Dean Martin 101

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Dean Martin 101

Post by yogi »

Today, 8 June, is the 101st anniversary of Dean Martin's birth. He was an amazing entertainer, even if he wasn't sober at the time. :mrgreen:

https://boingboing.net/2018/06/08/happy ... n-mar.html
pilvikki

Re: Dean Martin 101

Post by pilvikki »

i read that he wasn't much of a drinker, so i looked it up:
His son, Ricci Martin, wrote (in That's Amore: A Son Remembers Dean Martin, p. 55):

Quote:
While it was true that Dad drank, the drunky routines were an act. On stage, and later on the set of his TV show, Dad usually had a J&B scotch and soda he nursed through the performance. It was almost always a weak scotch and soda. Other times it was just apple juice. I never saw Dad drink a martini, although the martini glass logo was frequently used in his TV show promotions and there have been countless martini bars christened in his honor. I suppose much of the association came from the last name he took, but he was never much of a martini drinker.
yogi

Post by yogi »

We had a few bona fide alcoholics in the family, and I can say with certitude that Dean Martin could portray them with a high degree of credibility. It would seem to be against some kind of rules to be drinking on the job, but then Dean Martin was a huge money maker so that I could see how the rules might be bent. Then too, who am I to doubt his son?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, don't forget those days drinking on the job wasn't a big deal. hell, alex, the inspector for dehavilland would show up so drunk he'd fall off his chair! they put him back up, but if he wouldn't stay up, they sent him home! this was in the 80's.
yogi

Post by yogi »

In the '80s the place I worked was doing random drug tests on ALL employees. That only lasted a couple years because some executives in the corporate towers somehow didn't pass the testing. The policy behind the drug testing did not get discarded. If you showed up to work obviously "under the influence" you were terminated unceremoniously. Those execs, by the way, were on prescription drugs; so the story goes.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

no random tests, but some guys did get mailed to rehab, which, apparently did wonders for them. the drunks were accepted, as long as they had plenty of seniority... :bleh:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think there was more tolerance for alcoholics than for drug addicts back at Motorola. Neither was allowed, but you can't tell that some people drink until you see them sober one day.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

there was one guy with advanced liver cancer, who couldn't take the stairs up to the mezzanine, yet the company denied usage for the elevator as it was for freight only. not did they transfer him to the main floor.

what a bunch of bastards, but he took the elevator anyway as it sat around doing nothing most of the day anyway.

he eventually died, no doubt hastened along his way by the booze you could smell on him from 50 yards away.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I know smokers who do the same thing. They wheeze and cough with emphysema while dangling a cigarette from their lips. I guess we all have a choice about how we want to die. Not that it happens the way we prefer, but still there are choices.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

exactly! which brings me to today's subject matter i'd like to discuss "privately". which of the forums are not open to the public?
yogi

Post by yogi »

They are all public except for a hidden Administrator one. Being the sole surviving Admin, only I have the super power enabling me to make private forums when the need arises. Soooo ... if you want to discuss things with all the logged in members and no guest views, that's easy peasy. OR, a private forum can be made for selected members only you need to provide a list of names for that one. OR, if you just want to target a single member, you know, there is the already existing PM (private message) system. No forum needed for that. Let me know how private you need things, and it will happen.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

just between us regulars would be fine: you, gary, cindy... can't think of others atm.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Done. The newly added forum can only be viewed if you are a registered member and logged in. Guests and drive by web crawlers won't know it's there. It's called "Members Only"