plantain

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Topics will be automatically pruned after ten days of inactivity.
pilvikki

plantain

Post by pilvikki » 07 Jun 2018, 14:31

day one: crushed some leaves and rubbed them on my hand.

made tea, which does not taste as bad as expected.

let's see what happens.

yogi

Re: plantain

Post by yogi » 07 Jun 2018, 15:51

My only knowledge of plantains is that they are cooking bananas. I've use them to make a Puerto Rican recipe for mofongo. So ... I don't know what you are rubbing on your hands, but I have a feeling it's not banana peels. LOL

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 08 Jun 2018, 17:49

you're right there!

these are the dudes i'm on about:

https://middlepath.com.au/plant/plantai ... ncture.php

and... as you can clearly see, it'll cure EVERYTHING!

well, i gave my exzema a good rub with it and it's gone from red to pale pink. could be a coincidence, but i'll take it. also relieved the constant congestion i get and that is definitely it! but i will check again tomorrow, forgot to harvest tonight.

my grandmother used it for small cuts and that's what i also use instead of bandaids as i'm a bit of a bleeder.

yogi

Post by yogi » 09 Jun 2018, 07:57

Amazing :xclaim: I had no idea it was called ribwort, but I recognize it from my childhood days. My Polish grandma used to use it to heal everything, and it grew prolifically on the front lawn. She made a drawing salve out of it that would heal wounds in a matter of days. I have no idea what else she put into the salve, but it was very effective from what I recall. I have not seen this stuff anywhere since my childhood. I wonder if I could buy ribwort seeds somewhere.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 12 Jun 2018, 16:22

i can send you some. how many pounds would you like? :lol:

or, you could just walk along any dryish parking lot edge, ditch etc and you ought to find some. i'd use the seeds as they'd be pretty dirty, unless you're way out in the middle of nothing.

www.rareseeds.com/plantain/

rare? hardly, lol!

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 12 Jun 2018, 16:23

i can send you some. how many pounds would you like? :lol:

or, you could just walk along any dryish parking lot edge, ditch etc and you ought to find some. i'd use the seeds as they'd be pretty dirty, unless you're way out in the middle of nothing.

http://www.rareseeds.com/plantain/

rare? hardly, lol!

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 12 Jun 2018, 16:23

i fixed the link in the second post

yogi

Post by yogi » 12 Jun 2018, 17:24

Thanks for the link(s). I may try to order some, but the soil here is yellow clay. Few things grow well in it. Weeds, however, seem to thrive - but not the same weeds as I grew up north.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 9 minutes ago

no need! the gardener has not shown up and i have a solid 2' across the yard... i'll be checking for ripeness - unless it rains tomorrow. again.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 9 minutes ago

no need! the gardener has not shown up and i have a solid 2' across the yard... i'll be checking for ripeness - unless it rains tomorrow. again.