blasted heat...

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

blasted heat...

Post by pilvikki »

it's so sodding hot that i can't run my laptop more than a short while or it starts acting weird... same as myself.

needs a clean up but it's tough to find time to get into town with it. i got one of them fans sitting beneath, but it ain't doing much.
yogi

Re: blasted heat...

Post by yogi »

There are access panels on the bottom of your laptop; two, maybe three of them. You can get at the batteries, memory chips, hard drive, and stuff by removing those panels. However, you can also do a decent cleaning job by removing them.

Unplug the computer, of course, and remove the battery. After that, press the power button. Any residual electrical charge will be dissipated when you try to turn it on with no power connected. Then get out your vacuum cleaner. I'm not convinced if it's better to blow the air into the machine or suck it out. You can do both. Try not to touch any of the innards. Just let the air flow through. Hopefully you will see some dust bunnies removing themselves.

Some people would argue that you need to do this with "clean" air from a can. Well yeah, that would be ideal. But, we live in less than a perfect world. The idea here is to dislodge the dust bundles and move them out. A few particles of meteorite here and there won't harm anything.

Turn the laptop upside down so that the keyboard is facing the table. Then GENTLY tap the back side to shake any loose bits out of the keyboard. You can try vacuuming the keyboard too. Then put it all back together again and pray for the best.

The cooling fan under the laptop is a good idea. I have discovered that placing the laptop on a marble (or other stone) counter top works really well too. The stone acts as a heat sink and will keep things cool enough to prevent crashing.

The heat is generated by your microprocessor running apps in the background. Turn them all off except the one(s) you absolutely need to do whatever it is you are doing. The more tabs you have open in your browser, the more work your processor must do. Cut it down to one or two if possible. It's ok to run hot, by the way, as long as the temperature of the processor stays below 60C (max) for the long term. Try to keep it between 40C-50C if you can. You will need some kind of program to query the sensors that measure the temperature, assuming you have the sensors in the first place. A lot of computers do have them but people don't bother to monitor such things. My point is that "hot" is not always a bad thing.

I don't think the shop in town will do much more that what I described. Then again, if THEY break it, THEY will have to replace it. :mrgreen:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

thanks! i think i'll do just what you suggested. i did try last year, but this is a weird machine, even my techie nephew was swearing before he got it apart to change the keyboard.

still, if that doesn't work, i do have the option of going to town just getting there is the problem with 1 set of wheels..
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your techie nephew is a brave soul. I'd never attempt to replace a keyboard (or monitor) on a laptop. Then again, there are people who make a decent living doing exactly that. Aside from the keyboard and possibly the hard drive you have, there is nothing to wear out inside the laptop. It is the heat the destroys many laptops, which makes it important to stay as cool as you can. They are supposed to shut down automatically when the temperatures approach meltdown, but I know of a few that did not. Molten silicon is not a pretty sight inside your laptop.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

mine starts going psycho with mouse wandering off, things popping up, shutting down... this machine really is not top shelf...
yogi

Post by yogi »

We do what we can with what we have. I'm a big fan of overkill and buy much more than I really need in a computer. That strategy can't be used by everyone, but it works well for me.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, i have bought 3 laptops, one PC in the past 6 years. kids use one for games, the pc is kaput, i don't know where one laptop is and that leaves me loki...

sigh.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I thought Loki was retired a long time ago. Good thing it's still alive and well (sorta).
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

actually, they're all lokis, just the numbers at the end change. couldn't remember which one this version is, so named it loki X.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think that's cheating to give them all the same name in spite of their similarities. LOL