flooding france...

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

flooding france...

Post by pilvikki »

these floods are bloody insane! every few months there's a new one, this time just down the road from us.

the kids work 30 mins west and things looked perfectly normal, same as here. but just 15 mins down the road the town of Limoux is drowning. and it's not even the worst. even the hospital in carcassonne is flooded.

unreal.

one guy told the kids that they were lucky to live up on higher ground... i told him it had nothing to do with luck as i once had a house on a floodplain, i wasn't going there again. still, i'd have not expected anything like this!
yogi

Re: flooding france...

Post by yogi »

As you must know we have been suffering from attacks by hurricanes lately -- about the same time you have been flooding. The news from France has not been as prominent as our local problems, but I did in fact see a few mentions of the flooding on Twitter. All I knew at the time was it's in southern France. I had no idea it was just down the road from you. It's pretty scary stuff.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hope you stay high and dry Pil!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

it's nutso, but what i find peculiar is how it picks areas. i think it was paris - toulouse - marseille - carcassonne.

you'd think flood-prone areas would get hit over and over, instead of here and there? and get this, the new hospital (by a couple of years) is built on the floodplane! seriously?

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Saint- ... 1228?hl=en
yogi

Post by yogi »

Building on a flood plane is asking for trouble, not to mention super high insurance rates because flood disasters are imminent. I can imagine why it's hit and miss with the flooding. Rain does not fall in a uniform pattern. It's a little bit here and a little bit there. I'm assuming the flood planes are not connected. If a stream or river connected them, then I would be amazed if they did not all flood at the same time.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Where a cloud drops its rain has a lot to do with which creeks and rivers catch the bulk of it.
Living here in the mountains, it is not uncommon for normally dry creeks to become flooded while the normally wet creeks are almost dry.
A quick glance at a topographical map and compare it to where the rainfall is heaviest will show who's going to get their feet wet in short order.