The Hall Typewriter

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

The Hall Typewriter

Post by yogi »

They claim this is the world's first laptop typewriter, but that's about all it has going for it. LOL
I can't imagine anyone actually using one of these things.

https://boingboing.net/2019/03/07/marti ... ction.html
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: The Hall Typewriter

Post by Kellemora »

Interesting find there Yogi! I've never seen one like it, ever.
My grandmother had a Ford typewriter, they claim it was the first typewriter where you could see what you were typing.
It was a big heavy beast too. After grandma passed away, my uncle Clarence sold it for a fairly hefty price to Belle Starr Antiques down the street from us. In fact, they bought a heck of a lot of stuff from us over the years, and always paid more than we expected to get for the items.
There were even a couple of times when they came by and gave the family more money, because they resold something for more than they thought it was worth, much higher than their normal markup. You don't find honest folks like that around much anymore.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Every once in a while I find a gold nugget on Twitter, and that Hall Typewriter fits into that category. I'm not surprised that the antique dealer was good enough to pay you the fair price. Antique dealers are classy people. Now if it was a pawn shop, that would be a different story.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Could be they didn't want to irk our family too. We were a major source of a lot of the things they sold in the antique store. I would say they got nearly everything from my great-grandfathers house as the years went on, and other family members didn't want the stuff.
Plus, finding old things from the downtown was a hobby of many of our relatives.
Almost all of them started out poor, so cobbed whatever they could get, then as they replaced the hand-me-down items with new, most of those things ended up being stored in our warehouses. Then from the warehouses up to Belle Starr Antiques, when someone got a notion they needed more room in the warehouse for something else.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I noted in an earlier thread that you fit the profile of a pack rat (in a good way, LOL). It never occurred to me that your entire family was like that and that you needed a warehouse in which to store your collections. Apparently you gave Belle Starr Antiques a lot of goods to help their business. I can now understand why they treated you so well.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I held an auction at my house before moving south, the auctioneer said he had never seen such a diverse collection of items in his entire career. Most things went for next to nothing, but a couple of things really brought in some big bucks. One of the toys I had fetched a thousand dollars, at auction, so you know it was worth a pretty penny.
The auction came after I unloaded a lot of stuff on eBay and after a couple of garage sales.

The above did not include any of the antique toys I had in my office downtown that were stolen by the FBI.