Card Tricks

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Card Tricks

Post by yogi »

Amazing things can be done with a deck of cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 7kG641iA_g
pilvikki

Re: Card Tricks

Post by pilvikki »

those don't look like your average walmart cards. in fact.... think they could be somewhat magnetized?

the best card tricks i ever saw, and was taught a couple of (since forgotten, of course) were by this neighbour kid. "wow! where did you learn all these cool tricks?" "wow. where do you think...? jail...! duh."

oh...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I guess you have a lot of time to acquire new talents when you are behind bars for a few years.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Had to laugh, the guy couldn't tell a $200 dollar deck of cards from a $2 deck, until he could compare them side by side.

As a former magician, I can tell you an audience will not stand for non-standard decks for trick use.
They automatically declare the decks rigged, shaved, or modified in some way.

I didn't do many card tricks, but when I did, especially on private engagements, I had the client supply the decks of cards.
This way they knew I did not tamper with them.
Although, that being said, I did have some modified decks of cards for specific tricks, and would swap decks, secretly of course, hi hi... Normally I did not use modified decks of cards.

I can't say the same about all the coins I used in my tricks. I don't think a single one was legit.
Well, except for the ones I passed around to be examined first, hi hi...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:lol: :lol:

i made the mistake of reading up on all these various tricks - and it was like someone told me santa's not real; ruined the whole thing.

:bleh:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Almost all of the tricks I did, used common everyday items, many of which were provided by the client on request.
That doesn't mean there was not some set-up involved before the other guests arrived for the show.
Most of the hand tricks I did required many hours of practice. Which I think goes without saying!
Stage tricks are a whole different story, everything is gimmicked in one way or another, but that doesn't mean it defies science or physics. I never used electronically manipulated devices, I don't consider that fair.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

where did you get the idea of taking that up?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The first time, I was just in the right place at the right time, and started by filling in for an assistant, as an assistant.
I was taught several stage type tricks during my stint, but only did a few shows of that type on my own, with his equipment.
I hated to travel and live out of a suitcase in a motel for weeks on end. So after I did a show in Chicago, I said no more, I'm over it, hi hi...

The second time was just to while away the time while hospital sitting. I would practice something simple, like rolling a coin between my fingers, or playing with a deck of cards between games of solitaire.
Besides waiting in the patients room, I also spent a lot of time in the public waiting room. Did a few things for kids, and one thing led to another.
I never really planned on doing it as a job, but was invited to do a couple of small get-togethers and it sorta took off for a short time.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, you really are an entertainer! :cool: :cool:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Always have been in one way or another Pil...

Doesn't mean I was ever really good at though, hi hi...

I think it stems from being raised among oldsters, who's only form of entertainment in 1920's to 1950's was big band type music.
My grandfather had two orchestras, three of my uncles owned bands and/or orchestras. My dad had a big band for a long time before I was born, so music was embedded in our family.

From around 1906 to the mid 1970's we held an annual city wide picnic which often went to the wee hours of the morning, with dance bands taking turns.
Dad started me young too. I played the saxophone in 4th and 5th grade. My next school did not have music. In high school I played Trumpet, and other three valve instruments.
After I got married I played the organ. This is how I ended up playing dance music at a small nightclub.
I wouldn't say I was excellent, but good enough to win in my class at three music festivals.
Which is how and when I was asked to play the Calliope on the Admiral.
Not the dream job it sounds like, which is why not too many took the job.

In the early '80's is when I went to a lot of parties, sometimes to play music, sometimes to do a little comedy (never was good at that), but combine music and comedy and I did OK. Then the private party invites as a magician kept me busy.
I also loved to fly kites and blow monster bubbles, so this too brought me a few places to put on a show of sorts, usually a side-show activity.

Although I was more than a little rusty, after I met my current wife and moved south, I had to entertain several of her relatives a few times. Thankfully the invites ran their course. Even so, one of my old comedy skits still get requested, usually by a specific part of the skit.
Trouble is, with my arthritis, Emphysema, and COPD, it is very hard for me to make it through a song type comedy skit anymore. Plus, I'm beginning to forget the words, hi hi...
One skit I do for kids, the words are rattled off so fast you almost can't tell what I'm saying unless you listen close.
The kids all love it though! Even if I do have to stop to catch my breath for a bit before continuing.

Now I just hide in my garage office all day and be like a wall flower, hi hi...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i tried a couple of different things, like handwriting analysis at small parties, but never caught on to do it party style, but tried to do it properly, which took way too long and killed the whole thing. lol!

really not very good with strangers or small talk, joking around etc. :rolleyes:
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are pretty good here
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

weeell, you might be strange, but no strangers! :razz:
yogi

Post by yogi »

When I was a practicing astrologer I became a teacher of the art when individual consultations got to be boring. The really successful practitioners were authors and lecturers. At one point I considered quitting my day job and putting my all into promoting astrology. I changed my mind after the first lecture I gave. The people were bored with my technical explanations and wanted some good old fashioned entertainment. Long story short is that I could not get down to that level and continued on as a private tutor.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Entertaining gets old real quick, because the routines get stale almost overnight.
About the time I perfect a skit to the point it ran smoothly, my data was out of date, and I had to modernize, hi hi...
When a younger crowd was at the nightclub, most of my musical comedy went right over their heads, but at least the oldsters all got a laugh out of them, and that is who I geared most of my work for.
Although I did pick up a few lines by reading the newspaper headlines each morning, and thinking about what I could say that evening, I honestly was lousy at this part of my routine. Always had a few ask, "What did you mean by that?" It's not funny if you have to explain what your comments were about.
I had this one old fellow who was a regular at the club. He was sharp as a tack, and always had some type of comeback which brought the audience to a roar, when they got it that is.
I knew it was time to quit when the crowd no longer got a simple comment, like "She wouldn't for a Russian, but she would for a Fin." Or, "I'm as lonesome as a gentile in Miami." Yeah, I know, really olde and super stale, but it wasn't 35 years ago, hi hi...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I got both of those, but I'm not sure if I'd pay to see you deliver those lines. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You'll be glad to know there was no Cover Charge, and most of what I played was dance music.
FWIW: Those lines were only in one of my first musical comedy scripts, and some of the first lines I dropped.
They dated all the way back to the late '60s, early '70s, and only used when the crowd was all oldsters.
It was one of the few side-jobs I did that paid more than I earned all week at my regular job, mostly from tips.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ok, i thought they were funny, but then again, things are funny to me just because i got it. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

And thanks for these memories, the night that I got home, and you were not alone, you said he was a nudist who came in to use the phone.

Ahh, it's Christmas... Reminds me of my poor old uncle Harold. He claims Santa is running three decades behind on filling his wish list.
You know it's bad Sam, Now I have to find a way to get rid of what he left me under the tree this year, and before my wife gets home.
Why's that Harold?
I can't have three Ho's around here, besides, at my age, I couldn't handle them anymore.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:lol: :lol: