Sliced Bacon

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Sliced Bacon

Post by yogi »

Did you ever wonder how they slice and neatly arrange the bacon in those neat little packages you see in the grocery? I have. And now I know ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... fmdv68nOck
pilvikki

Re: Sliced Bacon

Post by pilvikki »

well, my tiny mind does not grasp the speed and i actually still don't know since i could only see a blur. made me think of anyone with a seizure disorder possibly having a problem with the flashing reflections? :think:

now i'm wondering how long this would take with a knife. and why does not havarti get stuck to the blade?
yogi

Post by yogi »

It looks like the belt is moving about 2 ft/sec which would translate to about 3 packages every second. The cutter is something like a fan blade which makes it difficult to see each slice being cut. Cheese has to have it's own special problems, but they have some high priced engineers behind those machines to take care of them. Also, the havarti could be chilled down so that it isn't so sticky.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

semi frozen? still sticky from the fridge, but i used to cut any meat before it had fully defrosted so it wasn't so mushy to the blade.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Then too, we can't tell from the video exactly what the blades look like. They could be pencil thin and razor sharp. The amazing part is the bacon. I never saw a 50 fool long slap so neatly squared off.