vera lynn

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

vera lynn

Post by pilvikki »

talk about a blast from the past, there's a special on her on bbc atm. she's a 100 years old! :eek: :eek: and bright as a button (what kind of daft saying is that anyway? unless it's brass, of course. polished)

when she went to burma to entertain the the troops, she picked it because nobody else had gone. then she went right up to the front line, because she figured those guys needed the most encouragement.

a very cool lady!
yogi

Re: vera lynn

Post by yogi »

Now here is somebody who is actually older than I am and I don't recall much about her. It amazes me that she is still among the living. I'm impressed.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

you must remember her songs though, yes? white cliffs of dover, until we meet again, etc?
yogi

Post by yogi »

I do have a memory stored about the "White Cliffs of Dover." But, it wasn't until today that I heard "Until We Meet Again" for what I think is the first time. WWII was pretty much settled and done with by the time I was old enough to know what music is.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i think that having lived with a vet and his wife, aka in-laws, who both got their fill of the war, it rather rubbed off. she lived in london and when evacuated, went and collected the kids and went right back. he was mostly in france and none too pleased about it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Being the age I am, I really don't relate much to WWII. The Korean War and Viet Nam were more in my era.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i thinks it's more a cultural thing, as vietnam was protest songs and korea.... korea?
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know how North Korea and South Korea became independent countries but they started to duke it out around 1950. Apparently we Americans were involved and the war ended in 1953. I don't know why the sentiment over Korea wasn't as large as it was during WWII. It probably was a cultural thing wherein us Western folks didn't identify with the Asian culture where a war was being fought. It was quite a different story than WWII. Viet Nam only produced protest songs from them draft dodging hippies that didn't agree with what was going on in southeast Asia. Arlo Guthrie sang about much different things than Vera Lynn. That sentiment was quite the opposite of how many Americans felt during WWII. In all those cases I think the music represented the mood of the people.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i meant to say, "to me". my life was quite seriously affected by the WWII and residues thereof. the others i only heard about from tv and radio.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I am very grateful that 'the war' never reached the shores of this country. I'm not confident we will be so lucky going forward. In fact there are two wars going on at the moment, a culture war and a cyber war. Either or both may lead to something never experienced on American soil.
Last edited by yogi on 02 Jan 2018, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

yes, it's getting pretty serious! :worry: