SOB!

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

SOB!

Post by pilvikki »

looks like i got nailed by a tic! on the underside of my wrist of all the odd places.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! and it's developing that typical "alert! lyme!" appearance.

i'm albert sitting and the boys have no treated her, so she could have very well brought in some friends. or, i could have picked it up anywhere, as i was driving everywhere and back yesterday. but i'll blame the boys anyway as i told them a week ago to get on with it. i also react badly to flea bites and must be on their menu listed as 'favourite' as i tend to be the only one getting chewed to ratshit, while others get ignored.

ok then, off to see if i can find some antibio-tics i can tolerate at didi's house... until i see the doc tomorrow.

:thundermad: :thundermad:
yogi

Re: SOB!

Post by yogi »

My old house had about an acre of wooded land. According to my neighbor, the forest was infested with ticks. Her dog was home to most of them. I guess she expected me to somehow rid the woods of them, but I would not know how even if I wanted to do it. There was a large wooden fence between her dog and my forest so that her pooch could not actually come into my back yard. I discounted her rant because I often worked out there and have never so much as seen a tick, much less be a meal for one. So maybe I am one of the lucky ones and don't smell tasty to ticks. It seems to work that way with mosquitoes too. My wife attracts them all and they tend to ignore me.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, i saw the doc and asked him what had bitten me. his learned opinion? a bug, pick any of our vast collection around us, but least likely to have been an infected tic. alrighty then.

you have an advantage there, for all you need are a few possums in your yard, as they'll eat thousands of the wee buggers. they're also immune to lyme disease and ...snake bites i think it was. not pretty, but i sure wish i could bring a few here.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Now that you mention it, there were possums in the back woods. There were quite a few other forms of wildlife too, such a deer which could carry the lyme disease. The worst I ever got out of it was poison ivy and a wasp sting or two. I'm very glad to hear you are not infected by a toxic bug bite.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

you know i have a nice selection of health issues and sometimes i wonder...
when i was around 11-12, i still remember a bite on my thigh. it ended up around 2" diameter, with a white ¼" inch center. almost like a tb vaccination mark.

people were awre of tics (stay away from alders!), but lyme disease? don't know if that even was on the radar with so many other things going around... no vaccinations until polio, just endless servings of penicillin.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I see a time in the future when today's prescription drugs will seem as crude as penicillin does today. We will step into a kind of walk-in microwave oven, get zapped, and be all better again. Then again, penicillin is still around. It's just not used as much as things like Cypro (which just about killed me recently, but that's another story).
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ah, cypro...

i read the literature, said to the doc "there's a warning about possibly snapping a tendon as a side effect and i do already have tendon problems..."
to which he said "if we go with all the warnings, we'd have nothing left."
fair enough, so i took it. and one day leaned on my bed with my left knee to get in as usual... and felt like i'd driven a spike up it!
it took bloody weeks to heal and after that i just said i'd gotten an allergic reaction to it, so he gives me something else the rare occasion i need some. ok, so i did have a reaction to it, but very mild, which saves me from lying, which i'm very bad at.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You don't want to read about my complete medical history, so let it suffice to know that I'm permanently taking blood thinners. Antibiotics of any genre intensify the effects of the blood thinners, which in turn can lead to internal bleeding in the worst case. In spite of the doctor's assurance that Cypro will not interact with the blood thinners, I bruised over a large portion of my legs, felt like I was in a coma, and hurt in places I never knew I had. I was being treated for a skin rash, which got progressively worse under Cypro. Amazingly, it was a lot like an allergic reaction. So much for trusting dermatologists. The people at the wound care center knew what the problem was immediately, and now I'm under the care of a hematologist. :clap:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i somehow ended up added to a flox page dealing with all kinds of nasty side effects to that stuff. i'd Love to know why it's still sold! i mean, fine, it'll solve the problem perhaps, but sometimes a wee bit too permanently. :bleh:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Something similar happened with the warfarin I take for thinning out the blood. It has some nasty potential side effects. In fact it is so nasty that it is the main ingredient in rat poison. I'm not kidding. When it first became publicly available there were law suits and court battles, but in the end the benefits outweighed the possible bad side effects. It looks as if that is how most, if not all, medications are sold. None are perfectly harmless, and only the least risky of them all are allowed to be sold. Least risky is not the same as no risk as some unfortunate people have discovered.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

was it vioxin that was just wonderful for arthritis? and also gave people bleeding ulcers and hearth attacks. i was quite miffed when it was pulled for it worked wonders...
yogi

Post by yogi »

Vioxx was withdrawn from the U.S. market in 2004.

The manufacturer of Vioxx has announced a voluntary withdrawal of the drug from the U.S. and worldwide market. This withdrawal is due to safety concerns of an increased risk of cardiovascular events (including heart attack and stroke) in patients taking Vioxx.

Close, but no cigar. :mrgreen:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, hey that was years ago!

:lol:

i do like the wording of the notification... can't use straight up language can they, no matter what.
yogi

Post by yogi »

"straight up" apparently isn't legal enough. These guys can lose big money if they use the wrong wording.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

cardiovascular events
how stilted does that sound? events? duh. i doubt anyone having an event would think of it that way...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I dunno. In the world of cardiovascular there are events. It's not all heart attacks and strokes. There are so many other events that they have to be grouped into 'cardiovascular' to cover all of them. And that is what the warning is all about. They are not about to list each possible event individually. Thus, they invented the phrase 'cardiovascular events' to comprehensively cover their legal asses.

If you think they are being insensitive to people suffering from such events, you would be correct. All they want is to sell their product and avoid legal battles. If it helps you along the way, that's a bonus they can use in advertising.