need a skeleton?

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

need a skeleton?

Post by pilvikki »

Halloween's coming up:

how many would you like?
yogi

Re: need a skeleton?

Post by yogi »

Looks like a good DIY project for a prospective medical student. I don't know where one would find a capacious cauldron or quicklime. Perhaps on E-Bay?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

salem for cauldron and the lime you can build yourself, lol!

harder to find bodies, methinx...

:think:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My late wife had a REAL human skeleton, intact, not just the unassembled bones.
We kept it covered with a light blue sheet and a black plastic cover over that, because they are heck to keep the dust off.
She paid something like 8 to 9 hundred bucks for it when she was nurse.
They are now worth about 5 thousand bucks each.

I would still have it except Tennessee has a law about owning a human skeleton, so I couldn't bring it here when I moved.
No biggie, I had no use for it anyhow. I did sell it for 2000 bucks to a teacher at Washington Univ.
I spent almost a week after work everyday looking for the papers for it, and I didn't find them until the teacher came to look at it and I removed the two coverings. They were in a folder inside a vinyl pouch and taped to the T at the top of the stand. I thought this odd because I never saw them there while it was uncovered for a couple of years. Our step-son was terrified of it, hi hi...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, that's an interesting investment! :lol: :lol:

did it have the ligaments as well, or was it wired together?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hard to say Pil. It did have some wires that were visible, like between the ribs, and at the wrists.
It wasn't rigid, you could move the arms and legs, although we never actually played with it.
Marvin spent his days covered up in the corner of the frau's office, except around Halloween when he was placed by a sidelight in our foyer with a light shining down on him.
That was the late frau's biggest item. She had a lot of other things, mostly plastic, used for teaching purposes, and she also had a plastic skeleton which she never took out of it's storage box in all the years we were married. She sold most of the training stuff about ten years after we were married, but it didn't fetch much. I think around four hundred bucks for everything other than Marvin, which she wouldn't sell.
You wouldn't believe the amount of paperwork that had to remain with the skeleton. Sorta wish I would have copied all of it and kept that stack for later reference. But honestly, I was glad to be able to sell it rather than donate it to someplace.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

so what kind of papers did you need to have, apart from, i suppose a doctor's note?

reminds me of a story i read as a kid about a chemistry teacher whose horribly vile wife disappeared. he said she'd left him and moved north to live her sister. some of the students were suspicious though and when they saw he'd thrown out a hat box with a new hat, they went and confronted him.

well, he talked his way out of it, his main argument being how would he ever be able to dispose of the body in his tiny flat? the kids soon felt silly and left.

after which the professor flung the hat onto the head of the skeleton standing in the living room corner and said "good night, margaret!"

:lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Pil

If I recall correctly, there were three or four point of origin documents, several bill of sale documents including the bill of sale document showing my late wife as the buyer and who sold it to her.
Part of the point of origin documents were necessary to prove it was not of American Indian origin.
One of the key documents stated it was not of current human remains.
Based on the point of origin documents I read many years ago, it appeared to me the skeleton was made up from three or four sources of bones. The skull and bulk of the body was one document. I think two bones on one leg were of another origin, and one of the hands was yet another origin. But it was so long ago when I looked at them, I really don't remember what all was there, or what they all said.

She had it at least ten years before we met. So for our time together, it was just that thing in the corner of her office she called Marvin. The documents claim the bones are of European origin, but it was sold as an Israeli skeleton, which I thought was part of Asia. You could tell it was not Asian bones though, too large. The earliest date on one of the point of origin papers was 1919, then it skipped to 1939 for the next one, and I think 1942 for the next one. However, the first bill of sale document was dated 1956, and her bill of sale document was around 1972 I think.
There were several other papers in the folders which I don't remember much about, and a few were not in English.
Seem like she got it from a retiring doctor at Malinkrodt Institute of Radiology, she talked about that place a lot, so I could be wrong.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Halloween just passes me by these days now that the children adults... :nana: :cool:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We only get about four to eight kids now that the neighborhood kids have all grown up.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Peace at last...
yogi

Post by yogi »

Last year was our first year in this new house. About 50 ghosts and goblins showed up. Up north it was at least four times that most years.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Wow, that's a lot Yogi...
When I was a kid, we spent time plotting out maps to hit the most houses as fast as possible, and with the least amount of walking or bike riding. Seems like we always hit between 150 and 200 houses, and marked off those who were not home to adjust our schedule for the following year.

By the time my kids were old enough to go out for goodies, most of the houses around us did not celebrate Halloween. Plus there were the scares about glass, razor blades, needles, and drugs in the goodies. So we always took their sacks up to the hospital for the free X-Ray they provided, then to the Police Station for their Dogs to sniff the bags. They never found anything in our stuff, but they did in kids bags from further north of us.

I remember a couple of years, when our kids got home, some of their treats were in zip lock bags with the address of the home they received them from. I thought this was a wonderful gesture and I brought it up for discussion at our next subdivision meeting.
Don't know if it did any good or not, because my kids learned to hit the commercial stores in the strip malls for their goodies, instead of going house to house. Don't see much of that anymore though.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I can't say we lived in a high density population area up north because a few of us had lots of land around one acre in size. To the east of us, however, was a huge subdivision that had in excess of 350 homes. To our west was about half that within walking distance. They all did not have children, of course, but that's a lot of possibilities. There was some organization to it as well. Most of the beggars came in bunches that were well supervised by adults. I also think many of those kids would have avoided us if it were not for our neighbors who decorated their front yards with lights, sounds, and faux graves. They stopped by us in transit to the real show. :grin:

I now live on the edge of a subdivision where around two hundred homes are built. There are some row houses but all the folks on my street have 1/4th acre lots so that they're well spaced out. Behind the people to our north is farmland. I will say that there are more kids per household here than up north, but a lot of the families are conservative Christians who want little to do with Halloween. It's a shame because most of the kids are too young to understand the reasoning and are missing out on a lot of fun and free goodies.

I'm pretty sure the hospitals and police offered the services you mentioned up north, but I never heard of problems in our area. Any goodies that were not in their original factory packaging usually got dumped.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I live in an area that has gone downhill over the years, partly due to age, and partly because of the projects they built a few blocks away.

On odd thing happened when our grid style subdivision was built. The first subdivision to the north of us all had 1/4 acre lots. The subdivision I'm in all had 1/2 acre lots. However, everyone who bought on the south side of my street, also bought the 1/2 acre lots our back yard abutted against. This is how we ended up with 1 acre lots, and the street that was supposed to feed those back lots was never built, but the easement is still there on the official plat maps. To the south of the road that was never built were large farms, so were not a part of our subdivision at all.
It worked out great for the developer to sell those top of the hill 1/2 acre lots to those of us on our street. It also gave us more land to use, even though we didn't own it. But, everybody kept those back 1/2 acre lots as woods, which was great.

Our house is the only one left on our street where the deed was not combined from two 1/2 acre lots to a 1 acre lot. This kept our taxes down a bit, because the back lot is unimproved ground. The way we went about buying this house meant there was never a sale, just a slow process of transfer of ownership by adding names to the deed, and then removing names from the deed. There is a wait period for each change, plus a five year period where it could have all gone up in smoke, hi hi... But we crossed that point about eight years ago now. So everything is as it should be. The original deed has some wording on it that would be totally illegal today. Like the property cannot be sold to a certain race, etc. which is no longer enforceable.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, this being ever so catholic a country - on paper anyway - that the halloween thing is not as much in evidence. not to mention living in a village with some 200+ peoples, most of them way past best before date. (myself included) so we maybe had 5-6 kids.

now that we've moved to the BIG village as the doc pointed out laughing, we might get a few more, even though we are away to side.

and i swear they're handing out last years' stuff over again, lol!