Exculpate

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Exculpate

Post by yogi »

ME: Google, what does exculpatory mean?

GOOGLE: tending or serving to exculpate

________
Editor's Note: Google collects and saves everything you ever do with their browser (they do, you can look it up) as well as what you do in any of their other services; such as their search engine Their justification for doing all this spying is to form a profile of you so that it may give you the most relevant help/answers when you ask for it. If you know me so damned well, Google, why don't you know the reason I looked up exculpatory is because I don't know what it means to exculpate?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Exculpate

Post by Kellemora »

Ha, ha, ha... Par for the course with Google.

Of course Google doesn't think it 'did anything wrong,' hi hi.

Sorry, had to play with that one!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Kudos to you. I couldn't think of a good pun which is why I didfn't include it in my post.

Technically speaking Google answered my question correctly. And, even though they know a lot about my activities on the Internet, I doubt they would have full knowledge of my vocabulary list. They used to be better at making search results relevant. Something changed within the last year or six months. I've not tested this search on other search engines, but I can say I avoid Bing just because they are so bad at answering what I ask. On rare occasion their off beat responses actually does a better job than Google. But I'm seldom looking for random and offbeat. I usually want to know something specific; more specific than most search engines can give me apparently.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've had really good luck using WebCrawler when I really need to know something.
Of course, you have to go down beyond all the ads that appear at the top, but they seem to find what I'm looking for on the first page, while Google sometimes takes me to the third page before I find what I want.

Since I use Google Chrome as my normal web browser, I usually use them first, but when I'm trying to research something where I need the best info available, WebCrawler usually comes through for me. Especially if a name or company name is involved.
Just last week I was trying to verify some information my late father gave to me regarding an instrument he passed down to me. I know my dad never made up stories, but this time I wanted to make doubly sure. On the plus side, other things he gave to me over the years, along with a story about them, all turned out to be 100% true, and most was verifiable online, while some things I had to write to descendants of some of those named to see if their father may have told them the same story, or information about something. This proved fruitful a couple of times because they provided me with even more information.
I used Google first and found a few things, but not exactly what I was after. Switched over to WebCrawler and right there on the first page was exactly what I was looking for. And not only that, three different stories verified what was contained in my dad's story. I was even able to verify the names of the individuals he mentioned as well. So now I can offer the item, after a wee bit more research, with full-documentation and a verified traceable history.
Needless to say, I'm a happy camper over finding dad's story 100% accurate and true.

In the past I've used all sorts of search engines, some designed to search for specific things, but honestly, WebCrawler seems to work the best for me most of the time.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You've mentioned WebCrawler in the past, but I have not had an opportunity to give it a test drive yet. One trick I've used with Google is to treat my queries in similar fashion as I do on the clever phone. The phone has a personal assistant built in that will take verbal questions or instructions and act upon them. After a while it becomes natural to ask it questions the same as you might ask a fellow human being. I guess that is the strategy in order to make it seem friendly to use. While it's cute on the phone that natural query language does not always translate well to browsers. Browsers like keywords more than rational sentences. So all I need to do is type in "Barcelona" and I get back the location and geographical run down for the city in Spain. I'll also get a list of wines made there and maybe the results of the 2010 census. I could modify that and type in "where is Barcelona" and get the same results. That is the frustration. It does not always take into consideration anything outside of the keyword. At one time it did, but Google has changed its ways.

If I think about it I'll do a comparative search next time I'm looking for something specific.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've noticed that about google search also. I often end up with a string behind the query word of -this -that -theotherthing, hi hi.
This is why I keep jumping over to WebCrawler when I need to find something using the entire string. Seems to still work well, although I've not done a lot of searches, except for a couple important items recently.

I used DuckDuckGo a few times, but it didn't find what I was looking for.
When doing genealogy I used TruthFinder a few times, but forgot I had it in a bookmark.
DogPile almost faded away but is making a comeback.
Even so, as long as WebCrawler gets what I'm after, I've not really looked at any others of late.