Greatest Show On Earth

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Greatest Show On Earth

Post by yogi »

The Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus arguably was the "Greatest Show On Earth." for many generations. They are calling it quits after a 133 year run. Blame it on the likes of Facebook.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ringling-br ... -its-tent/
pilvikki

Re: Greatest Show On Earth

Post by pilvikki »

i'm pretty sure it was the animals that began and ended that show.

last time i went to the circus and saw the elephants, they looked bedraggled and sad. so i said right there that that was the end of my going to the circus. then i read about all the abuse they took, so i started spreading the word as well.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Plus there was not PETA so many years ago.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

true enough.

when i was younger (like a couple of decades ago), i automatically assumed everyone was kind to animals AND that, basically, most animals are dumb and don't mind being caged up and paraded in front of people for laughs.
:redface:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Cruelty to animals is kind of a fuzzy thing. I'd never deliberately harm most animals but I have no qualms about assassinating mice or killing spiders and snakes, for example. Things like circuses and zoos are questionable. Do animals have human type feelings and suffer from being caged and made to perform? Dunno about that.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

oooh, all you have to do is look into their eyes and you'll know! the emotions are right there for anyone to see.

now, if you take a male lion and look at it in its cage... well, it looks perfectly fine in there. but from what i gather, lions are not really that demanding as long as they get their dinners on time. wolves? when i was 16, i saw a deep rut a wolf had walked into its pen from going around and around. gorillas? you look at their faces and it makes you want to cry....
yogi

Post by yogi »

I doubt that animals have the intelligence to feel the same kind of emotions people feel. There are some primitive instincts going on, but what you see in their eyes is more what is in your own mind rather than what they think or feel.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i wholeheartedly disagree. what do you see in a snake's eyes? nothing! it's like looking at polished stones. ditto a fish - nothing happening there either. also, if you take my ex...

but i digress.

:lol:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think what is seen in animal eyes is simply a reflection of what is on the viewer's mind. It's called anthropomorphism.