that's pretty old

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

that's pretty old

Post by pilvikki »

http://positivemed.com/health-wellness/jeanne-calment/

the oldest recorded person who lived to 122.

bloody hell, that's a while.... :eek: :eek: :eek:
yogi

Re: that's pretty old

Post by yogi »

There is a lot of truth to longevity being enhanced by keeping down the stress levels.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

which makes a bit nervous... :eek:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I hear they are working on a cure for old age. Even so there seems to be a limit. I believe it's around 150 or so.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

150?

:yikes:

not sure i'd want to get that far - thinking it'll be a bumpy ride....
yogi

Post by yogi »

150 seems the most agreed upon number, but some folks are thinking 300-400 years is doable. I suppose if they find a way to replace human organs painlessly the process can go on indefinitely. Being old as dirt as I am and reviewing all the things I did not do yet, I can see keeping myself busy a couple hundred years.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I could probably master the guitar in 330 years
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

tom, i'm sure you'd only need a 100... :mrgreen:

i suppose i'd be thinking of new projects if i were thinking i'd be around a couple more 100s. learning to paint for one. ceilings, not so much....
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

At the rate the price of things goes up each year, including our taxes, I don't think I could afford to live beyond 100 if I could make it that far in the first place.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is much talk about robots and AI taking over at least 30% of the jobs in the next ten years. That will put a lot of people out of work and in need of some kind of guaranteed income. They are seriously talking about making the bots pay taxes to support us humans who have been displaced from the workforce. So ... the answer seems to be to get yourself a robot to pay you a wage. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The only solution poly-TICK-ians know is to keep increasing taxes, so they can pocket half or more for themselves.

They said the same thing about computers Yogi, that computers would wipe out 30% of the jobs in ten years.

But you have to look at REALITY!

Jobs in the computer industry rose from 5,000 in 1970, to 50,000 in 1980, and was up to 1.2 million new jobs created by 2,000.
It tapered off for awhile and only rose to 1.5 million in 2013, and then skyrocketed to 6.7 million computer related industry jobs in 2016 and still growing.

Entry level jobs such as Typists simply moved up to Keypunch, and then moved up again to Data Entry.

You're missing the big picture if you don't see the great value in technological advancements.
No longer do you load up a buckboard and haul it to your local Mercantile Store.
You advanced to tractors and trucks, increased production, reduced loss and costs, and delivered to further distances.

Some old technology businesses will always fall by the wayside. Kerosene lamps gave way to the electric light bulb. Wooden type gave way to foundry type, and manual presses and typesetting gave way to Linotype and automated presses.
Typewriter stores and repair shops have disappeared also, but computer stores took their place.

As far as robots go. In most cases, robots have replaced those jobs employee's didn't want to do, or were overly dangerous, and are now being used to keep costs down in order to keep prices down, in most cases. There are exceptions, such as the automotive industry who has increased prices way ahead of inflation, but this has mostly to do with greed and government controls.

Ditch diggers have gone from being the lowest paid workers to some of the highest paid workers, and all they do now is move a few little levers and let the machine do all the work for them. The job surely does not warrant the excessive pay they now receive.

I wonder if anyone is tracking how many new jobs are created solely in the industry of robotics?
yogi

Post by yogi »

In the case of computer technology thousands of new and non-existing jobs were created to replace the millions lost. There will be a new need for people to maintain and program the bots too, at least until their artificial intelligence exceeds our own. But, consider something easy for you to imagine. With the advent of self-driving cars a lot of service vehicles such as taxis and delivery trucks will no longer need human drivers. The number of drivers without a job will not be trivial. Do you really think they can be retrained to service the bots that replaced them? Just take a look at Detroit to see what happens when people are replaced by machines.

Aside from the salary we pay them, politicians really don't get much of your tax dollars. They don't need it because they have other sources far more lucrative than the schleps that pay taxes. If there are any specific culprits driving the cost of manufacturing out of sight in this country it would be the unions and not the politicians. I understand perfectly why you are blaming government regulation for increased costs, but I think it was Ronald Reagan who proved that Voodoo (Trickle Down) Economics is an epic fail. The extra profits going to corporations who do not have to comply with government regulations rarely are passed on as savings to the consumer. The greedy bastards here, once again, are not the politicians but the corporate executives whose sole purpose in life is to maximize profits for their organization.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I really don't see self-driving vehicles as taking over, especially in the delivery and trucking industry.
Perhaps when they add robots to load the truck, find the package in the truck and bring it to the person it gets delivered to and the point of delivery, but by then, almost all vehicles will be self-driving, but still manned by a bundle hopper.
I don't think it will be much different than the change from stick-shift to automatics. Still need a worker, the same worker, to do their same job, only easier on them is all.

Although the amount we pay poly-TICK-ians is high for what they do, they make millions on the side by taking bribes.
You won't believe how much of our tax dollars are stolen by the poly-TICK-ians by using clever manipulative tactics to shuffle it around from place to place that still eventually ends up in their pockets.
Our own Mayor Haslam was a good example of that. And for stealing all that money, they made him our Governor where he could steal more. What did he do with ten million dollars? He claims he used it to help the homeless. In fact, that was the name of his game, "The Mayors Plan to End Homelessness" or something like that. How many homeless people did he help? 48! And they live in near project like apartments. What did the mayor say it cost to do that? He used up all ten million bucks. Do the math. That 18,000 dollars per month per each homeless person helped. Yet they only saw about 300 bucks a month of that, and lived in a 350 buck a month apartment. Where did all the rest of the money go? The mayors family and friends all got HUGE checks each month from the pot for the homeless. And that money came from our taxes!

On a different note, but still having to do with taxes. Corporate Taxes are a joke and only hurt US, John Doe Consumer!
Corporation do not now and have never paid taxes! What they do do is handle collected tax money and pass a little on to the government, while making a profit on the tax money they collect from us to pass on as their own tax payments.
For every dollar the lowest corporation on the chain of manufacturing and distribution pays. WE John Doe Consumer, at the retail end, pays four dollars in tax, plus in many states, sales tax on that four dollars of hidden tax.
Each corporation in the chain adds their tax burden, marks up the previous tax they paid to the corporation chain before them, so by the time the chain ends at the retail level, there is a LOT of hidden taxes we are footing the bill for.
Taxing a corporation is like taxing yourself four times more than the government gets out of it. All the rest is profit for the corporations. And I can prove every single word of what I said above too!

In a nutshell, if you understand business, you take your cost of goods sold, add to it your overhead expenses, which includes the taxes you pay, add a standard markup, and sell to the next person in the chain. The next person in the chain who buys your product for either further refinement or resale, just paid your company the hidden tax, plus markup, profit on that tax, as his cost of goods sold, to which he adds his overhead expenses, which again includes the taxes he pays, adds his markup and sends the goods onto the next person in the chain. Corporate taxes are basically a cash cow for corporations, they profit from collecting the taxes for the government. And poor John Doe at the end of the chain foots the entire tax bill for the entire chain of corporations involved in the mining, manufacturing, remanufacturing or assembly, and the chain of distribution. And then to add insult to injury, they must also pay sales tax on all those hidden taxes included in the price of the product.
In some industries, I have seen the taxes compounded more than sevenfold, which increased the cost of the product you buy considerably.

Imagine if you will, standing in line at the checkout counter with a 500 dollar TV, and the cashier leans over and says, we can take 20 dollars off the price if you pay 5 dollars to government. Who wouldn't jump at that chance? And what if it applied to everything you purchased? Or the same scenario, we can take 5 dollars off if you pay 1 dollar to the government.
This is the difference between how much the government gets from corporate taxes, and how much you pay. For every dollar, you pay four or more dollars in hidden taxes, which other than the dollar, is pure profit for the corporations.
OK, off my soapbox on that topic. Other than to say, we are being BURNED BAD by government taxing corporations!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Some of the ideas you express about corporate taxes are notably Libertarian. It's an interesting way to look at the economy and has some resemblance to the Value Added Taxation (VAX) methods common in Europe. The hidden taxes passed on to the end consumer are part and parcel of the costs involved in running a business. The manufacturer or service provider must pay taxes on the profits or gains realized by the organization. A couple dozen years ago the structure of corporations was modified from strictly being type C to include type S. In the former the incorporated legal entity, the company, paid the tax. Today most companies are type S where the profits are redirected to individuals who in turn pay the tax. This is commonly known as "flow through" and the exact point of contention assessed against our current president who disengaged from direct control of his business operations but still retains his position as taxpayer. Regardless, both types of businesses must pay taxes, which are considered liabilities on the balance sheet.

The price consumers pay for a product or service is what the market will bear. That market price varies depending upon the standard of living within a given economy. An automobile, for example, in America has a much higher market value than the same vehicle in a less developed country. Many factors go into determining the market price, but the cost of labor is invariably the largest component. All the taxes paid throughout the supply chain are not cumulative, as would be the VAX tax. Each link in the chain pays tax on their profit not on the value added to the base product. It is indeed the consumer who is paying the total cost of a given product or service, but so called hidden taxes are no more unfair than an inflated labor contract negotiated by a union. Nothing is free in this world. If you want the higher standard of living, it will cost you extra.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

But Yogi, the taxes are cumulative, but not to the benefit of the government, only to profit the corporations.
Company A, year one, pays numerous different taxes, all of which become an expense against the profits they earn that year.
It is on these profits that income tax is calculated and become another expense in the their ledger books.
Nevertheless, Company A, year two, now has an expense basis from which they can determine the true cost of goods sold.
The cost of goods sold includes all expenses the company incurs to make those goods.
Cost of goods sold is marked up in order for the company to make their desired profit.

Company B purchases the output of Company A to use in their manufacturing processes.
The price Company B pays for the product INCLUDES the taxes paid by Company A.
Company B in turn add their overhead, which includes their taxes to determine the cost of goods sold, and mark this up to earn their desired profit.

Company C purchases the output of Company B to use in their manufacturing processes.
The price Company C pays for the product INCLUDES the taxes paid by Company B plus their markup, which includes the taxes paid by Company A plus their markup.
Company C adds their overhead, which includes their taxes, to obtain their cost of goods sold, and they markup to earn a profit.

Company A could be the mining company. Company B the smelting plant. Company C rolls ingots into sheets. Company D forms the sheets into body components. Company E warehouses the body components and distributes to the various auto makers, they also distribute to auto repair suppliers. Company F supplies the auto parts wholesalers, and Company G is who sells those parts to the auto body repair shops, who in turn sell to John Doe consumer.

It doesn't matter if the end product is car parts, or chocolate candy. There is a line of manufacturing to get from raw materials to the final product, and a line of distribution to get the final product from the manufacturer to the distributors, to the wholesalers, to the retailers, where the consumer may purchase said items.

For every 1 dollar in taxes paid by Company A, John Doe consumer is being charged 4 dollars, at the end of the chain.
For every 1 dollar in taxes paid by Company B, John Doe consumer is being charged 3 dollars.
For every 1 dollar paid by Company C, JD is charged 1.50.
For every 1 dollar paid by Company D. JD is charged 75 cents.
Company E, JD is charged 30 cents.
And Company F, a dime.
Then the retailer doubles his cost and that hidden 4, 3, 1.50, .30, & .10 (or 8.90) is doubled and John Doe consumer is paying $17.80 in hidden taxes within the retail purchasing price for the item.
Out of that $17.80 paid by JD consumer, only $6.00 is going to the government, $11.80 is going back to the corporations as profit on taxes.
I'm not done yet. If you have to pay Sales Tax on your purchase, like here it's 9.250%, Then on top of the $17.80 in hidden taxes, you are paying tax on this compounded tax of $1.65 in sales tax on tax.

That's an additional $19.45 you are paying for a product in taxes, where the government only benefits by $6.00...
If corporations were not taxed, and the retailer added only the $6.00 for the government. The people would not be being ripped off by our stupid tax law system. Corporations have always profited from the tax they collect for the government!

If you can show me a single company that does not include their overhead expenses in their cost of goods sold, I'll show you a company that is no longer in business. You simply cannot pay 1000 bucks for materials and overhead minus the taxes, pay 100 bucks in taxes, and sell for 1010 dollars, ignoring the tax expense. It is mathematically and financially impossible.