Asked Google

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Asked Google

Post by yogi »

So, what were people asking Google this year (2017)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... I4LHl4yFuo
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Asked Google

Post by Kellemora »

I've got a busload of questions I've asked on all the search engines and none of them have come up with an answer.

One simple example: On an exercise bike with magnetic tension, should the magnets be released between sessions. (Like turn the setting back to 0 or 1 after each usage).

About the only thing I learned is there are two types of magnetic tension. One uses permanent magnets, and the other uses electromagnets. Both work like an electric brake.
From examining mine, it more or less resembles a lawn mower flywheel that can create a spark. These pulses are what tell your console readout the speed, distance, time, etc.

The way I see it, setting the tension back to 0 or 1, the lowest setting, will wear out the cable to the movable magnet bracket faster. By the same token, leaving the magnets set to your desired tension may magnetize the flywheel or weaken the magnets.
However, I've owned magnets for years that I kept the steel bar across them to hold them at neutral. They never lost power.
So, rather than turning the tension back to 0 or 1, I just leave it set where I'm using it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I just watched that video again and did not see any reference to your question about magnetic tension on bicycles. It can only be assumed that it was not a popular topic of inquiry (on Google) during the past year. I would recommend the obvious, which is to contact the manufacturer for their recommendation.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I did, on their board, and those who responded said it didn't matter, because the batteries only run the display and computer.
One snide response was, what part of permanent magnets did I not understand?

On some models, if the batteries get low, the magnetic tension gets weaker. I assume brands with electro-magnets.

I guess I'm one of those people who come up with questions no one else ever thought of to ask, hi hi...