Smart Phones?

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Smart Phones?

Post by yogi »

Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Smart Phones?

Post by Kellemora »

Hmmm, none I've owned are pictured up there.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't recall seeing all those Motorola phones, but it's obvious our forté was the walkie talkie business. :mrgreen:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the kids started off with they grey brick, my favourites were the nokias, of course. loved the fact that i could get reception at my house (by the kitchen window) where no others picked up any signal at all.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Nokia was Motorola's biggest competitor. We at Motorola had to move our manufacturing out of the country in order to cut the labor costs and be competitive. The other choice was to go out of business. I lost my job when they cut 40,000 people from the payrolls.
I'm not bitter at all about it. :thundermad:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i hear you... rather than find me a job to match my injuries they were responsible for and which kind of jobs there were plenty of, i got ditched. not amused.

and then nokia got sold off to microsoft and went down the drain.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I recall Nokia getting sold off, but not to whom. Microsoft sounds like just the right company to destroy a phone manufacturing operation. They tried a few times on their own and failed. I'm thinking of getting one of them there new Pixel phones when they upgrade sometime in October.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

nokia apparently has picked itself out of the ashes, but no... i'm no longer interested.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There are so many other choices. I don't blame you for looking beyond Nokia. Apparently Motorola (now owned by Lenovo) is making some decent mid-ranged phones. I might look at them, but I'm leaning toward the high end products this time around.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

you may have noticed i'm rather fond of taking pictures and since it's impractical to log around my nikon etc, i want a phone that takes half decent ones. maybe next time...
yogi

Post by yogi »

One or the reasons I'm looking at Google's Pixel 3 XL phone is that it is highly rated for it's photography capabilities. The iPhone isn't bad either. Both are top of the line premium phones, meaning that you will pay a lot just for the name. Kind of like buying designer jeans. They are pants no matter who makes them but the price depends on the name.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

True that!
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Catch up time. I was happy with a Nokia ExpressMusic... Then in the job I was obliged to use Whatsapp... There it came a Samsung S3 I rescued from a public recycling bin (legally I can claim I recycled it down here, since that was just what I did and have the training and credentials to support the claim...) But recently a Moto X Play in a pawn store caught my eye and I"ve been using it since my 47th bday... The cuetlalxochitl photos at Zuckerberger's were taken with it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I like to think of myself as tech savvy, but I've been out of technology professionally for nearly 20 years. While I'm aware of all the smart phone capabilities because I worked for Motorola 36 years, I never upgraded past my old LG flip phone. Truth is that I don't need all the smartness in today's phones, but I am attracted to the photography aspects. I see modern phones as being computers that also can make phone calls. My thinking could change if I had a universe full of apps at my disposal, but for the time being this desktop computer is serving all my needs. The next opportunity to make a decision will be tomorrow, Cyber Monday. If I can find a Pixel at a true discount ... I might take some pictures for you. :mrgreen:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

so, did you get it a decent price?