TinyPics Demise

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: TinyPics Demise

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya Yogi. The way my health is going downhill now, it took me two days longer than it should to get a small order out for my product. Totally wore me out after only a half hour of work, then I have to rest for an hour. And it is not hard work either.
So far, my brain stays fairly active. At night in bed before I fall asleep I work a couple of crossword puzzles and some sudoku puzzles. On the really hard ones, that take an hour to work, I may only get one puzzle done that night. But doing things like that keep me alert and the mind churning. Even though I've been at the computer all day every day too.

I turn 72 on Saturday, another notch on the downhill belt.
Watch Out - The downhill side of the mountain is littered with logs and boulders, it is not clear sailing, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

A fellow scorpion; I'm not surprised. :mrgreen:

One of the benefits I get from combating Linux is the mental exercise. I did this kind of stuff for a living. Back then I got paid for it so that I enjoyed it more, but there are benefits now too. When a problem has been solved there is a sort of mental elation I experience. I feel as if my brain actually grew a few more cells. I'm sure it's all psychological, but it all has a noticeable and positive effect upon my mental well being. And, if the brain is working well, so should the body. Well, that's a myth too. LOL I never did suduko but I am still a crossword puzzle fan. That's a different kind of exercise but it certainly does keep the cob webs out of the space between my ears. I'm leaning in the direction of favoring sanity over dementia, but the jury is still out as to which is better. :lol:
Last edited by yogi on 24 Oct 2019, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I'm crazy as a loon and everyone has known it for decades.
People could not believe I would put so much work into developing a product or business, get it going and profitable, only to turn around and sell it as soon as it was.
What they don't understand is once the business is successful and running smooth, after that is only boredom and rote routine work. The challenge is gone.

You should try Sudoku, there is NO MATH INVOLVED in working those puzzles.
They use Numbers to actually make working them simpler.
Pictures or Glyphs could replace the numbers, since no math is needed.
Most of the store bought puzzle books are super easy. But you can order those that are harder than level 5 from some publishers. That being said, once you get harder than level 8, they become a nightmare to solve, and I don't like wracking my brain that much, hi hi. I like Hard ones, as long as they are solvable using the simpler tricks to do so.
It's sorta like crossword puzzles, some are so easy they are boring, while others are so convoluted I tear them up and toss them in the trash. Herald Tribune is about the hardest of crossword puzzles I like, Hate the NY Times puzzles.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I never completed a New York Times puzzle unassisted, and I had a lot of those crossword puzzle word books too. These days there are apps and computer programs to take the place of a thesaurus. The challenge in crosswords is to find the secret code used by the puzzle maker. Most of the words are common, but the clues are very tricky and sometimes misleading. Figuring all that out is the challenge for me. I tried making a few crosswords of my own. Never got to complete one. Making one is infinitely more difficult than solving one.

Sudoko is not a math problem; I understand that. It's all about pattern recognition. After a certain level of difficulty the solutions are not straight forward. A lot of trial and error must be exercised at that point, and that is what I don't like about that kind of puzzle. I hate working my way to a dead end and then have to backtrack. LOL

The clever phone has sudoko apps, but I found one that is even better. I'm not sure I can do justice to it and describe it well here, but you can look up the blurb for a game called 2048. That should be a familiar number in that it's a power of 2; 2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512-1024-2048. The game is played on a grid that is typically 4x4 but can be made larger or smaller. Two tiles with the number 2 on them start the game. Sliding those tiles together would produce a single tile with the number 4. Another tile with 2 on it appears after the first slide. Like tiles are moved into each other and merged to show the summation of the match. One wins by making a tile showing 2048 before you run out of spaces to move tiles. They claim it's a classic but I never heard of it until a few days ago. It's addictive and challenging. Some strategy is involved, similar to sudoko I'd suppose but in this case a tiny bit of math is involved too. One disadvantage of playing a game like this is that the screen on the phone is on for the entire time. The battery goes down pretty quickly.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I used to have time to play a lot of those types of games. Now, I only have a couple of games I play as I take a break from what I'm doing, usually something to let my brain change gears as I move from one type of job to another.

I still play games like FreeCell and Spider during short rest breaks, but that's about it.