what did i miss?

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

what did i miss?

Post by pilvikki »

watched gravity last night. it was on BBC, so loaded with commercials and grandkids chatting in between, but even making those allowances, i thought it was the most boring movie i'd seen in years. and seriously stretching the credibility!

anyone else see it?
yogi

Re: what did i miss?

Post by yogi »

F = Gm1m2/r2, where F is the force due to gravity, between two masses (m1 and m2), which are a distance r apart; G is the gravitational constant. https://www.universetoday.com/56157/gravity-equation/
That's what I know about gravity. :grin:

Many years ago, decades actually, I became disenchanted with commercial television. Movies were so lame back then that I only watched them to put me to sleep. Television exists because of the income from commercial sponsors. Not only that, but the content, that which is even attempted to be broadcast, is vetted by the people paying the bills. In other words, I only get to see what somebody else wants me to see. Once I figured that out I gravitated away from the boob tube. When PC's became popular it was my choice to read and view whatever I wanted to see as opposed to whatever some billionaire selling cookie cutters wanted me to see.

So, there you have it. My opinion. By the way, no, I've not seen the movie. What's it about?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, it's real simple: sandy bullock, george cloonie and other scientists are up there doing something when some rubbish hits their station.

everybody croaks, but sandy and george, who are now dangling by some cables outside. but... the cable, leash, whatever is not sturdy enough to hold them both so george disconnects himself and drifts off. bye-bye.

this leaves sandra, a doctor, having to figure out how to get back to earth all by herself and without any radio contact. at one point she's reading operating manuals. anyway, she's got to extract a pod from the burning station, jump to a russian station, also damaged, and do the pod thing to a chinese station in rough shape as well.

all, while bits and pieces of various piles of space junk is raining upon her.

totally plausible. yep.

so, that was my first and last try of watching tv on my own. i will sit down and watch some commercial-free show on folk buying expensive houses in gorgeous landscapes, but only if it's on while i'm drifting by. i was curious about a couple of game shows, but ye gods! HOW can they actually watch that? the endless repetition of the same phrases is enough to drive me mad and the hosts must be robots.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The phrase that comes to mind when I think of putting a lot of time into watching television is, "mind numbing." It's not all that way, but the vast majority of it is. I'm still not sure how gravity fits into the movie by the same name, but the idea sounds interesting. Portraying the idea is something else. Thus I think television CAN be entertaining and educational, but guess what. The people glued to their televisions already have progressed beyond the numbing of their minds. They are being manipulated by the sponsors, which one might expect, but there is no will to go beyond what they are being fed.

Kudos to you for at least recognizing what is going on. Perhaps I'm glued to my computer, but at least I have a choice of what adhesive I am stuck on. That all could change once the government figures out a way to control the Internet, but for now we still have some freedom of choice.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

after listening to the roar of the damned tv for a couple of months, we'll get irene a hearing aid. after what...? 2 month i finally came across an interesting show: dude doing russia. quite interesting!
yogi

Post by yogi »

"dude doing russia" ... is that like Debbie does Dallas?
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I saw Gravity when it first came out at the cinema in 3d and was mightily impressed,
Brilliantly filmed, imaginative ,scary, well acted, and original.......so there Vikki!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i may have had opinions skewed by the interruptions...and nothing wrong with the acting!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ah, that reminds me, i need to fix the handle to the hand saw....

thanks! :mrgreen:
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

be careful dear friend!
yogi

Post by yogi »

A slapstick symphony. What an interesting concept. :rolleyes:
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

:mrgreen: :lol:
I love them boys.. :clap:
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Down here "Gravity" movie was a real event... Because it is a Hollywood film directed by Alfonso Cuarón and photographed by "El Chivo" Emmanuel Lubezky, both Mexican born... There were endless "backstage" shows about it, about the Aningaaq scene, about the way "El Chivo" designed the display box to get the lightning right under budget, about the preparation of both Sandy and Cloonie and several other stuff... I liked the movie, also seen it in 3D at a nearby movieplex and liked it a lot. Lately I try to avoid seeing movies on open TV due to the interruptions and the cuts that stations do.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Top man! you have impeccable taste...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i know what you mean about destroying the flow and and the mood of a film.