14 Year Old Governor

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

Re: 14 Year Old Governor

Post by pilvikki »

i used to take the aluminum milk jug and walk across the field to the neighbour for some milk. once i sent my sister instead and she tripped. and cried.
yogi

Post by yogi »

doesn't sound like a good idea. did the milk taste like aluminum?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Most aluminum containers used with foodstuffs and/or for drinks have a thin plastic coating inside.
Anything acidic will eat away at the aluminum fast. All soda cans are plastic lined!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Didn't realize soda cans had a liner in them. There is citric acid in a lot of sodas so that lining them would make sense.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The concern is the plastic coating has BPA, which they say increases blood pressure.
I've not found any tests that show this as factual.
I looked into it considering I drink 10 to 12 drinks per day from aluminum cans.
I like aluminum because it can be smashed to save space, and recycled, which we do also.
The frau keeps all the recycling money to pay for short little trips from time to time.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I hear the same BPA stories, but that's not what bothers me about soda. The carbonation isn't the most healthy stuff you could ingest. Then there is the lethal sugar or sugar substitutes. You certainly must consume A LOT of soda in your household to make it worth selling the metal.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I drink about 10 cans of soda a day, and have for over 40 years.
Well, some of that time, in the early years, it was in glass bottles.
Although I no longer drink Pepsi, for about 20 years I was called The Pepsi Kid!
I don't think anyone ever saw me without a bottle or can of Pepsi in my hand.
My brother even had a large mug for me that says THE PEPSI KID etched into it!

I won't drink or eat anything that has Aspartame in it, or Saccharin for that matter.
So this only leaves a few brands of soda I can drink, and most grocery stores do not carry them, or if they do, not enough to keep me supplied in soda.
Pepsi quit making PepsiONE, so I switched to Choke-A-Cola Yellow Band. I'm not to fond of Coke but that's what I am currently buying because RC decided to stop production of Diet RC, which is my favorite of them all. Hopefully RC will restart making their product in September. They were the ONLY soda bottler that did not have ACE-K in their product.
I did by a pallet full of Diet Shasta Cola when nobody had any of the others in stock. That stuff tastes more like medicine than Choke-A-Cola. I'll take Diet Rite ahead of Shasta any day of the week.
While RC was making Diet RC, my local grocer kept a pallet load in the back of his store just for me, and also 1.50 cheaper than anyone else.

Speaking of stores: Let's look at Diet Rite or Choke-A-Cola Yellow Band in 12 can fridge packs
WalMart Everyday Low Price is $4.88
Kroger regular price $4.40, sale price $4.00
Our local grocer $3.50, sale price $3.25, and sometimes a super sale price of $2.75 for Diet Rite.

The biggest problem with Kroger's sale price is they offer 3 cartons for 12 bucks, but they only stock 2 cartons and refuse to sell the only 2 cartons they have at the sale price. They have absolutely nothing else to make up the 3rd carton.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My first experiences with cola was Pepsi. I drank it daily but not nearly to the extent you did. Shortly after I started drinking it, I started to have nightmares and occasionally would walk in my sleep. My parents were really shaken by that, but nobody could figure out why I did it or how to stop it. Then, one time for whatever reason, mom could not buy Pepsi on her weekly shopping trip (to Kroger by the way). I had no nightmares that week. When we restocked the Pepsi, the sleep walking came back and we all knew then what was doing it. I switched to Coke, which was like substituting arsenic for cyanide, and no problem. It just tasted way way way too sweet. Apparently the Pepsi had a hella lot more caffeine than did Coke. I looked up Pepsi One just before this reply and they had a tremendous amount of caffeine in their product. So, I'm guessing you are addicted to that.

Not too long after my nightmare problem was solved, RC Cola was invented. Drinking that was almost like drinking water, only it tasted better. I suppose that was the case because it was highly diluted cola. LOL Diet RC was the rage when that was introduced. No diet drink gets past my pallet. It tastes like excrement and I refuse to use it. It's all moot now because I do not drink carbonated soda of any kind.

So, I'm now 73 years old and keep clear of caffeinated sodas. However, I down four cups of coffee every day. I started drinking coffee to that extent when I had blood sugar problems. The fruit juices I was drinking had high concentrations of sugar (fructose). The amazing thing is I do not have nightmares nor do I have problems sleeping. My last cuppa coffee is at 3PM which may explain why I can fall asleep easily. My body tolerance for caffeine has obviously changed, but not so with sugar. I'm glucose intolerant and to be honest I don't mind that. It's impossible to avoid sugar altogether, but I make sure it's kept to a minimum in my diet. If I need a sweetener now, I tend to use agave nectar. It's the closest thing to a sweet taste without actually being sugar. It may even be healthy for you and certainly is not addictive.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do pay attention to how much caffeine and sodium I take in during the day.
Never let the caffeine cross 150mg, and keep the sodium under 750mg from all sources.
I don't drink coffee, never have and never will. It is more addicting than soda, mainly because of the tannins found in coffee and tea.
I've gone several months drinking only Diet Rite, which is zero everything, hi hi. No sodium, no caffeine, etc.
I've never noticed any difference between drinking caffeinated or non-caffeinated drinks.
Could be because I've drank both for so many years I've become immune to it, hi hi.
I do sleep well, once I fall asleep, I'm like a dead log the thunder won't wake me. Albeit the dogs jumping on me like a trampoline usually wakes me up.
I did buy a few soda brands via special order sweetened with Stevia. I also use Stevia in cereal and a few other things.
I've learned a little about Stevia and why the different brands have such vastly different qualities, some really taste bad too.
It has to do with when the leaves are picked. Some companies only use certain leaves at a certain time, while others just devour the whole plant in their grinders. Naturally, the higher quality Stevia also fetches a much higher price too.
I've never tried agave nectar.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Says HERE there was 97mg caffeine in 20 oz of Pepsi One. If you were drinking 80 oz a day, I'm sure you OD-ed on it. It says HERE at the end of the first paragraph that Pepsi Zero weighs in at 69mg caffeine for a 12 oz drink (or 115mg per 20 oz). Thus, it turns out that zero is greater than one. :mrgreen:

I am very fortunate to not need to watch my sodium intake. That could all change in the future but for now all I do is count the carbs in the food I eat. I'm not sure about all the implications of glucose intolerance, but that is apparently what I have, which is not the same as diabetes. Until I had to do a little research I never realized how efficient the body was at converting carbohydrates into sugar. I also didn't realize how many sources of carbohydrates exist. My wife counts calories. The way I see it is that I don't need to worry about calories if I keep the carbs within limits. They go hand in hand. Plus, if I were not so lazy in my old age and exercised more, I probably would not have to worry about any of it. Sitting here at the computer is not a good thing, so they tell me.

I don't know much about Stevia but like agave it is extracted from a common plant. Agave comes form cacti and is readily available in all the groceries around here. That's amazing because for most things I like only one store will stock it. The others stock different items I like. To do a complete shopping tour I might have to visit three stores. And, not one of them has a decent rye bread to offer. :bleh:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, they don't make PepsiONE anymore. But a 12oz can used to have 57.1mg.
Right now I drink Diet Coke Splenda which has 34.4mg
In between each, and in the afternoon I drink Diet Rite which has 0.0mg.
So I'm not having a problem keeping under around 150mg a day. Even 200mg is OK.
Diet RC which is made with Splenda has 47.3mg, so I usually limit them to 3 cans a day, and Diet Rite the rest of the day.

Caffeine is actually good for us, provided you don't overdo it. Has lots of health benefits under 300mg day.
Let me see if I can find a link. Aha here is one!

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/top-10 ... h-benefits

A single 12oz serving of coffee can have anywhere from 140 to 1200mg of caffeine, so one cup of coffee can put you over the top of the amount of caffeine that is considered healthy.
Most normal coffee brands have 95mg per 8oz cup, which is 140mg in 12oz to compare to soda. 3 cups or 2 mugs of coffee per day will affect even the die hard coffee fans adversely.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

Hm... i generally drink one strong cup in the morning and that's it. but how would i know what amount of caffeine it has? i don't like anything fizzy, so no pop at all. i used to say i only liked coke if it was liberally diluted with rum, but i don't do that any more.

we have this great water filtering system in our fridge, with a notification when it's time to get a new filter. yeah right, so why does the water taste like swamp and fridge, she say not'ing? not amused.
yogi

Post by yogi »

If you need a caffeine fix it can be purchased in powdered form. It's sold as a health benefit, which disregards the stories of people not measuring the stuff properly and committing unintentional suicide. Caffeine is lethal in the wrong doses.

The article Gary cites suggests caffeine may prevent kidney stones, ED, and tinnitus, among other things. Well, I happen to have all three of those problems. They all occurred prior to my increase of caffeine intake. So, maybe that's a factor.

When it comes to brewing coffee and tea, the starting amount of caffeine in the bean or leaf is not the same as what ends up in the cup. There are a number of factors that will affect how much caffeine remains in the brew so that all you can really count on is the starting numbers. 300mg a day might actually be 200mg and will vary from brew to brew. In any case it is a physically addictive drug. Why it's not regulated is beyond me.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

With over 85% of the country addicted to Coffee, which is also considered a Gateway Speed Drug.
More coffee addicts move to using harder drugs than Marijuana users ever have.
I'll try to find the data from the clinical study to post the source.
But if I recall, of the drug addicts in rehab, only like 20% ever used Marijuana, while over 70% were heavily addicted to coffee, more than seven cups per day, and over half of those were still addicted to excessive amounts of coffee.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Marijuana has been banned and regulated since the Great Depression days - or thereabouts. Coffee never had restrictions so that it's not unusual to see such a high number of coffee drinkers turning to hard drugs. There simply are magnitudes more coffee drinkers in the population. That 85% number would apply to adults, I presume. 74 million, or roughly 24% of the population, are minors and less likely to drink coffee. Anyway, you know about statistics, I'm sure. My point is that caffeine intake is not legally restricted in any way. We could imply that it is added to many drinks deliberately to create the addiction. We can suggest the same about refined sugar. Neither caffeine nor sugar are good things, but they both make us feel good.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

According to Reuters, the number of coffee drinkers is the highest since 2012.
The say 64% of Americans over the age of 18 drink coffee.

Jump over to the Coffee Research Org. and they give a total figure of 79%, with 54% consuming more than 3 cups per day.

As far as coffee leading to harder drugs, it was not due to the number of coffee drinkers vs marijuana users as a head count. It was a percentage of the number of coffee drinkers who moved on to harder drugs vs the the number of marijuana users who moved on to harder drugs.
I looked for it again and couldn't find where I read it. But it was something like only 5% of marijuana users went to harder drugs, while over 12% of coffee drinkers went to harder drugs.
On this same study, they also had some other figures about how many of those already addicted to drugs still used marijuana or coffee. The number was startling to say the least. Nearly 100% of the drug addicts still used coffee, while only around 70% of marijuana smokers still drank coffee.
I realize the numbers they get are swayed heavily by how the questions are asked.
Ironically, only about 2/3 of marijuana smokers also smoke cigarettes, while around 1/3 have never smoked cigarettes.

There is one interesting phenomenon from a private study done by a large corporation back in the 1980s.
I think it was the corporate offices of US Steel Company where this was done.
At that time, smoking was not an issue, but spilled coffee cups apparently were.
I think the pool of employees who agreed to join in the test was over 700. If I recall it was 776.
They put one group on one floor of the building, and the other group on another floor.
No coffee was allowed on one floor, and no soda on the other floor.
Two key things happened during their study.
On the no coffee floor, sales of soda from the vending machines skyrocketed to over 1000 bottles per day.
While at the same time, production dropped sharply.
On the no soda floor, the sale of coffee only increased by under 100 cups per day.
While production held consistent with normal production levels.

When I worked at MRTC, the big bosses said no drinks of any kind could be brought into the steno pool area.
They changed that policy after only two weeks because production came almost to a standstill.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've read where studies show marijuana is a gateway drug to something stronger, but I've not read anything similar about coffee. Obviously we read different articles. :grin: My thinking is that neither caffeine nor THC is a gateway. That thinking suggest addiction is learned or acquired. That's no more true than saying alcoholics are made. In all those cases there is a predisposition to the addiction at birth. It could be genetic. Some folks fall onto the path, while others manage to avoid it.

I love that study you cite regarding soda and coffee. It lends credence to the theory that coffee is a stimulant improving mental alertness. I must be so brilliant that I glow in the dark if that is true. I would be interested in knowing exactly what soda increased in sales at the vending machines. As we talked about earlier, some soda has a lot more caffeine than coffee. If that is true, then there should not have been a reduction in productivity when coffee was restricted.

At Motorola no food or drinks were permitted in the production area. That rule was made based on health risks. I guess they didn't mind if you breathed in toxic fumes from the wave solder machines, but they didn't want any of the poisons in the atmosphere getting into your coffee.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

this gateway this and that irks me mightily; as you said, we're either predisposed to addictions or we're not. both my parents were PTSD and eventually became alcoholics. i was headed that way when i was doing shift work and had trouble sleeping, a couple of shots every night would... erm... maybe not! even marrying an alcoholic kept me away from it. (that was why i divorced him, had had enough of that shit to last me a lifetime)

my sister also married an alcoholic and that's what she is now. a sad relic from her vivacious, elegant self...

coffee? finns drink the most coffee per capita on the planet. addictions are a big problem there as well. coincidence?
yogi

Post by yogi »

Well, you know what they say. Correlation does not prove causation. There could be an underlying factor common to both addictions. A lot more scientific research is necessary to prove anything. I'll get back to you.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

All the years I worked in an office setting, you could tell who most of the coffee drinkers were, even if you never saw them with a cup of coffee.
Many of them cannot get started working until they've had a few cups of coffee. Often one at home, one on the way to work, and another before coming up to the office. If they don't get their morning fix, they are useless at work until the go on the morning break or later to lunch.
Pay attention sometime and you'll see exactly what I mean.

I think all the soda machines were Choke-A-Cola bottle or can dispensers. They didn't have the designer sodas at the time.