finnish sunset

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

finnish sunset

Post by pilvikki »

this guy has some lovely scenery shots

https://www.facebook.com/JukkaRisikkoPhotography/
yogi

Re: finnish sunset

Post by yogi »

Those nature scenes truly are amazing. I've seen a few similar right around home. Of course they weren't post processed to bring out the fine details, but still.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, i saw a stunner last night on our way to toulouse, but my phone and the buggy windshield defeated it.

i doubt this guy used much processing as he left the clouds rather pale instead of pumping up the colour.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That's exactly why I think the photo was "enhanced." There typically is a lot of contrast between the bright setting sun and the dark woods in front of it. No such contrast in the above shot. The picture is very sharply focused too which is hard to do with an infinite focal point. None of that is to take away from the aesthetic beauty of the scene. It takes a good eye to see such a lovely picture in a swamp.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i see what you mean, the trees should be black...

unless it's a sunrise, in which case one often gets more light pour in. :think: let me take a look at some of my own shots.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

nope, trees all be black...

so, how did he get that effect then, unless the sky actually was blood red and he bleached all of it? :think:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I can only guess what the photographer actually did. However, more than likely he adjusted the brightness/contrast of the original shot. Assuming it was taken with a digital camera, noise reduction and sharpening made everything clearer. The sky probably was pretty close to what we see there, given the sun is under the clouds at that time of day yielding a bias toward redness. A color filter of some sort also may have been used as an overlay to give it all some warmth. I don't know half the things that can be done after the fact, and a lot of it is applied creativity. It's just a bit unreal as is, which is why I think there was at least a minimal amount of post processing.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

mind you, the sky that far up north definitely is different, i don't recall a really red sunset at all and nothing like the thick oil painting effect from the other night. i'm thinking less pollution and less air? or would that be more air...?
yogi

Post by yogi »

The redness has to do with the prism effect of the atmosphere and the low angle of the sun. When the sun is that low in the sky, typically just below the horizon, it's light is shining on the underside of the clouds. The clouds act as a projection screen for the filtered light of the sun. Pollution will affect the phenomena, but I don't know if it would enhance or degrade the visuals. I'm not sure why you never saw red in the sky up north. The physics is all the same, I think.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i know what you mean.... lousy memory perhaps? and no photos of sunsets from when i was a kid.

mind you, i do remember one from sept. 1967... i was sitting in the row boat on a wee lake as the sun was setting behind the forest. the sky went from an egg yolk to purple, indigo...

:think: :think:
yogi

Post by yogi »

When my girls were little and living at home one of them asked me what was my favorite color. I didn't hesitate for a second. "Sky-blue-pink" was my answer. The sun being near the horizon brings out both the blue and the red parts of the color spectrum. I think I've seen more red than blue which might have something to do with the clouds in the area. Anyway, the best way I can describe it all is as ... sky-blue-pink. Truly my favorite color.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

my favourite had always been red, but now it's leaning more to the deep wine hues, rather than fire engine.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Like wine, your taste for color has obviously mellowed
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

indeed... :grin:

last night there was another blazing sunset, so for comparison both connor (gr son) and i took pictures with our cameras. his turned out true, mine was all washed out. very! annoying.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Last night's sunset was stunning. It came after a huge damaging storm had passed and it's cloud layer lingered. The entire view outside my window was washed in tones of gold and orange. The unusual part was that it lasted for twenty minutes or more. Generally the beautiful colors are a four or five minute thing. This was also odd given the monotone colors. Too bad I didn't think of trying to photograph it.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, we had a storm yesterday like i've never seen in my life! i posted a brief video on my fb page - brief, because it looked like i was about to wear the doors i was recording through... i think the catdoor in one of the doors saved them as it's missing the flap and would have taken the pressure off.

then i found out about the storms over there, so it's going viral, it seems. :bleh:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Climate change is a global thing.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

at least that's something most people agree on, even though the argument still goes on about the causes.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There are two explanations for climate change; one is scientific and the other is political. I don't think either of them will take it seriously until people have to start moving inland due to the coastlines (and entire states) going under water. The immigration/migration problems we see in the news today will be minor compared to what is yet to come from climate change.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

so i've been following this photographer and was tempted to ask him about adjusting the colours. never got around to it, but then, he posted a shot of a rowan tree (mountain ash) full of RED berries.

oopsie.

those berries may be different colours somewhere else, but in finland they are more orange than red, so i don't have to ask.