newfie baking

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

newfie baking

Post by pilvikki »

yogi

Re: newfie baking

Post by yogi »

I know Newfies are close to your heart, which explains why you like the story. :mrgreen:

My mom cooked the same way as the mom that article. She did it like HER mom did it. :rolleyes:

One of my mom's hallmark dishes is stuffing for Thanksgiving, which never saw the inside of a bird by the way. She had no recipe and just knew now to do it. When my oldest daughter's tastebuds matured properly, mom would always ask her to sample the finished product to be sure it was done right. #1 daughter watched mom do it dozens of times but never wrote down what she saw. So, when mom passed away, #1 sibling unit wrote down a list of ingredients for me to use - or she put down all that she could remember. I've tried to duplicate the stuffing several times, but it never even came close to mom's.

I now use that list of ingredients as a guideline and not as exact instructions. I ad lib this and ad hoc that, and can make something decent. Usually. While a recipe would be helpful, I enjoy being creative and having the liberty to put my own judgment into the finished product. I think mom did the same thing. No two stuffing dishes were the same. That was part of the charm.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

my first m-i-l was the same, just tossed stuff in and it worked, most of the time. my mother, on the other hand, did everything according to recipes and they always turned out perfect.

hm... i almost feel like baking something... :think:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Pastry needs a recipe. There is a lot of chemistry behind that type of cooking and I'm not good enough to ad lib when I bake. I also need a recipe to make something the first time. It more or less tells me what the dish was intended to be like. Variations can be applied after that initial success. But even then, some relative judgement is required, like exactly what does sauteing a sauce look like? :mrgreen:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

since the french ingredients are different from what i'm used to, it can get interesting...

meanwhile, punkin found a new recipe for chocolate cake and it's now our favourite. it takes a cup of hot water and when she read that out, we're both like "say whaaat?"
yogi

Post by yogi »

Just the other day I was cooking something that required 2 cups of hot water. I've not seen that requirement in pastry recipes, but I can imagine there is a purpose for it, such as to help melt the chocolate evenly.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

whatever the logic, it is truly the best and moistest cake we've seen. and we've seen lots, lol!