brrr...

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

brrr...

Post by pilvikki »

it's been freezing for past few days with a blizzard lasting for 2 of them. it's a bit early for this corner of the planet, so we might be getting an interesting winter.

wish the hell the basement was insulated...
yogi

Re: brrr...

Post by yogi »

When we were house hunting in Colorado, the snow state capital of America, we noted that some basements had insulation attached to the concrete walls. It had to be at least 6" thick and resembled a feather quilt or pillow. It was soft and cuddly to the touch. I've never seen inside insulation like that anywhere else, but I'm told that it works really well.

You are getting the early edge of a Polar Vortex that is building up. Some upper air pattern is stuck over Greenland and will prevent the normal east-to-west weather flow for a few weeks. We are in the mid 60's today but expect that to drop by about 20 degrees after Tuesday. The folks to the north will be much colder and snowier than usual as is the case with Europe and certain parts of Asia. The good news(?) is that the north pole will experience about 30 degrees warmer than usual air.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

oh no, that's bad. that's very bad, 30 degrees is huge in the scheme of things and the polar bears for one will not be happy...

:worry:
yogi

Post by yogi »

The last time this happened (a couple years ago) the temps at Santa's place actually got above freezing. The bears were sweating because the ice was melting. I agree that it's a very bad pattern of weather.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the bears are already in trouble, saimaa seals need more ice for their pups, penguins are loosing chicks. in greenland they are busy naming birds they've never seen before as new species head up there now for the warmer weather.

we are in deep...
yogi

Post by yogi »

The question is "can it be reversed?" I doubt we can do much to stop it but we can slow it down. Some feel we already are on the road to extinction. Hopefully I won't be around when that happens.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i feel bad for the kids, but i'm pretty sure we'll not see it...? the only advantage of being old.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I agree. It will be a lot worse before it gets better. I'm certain my great grandchildren will look back at my generation with contempt for not doing something while we had the chance.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

pretty much.

saxon (9) has a test tomorrow on various forms of energy. after a recap he said he'd be more vigilant of shutting off his lights.

great, but what about the billions wasted in big cities - for nothing. lights are on, but nobody's home.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Every little bit helps, but it's going to take some major changes in thinking to deal with our energy supply. Hopefully Saxon's generation will make that change because the generation that follows him will be in deep doo doo if they don't.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the odd part of his lesson material was having nuclear listed as clean... say what?
yogi

Post by yogi »

Think of nuclear generated electric as an alternative to coal fired power plants. It's definitely cleaner. Not to mention Right now 75% of France's electric comes from nuclear generators. Macron wants to cut that down to 50% over the next seven years.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, there's the left-overs to deal with. and, well, hate to say this, but this country is ever so lax about - everything. would the reactors be safe?
yogi

Post by yogi »

Given the track record, atomic reactors are extremely safe even when considering the two or three accidents I've heard of in my lifetime. They are about on a par with nuclear weapons, which France owns and maintains without incident. The spent fuel from reactors is indeed a potential problem. They have places to bury it safely, assuming the earth's geology doesn't change.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

...but that's not really something one can count on, is it?

they're talking about a super volcano puffing itself up in.... washington, i think it was? that would not be a good for one's health.

oh, here it is:

https://www.livescience.com/20714-yello ... ption.html

it sure'd take care of the planet over heating...
yogi

Post by yogi »

They have been burying nuclear waste ever since the first atomic bomb was detonated. The only problem I ever read about was that the containers in which the waste is buried could deteriorate and the radio active material could leak out. It's pretty certain that the rock formations will remain constant, unless ...

... any volcanic super eruption of the magnitude they are suggesting for Yellowstone would be devastating. We may not go extinct as a species, but the world will become very inhospitable for at least a decade when the ash falls out of the sky to a significant degree. The big concern not mentioned in the article is the tectonics. Any huge shift in subterranean structures, like lava, could pose a threat to the existing crust structures. Earthquakes frequently accompany volcanic eruptions, and super eruptions could be expected to generate super earthquakes. This is more of a problem than publicized due to the fact that a lot of that buried atomic waste isn't all that far from Yellowstone. If the volcanic ash don't get you, the radiation will.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ooh, ain't that a rosy concept! and why on earth.... oh n/m...

i looked up another website that was all fire and brimstone, pardon the bad pun. one thing it said was that if you lived within 600 m from the park, you needed to prepare. THEN it said that within 600 miles you'd be dead from the ash. unless you were underground. so, start digging. and then.... you'd be staying under there, or...?

rrright. what? looove these "scientific" pages. :facepalm:
yogi

Post by yogi »

They claim the super eruption is overdue. Then again, I figure the tolerance is +/- 100,000 years or so. All the articles say is that it CAN happen. I don't think any of them know exactly when.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, some geological society won't meet in vancouver any more, because it was supposed to drop into the ocean yesterday.

but there it sits.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I wonder if that's related to the rumor that California is doomed to sink into the ocean