Peeling Off

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Peeling Off

Post by yogi »

You know Bob Ross, the artist, right? He's the guy who can paint something beautiful during the course of a half hour television show. One of his famous techniques is the masking of the canvass so that when the painting is finished he will peel off the contact paper to reveal a cameo of sorts. I've seen it done several times, but there is a video showing the technique in all its splendor.

https://boingboing.net/2018/03/06/zen-o ... ng-of.html
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Peeling Off

Post by Kellemora »

Remember Jon Gnagy?
He was the Bob Ross of my era.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Sorry Gary. I don't recall ever hearing about Jon Gnagy. You must be from a different era. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Jon Gnagy first aired in 1946, the first transmission on the new Channel 4 tower atop the Empire State Building in NY.
After syndication, his show aired on NBC I think it was from 1950 to 1960. 13 years on the air!
His shows were all in Black and White, and he explained the colors he used and blended, but if you had his Art Kits, you could see the colors in the book and the drawings, most of them step by step.
The reason he sold so many kits probably had to do with the fact his show was in black and white.

Bob Ross ran on PBS from 1983 to 1994, 11 years on the air, then moved to Internet video's.
I saw very few of his shows, due to work and family.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

it figures, i much preferred the Before pictures.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The 'before' picture has ragged edges, which might be just fine in some cases. The 'after' picture is much cleaner. However, the point of the video, I presume, it so shock and awe the viewer into a Zen state of mind. Peeling off the contact paper is the vehicle.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i seem to have missed the point of the zen part completely and the cleaner edges make it look very stiff and unnatural...
yogi

Post by yogi »

The clean edges give the illusion of the picture being framed. I think that's pretty clever.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

true, but still.... :think:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Not everybody is into cameos, I suppose