spring?

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

spring?

Post by pilvikki »

really? it was warmer in january! again. this weather is nuts. first time in my 5 + yrs here i saw snow on the hills not related to the mountains.

my bananas died, ditto lemon and lime trees that had survived the previous winters.

not amused. :worry:
yogi

Re: spring?

Post by yogi »

Hey! According to those who know, it's just the ending phase of the last Ice Age. The weather will be back to normal again in a few thousand years. No need to fret.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

waiting....

Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think the groundhog LIED. It snowed here this morning.
Where's the Global Warming we were promised by Al Gore?
yogi

Post by yogi »

Hard to believe that global warming is causing the unusual snow patterns, isn't it? Well, it is!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Once we reach the bottom of the current ice age and the next one begins, the poly-TICK-ians will have a new issue to claim, Global Cooling.
My friend in New Zealand says they are having unseasonal really warm weather. Perhaps that's why we are getting snow, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Most likely you are getting snowed upon due to the elevated temperatures in the south Pacific Ocean. This is causing Pacific air to scoot up the western coast, into Alaska, and over the north pole where it is melting the polar ice cap and raising temperatures to the freezing point. The displaced cold air masses are being pushed south where they are clashing with the warm humid air down there. The weather patterns are no longer moving west to east as they have done traditionally for centuries. It's more like a sine wave now. There is no stopping or manipulating the natural sun spot cycles, the main influence upon our weather. But, it is proven beyond scientific certainty that human activity is contributing to the warming; accelerating it. It's a shame that this intervention by human activity has been politicized, but such is history from which mankind apparently has not learned from.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

and not the only one either... :worry:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Maybe old planet earth is getting close to the point when it will WOBBLE again?
yogi

Post by yogi »

LOL - it wobbles now, but not a lot. The amazing part of that story is how they know. I have no idea how wobulation of the earth would be measured.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

¿Remember I was complaining two months ago that we were hovering the 0 in the Celsius scale? About a month ago the weather switched to daily minimums of 15 and maximums of 25, also Celsius... We have been in our version of spring for a month already.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think they measure it different now, but it used to be done using Chandler Wobble calculations.
Today, I'm fairly certain they use laser measurements, but how or to what I don't know.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, i promised more pictures once it stops raining. well, it did for 2 days since, but the psycho wind took care of my wondering about with a camera. so, here's a couple of satellite images, even though it's from 2011, you'll see the trees very well:

https://www.google.fr/maps/@43.122588,2 ... !1e3?hl=en

follow the prunus road to the end, then skip off to the entrance to the village and there's more:

https://www.google.fr/maps/@43.1296317, ... !1e3?hl=en

it's a lovely sight driving into the village, which, btw has very narrow streets due to the sycamores littering the place, lol! this is the main drag of the village, to your right the 'city hall'. every village has a town hall, no matter how big or small. and a post office, if rarely open...

https://www.google.fr/maps/@43.1247421, ... 6656?hl=en
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Now that was cool! (The last link)
I followed the road all the way out past the farm lands.
Up and down a few streets, plus the street with the tree in the middle of the road, hi hi.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i love the fact that the trees get to stay, even if they're an inconvenience for drivers, who have to slalom around them and other drivers. unfortunately though those trees are very costly in upkeep, so if they have to come down, they likely as not will be replaced. they get pruned every other year to stumps and that's a hell of a lot of pruning.
their original job was to shade the horses and buggies sedately rolling around in the blazing sun.