Sitting A Lot Will Kill You

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Sitting A Lot Will Kill You

Post by yogi »

Studies show that premature death is prominent among people who sit a lot. It also makes you fat. This could be problem for many of us, but the cure is fairly simple: move around. Fidgeting is one thing you can do to overcome the ill effects of too much sitting. A good rule of thumb is to sit for no longer than 20 minutes at a time. Then do some movement. A short walk would be perfect, but just standing is ok too. The best solution is at least 60 minutes of vigorous exercise each day, but apparently the other methods work too.

http://www.lifehack.org/646489/the-simp ... u-sit-less
pilvikki

Re: Sitting A Lot Will Kill You

Post by pilvikki »

yeah, IF i could walk for an hour a day, i'd LOVE it. but nope, 5 mins is pushing my luck now. the doc wrote a referral to physio... the guy turned out to be utterly incompetent and my exercises seriously damaged my back. so, try a better one to undo his damage.

fidget? oh, i'm good at that, but it probably won't save my life.

and then there was a suggestion to get on their email list to become a better communicator, yet they first sentence of the article reads:
The average American office worker now spends 10 hours per day sat in a chair.
:facepalm:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I worked as an electronics technician and in computer desktop support but still sat at the desk 85% of the day. I'm guessing that's how I developed deep vein thrombosis. Apparently you don't have to walk an hour a day, but it would be perfect if you could. Just fidgeting regularly will keep the fat level down.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ugh, not in my case... also, none of the fat is sitting on my butt, which might have lent some shape to me, but in the worst possible spot, in the middle. :rolleyes:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm at my desk from around 8:30 am until around 10 pm or a little later.
I do break for lunch and dinner. And take a short walk about once every two hours.
3 days a week, I take a 2 hour break to do a little over an hour of cardiac rehab exercises.
But put on weight? I've never had that problem. The doc keeps telling me to eat more now that I'm exercising.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i did a 5 min walk from the post office and it just about killed me.... 5 ridiculous mins on level ground... :worry:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Have you tried a skate board ?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

yogi

Post by yogi »

OK, bad idea. Never mind.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I always figured I got enough exercise being pall bearer for my friends that did...
Now I'm forced into it, if'n I want to stay alive much longer.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

one of things i remember from my grandfather's funeral was hearing "he sure weighed a lot for such a short guy..."