a-frame. Several people stopped to comfort her and call a tow truck so we went on to our luncheon.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That was awful generous of the insurance company to pay for an exact replacement car. I can only assume they figured doing that would be a lot cheaper than being sued. LOL

No matter how much driving experience you have, there are moments when even good drivers make mistakes in judgment. I'm sure the unexpected wheel maneuver confused the lady and caused her to do what she did.

We were notified by our insurance company that they paid off the body shop for repairing that little run in I had with a neighbor. A fender, a bumper, and a headlight came to $1775 they paid plus an additional $250 I had to pay for the deductible. I think the car is only worth about $2500 so that we lucked out there. We will see how lucky we really are when the next premium comes due in March.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The insurance company I had when we had that horrible hailstorm paid me much more than my car was worth, AND let me keep my car without buying it back from them, which is how they usually do things.
If they total a car, you can take the money, or pay them some back to buy your car back as salvage.
I was surprised they didn't work that way. The only thing they did was add a rider that said the car had hail damage and would not be covered for hail damage repairs, AND if I was in an accident where I needed body work, they would deduct from my payment the estimated cost to fix the hail damage on that part of the car from the final bill.
I understood why they did that, so it was no biggie.
After I bought Debi a car a few years newer than mine, I dropped full-coverage and moved it over to her car. The reason for this is, we often rent vehicles, and our insurance will cover a rental if we have full-coverage on our newest vehicle, even if it is an old vehicle, hi hi. I drive 1997 Blazer, and she has a 2002 Blazer.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is a point where it makes sense to not have insurance to cover damages to your car. Insurance companies only consider the intrinsic worth of the car and not what it would cost to repair a car with little or no market value. Thus the cost of the premiums need to be balanced against the cost of out of pocket repair should you need to do such a thing. I tend to keep cars a long time, maybe not as long as you do, and their sales value drops below their salvage value somewhere along the line. You should not be paying premiums to cover it's repair at that time. Well, that's the theory. I never sat down to look at the numbers and I'm probably paying more than I'll ever get back even if we total both cars.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm only paying something like 80 dollars every six months over liability only to have full-coverage on the frau's car.

At a time when we were renting cars to go home or to go visit someone, we were coming out ahead doing so.
But now that we only go somewhere perhaps once a year, buying the rental companies extra insurance might be the cheaper way to go. If I recall, the one time I did pay for their add-on insurance it was something like 45 bucks for the two weeks I had the car. It is probably higher now though.