plantain

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

plantain

Post by pilvikki »

day one: crushed some leaves and rubbed them on my hand.

made tea, which does not taste as bad as expected.

let's see what happens.
yogi

Re: plantain

Post by yogi »

My only knowledge of plantains is that they are cooking bananas. I've use them to make a Puerto Rican recipe for mofongo. So ... I don't know what you are rubbing on your hands, but I have a feeling it's not banana peels. LOL
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

you're right there!

these are the dudes i'm on about:

https://middlepath.com.au/plant/plantai ... ncture.php

and... as you can clearly see, it'll cure EVERYTHING!

well, i gave my exzema a good rub with it and it's gone from red to pale pink. could be a coincidence, but i'll take it. also relieved the constant congestion i get and that is definitely it! but i will check again tomorrow, forgot to harvest tonight.

my grandmother used it for small cuts and that's what i also use instead of bandaids as i'm a bit of a bleeder.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Amazing :xclaim: I had no idea it was called ribwort, but I recognize it from my childhood days. My Polish grandma used to use it to heal everything, and it grew prolifically on the front lawn. She made a drawing salve out of it that would heal wounds in a matter of days. I have no idea what else she put into the salve, but it was very effective from what I recall. I have not seen this stuff anywhere since my childhood. I wonder if I could buy ribwort seeds somewhere.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i can send you some. how many pounds would you like? :lol:

or, you could just walk along any dryish parking lot edge, ditch etc and you ought to find some. i'd use the seeds as they'd be pretty dirty, unless you're way out in the middle of nothing.

www.rareseeds.com/plantain/

rare? hardly, lol!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i can send you some. how many pounds would you like? :lol:

or, you could just walk along any dryish parking lot edge, ditch etc and you ought to find some. i'd use the seeds as they'd be pretty dirty, unless you're way out in the middle of nothing.

http://www.rareseeds.com/plantain/

rare? hardly, lol!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i fixed the link in the second post
yogi

Post by yogi »

Thanks for the link(s). I may try to order some, but the soil here is yellow clay. Few things grow well in it. Weeds, however, seem to thrive - but not the same weeds as I grew up north.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

no need! the gardener has not shown up and i have a solid 2' across the yard... i'll be checking for ripeness - unless it rains tomorrow. again.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I doubt the seeds would make it past customs. They have laws against weed over here.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:lol:

we'll see...

i just sent a parcel to me sister and it contains sleeping pills... interesting to see if they come back with a snarky note.

this is something i don't like doing, but the old hen's in bad shape and the doctor here prescribed them when she was visiting, so i don't see a problem. in sweden they have a total paranoia about them.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Until recently we here in what used to be America prohibited drugs that were imported from outside the country. I see where Canada now has permission to send us their drugs - or at least that was the case yesterday. It's a 50/50 chance that the customs people will inspect the contents of a package. I guess it all depends on the way you write up the declaration.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the seeds are smaller than cream of wheat, so not likely to set off any bells or whistles. :grin: :grin:
yogi

Post by yogi »

How about dogs with super sensitive noses?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

all doggies have super sensitive noses, but i hardly expect their training to extend to the regular grass... :mrgreen:
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are right, of course. I tried to send a CD to a friend in Canada one time, and it never got past customs. It was never returned either. So, I have little trust in those guys.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i know what you mean... did i mention the advice i got from a friend about parcels? the one about dropping it to a tile floor before heading to the post office. why? because... if anything broke, you just saved yourself the postage, for it would have broken in transit anyway.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Good point, although I don't think I'd go to that extreme. Then again, I like to shop online for items I can't get in the shops around town. One such item is a cracker made from stone ground wheat. It was abundant up north, but nearly invisible down here. So, I found it in a cyber outlet store, Jet.com (run by WalMart) and ordered half a dozen boxes. They were delivered promptly but without padding inside the container. Thus I ended up with cracker crumbs instead of wafers. You would think something as light as crackers would not suffer any damage. Well, think again.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

did you yell at them, that was pure laziness!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Yelling would be pointless. All they needed to do was to wrap the cracker boxes in bubble wrap before placing them on the bottom of the shipping container. Simple solution, but who do you tell about it? Then, how do you make the robot who packs the boxes comply? Too complicated. However, I found a smaller company who will also ship the crackers. There STILL was some collateral damage, but nothing like what happened via jet.com

So, now, when I go to the single store in town that sells these things, I clean out their entire stock. That's only a few boxes because this stuff is not all that popular. The truly amazing part is that crackers have minimal damage when bought in the store. Apparently they have different methods of shipping fragile foods.