british foods explained.

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

british foods explained.

Post by pilvikki »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/bri ... nbLQQr66Qx

pay attention, there'll be a quiz later.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
yogi

Re: british foods explained.

Post by yogi »

That was in fact very educational. I had no idea that you don't eat the food that is found in a pub.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, there's been a few bars in canada i didn't think it would be safe to partake in anything not diluted with alcohol.. :lol:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Crayfish are a big thing in the southern regions of the USA. They are the ugliest looking critters I can think of, but people eat them like popcorn. First question that comes to my mind is why anyone ever decided to try and eat one of those ugly things in the first place. I guess if you are drunk, anything is fair game.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

crayfish? the once looking like mini lobsters? very popular in finland where one does not see lobsters. i, however, decided to become allergic to them, so haven't had any in 6 decades.

but does anyone actually look at them? :think:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think they are mini lobsters and I think they are popular in France as well as Finland, and Louisiana.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm still trying to figure out why you fetch a torch from your boot to look under your bonnet!

Considering many of our emigrants came from England, they still chose to come up with logical names for most of what we eat here.

After moving south, I did learn they have a smaller vocabulary than us midwesterners, often using a single word to mean any of a dozen different things.
Back home we have have step-vans, vans, box vans, stake trucks, flat trucks, just plain old trucks, pick-up trucks, camper trucks, RVs, cars of all types, hand trucks, push carts, hand carts, shopping carts, baby carriages, baby strollers, baby buggy's, trams, prams and wobbly wheeled anything. Down south here, if it has wheels they only have one word Buggy, so you have no idea what they are talking about. I got hit in the leg by a Buggy could be a minor thing or a major incident, depending upon whether they meant hit by a baby buggy or Mack Truck, hi hi...
At least I learned one thing in my dozen or so years down here.
Y'all is Singular, and All Y'all's is Plural, hi hi...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I didn't realize there was a plural form for y'all. :thud:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

Y'all is Singular, and All Y'all's is Plural, hi hi...
well... what do you know... thanks! :mrgreen:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I just checked with a friend in North Carolina (a southern state, by the way) and she agrees. There is a plural for of Y'all.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Moving down south was sorta like moving to another country.
They have a whole different and greatly limited language down here.
They eat some mighty weird foods too. And what they call gravy we used as wallpaper paste.
I won't get into the Coon Fat Gravy, Pickled Pigs Feet, or Possum Innards, hi hi...
Heck, trying to find a red ripe tomato is like looking for hens teeth, they done went and cobbed them all while they were still green and fried 'em up in that Coon Fat Gravy I mentioned previously.
On the bright side though, like the old TV commercial portrayed two men sitting on a porch watching the grass grow.
They do use Master Card to help simplify their hectic lives, hi hi...
Most of those who are still farmers, know where to put oil in the tractors and trucks.
But the younger generation is still trying to figure out what goes into the hole under the cap marked 710!
They are sure it has something to do with the running of the vehicle, so they mill around the auto supplies store looking for something to put in the hole under the 710 cap!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've eaten and enjoyed pickled pig's feet. Seems that it's an old Polish/European food stuff. The strictly southern cuisine is pretty much foreign food to me. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is hominy and why it is gritty. Then there is the absence of things like lamb and veal. One up scale store down here has it, on certain days of the month. Rye bread is mostly made from plumbers' putty down here. Anything substantial using the whole grain kernel is illegal in this state. Pizza ... coming from the pizza capital of the world, Chicago, is a great disappointment in the St Louis area. It's made from fly paper with unrecognizable toppings. Fortunately, I'm very good at making my own Chicago style. You can go to every store in town and buy hot dogs made from road kill. Hot dogs are nearly unknown in any of the fast food places, and the pubs look at you as if you are crazy if you ask for one. I don't know myself what 710 is, but I do know about 420. I'm certain the latter is prolific among the natives here.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ROFL!

meanwhile, turn the 710 upside down and you'll have the answer. :mrgreen:

the kids went to the Foreign Legion family day - and if that's not an oxymoron, i don't what is. well, the came back with some sort of apple pie thing, but it had the strangest film on top. it was thin, too tough for an ordinary knife and pretty much tasteless. i have to ask someone wat that was all about as it's quite popular in the stores.

as for the famous french cuisine... good grief! the regional delicacy is some bean stew with duck. i had it once, but not having been conditioned towards a hefty serving of beans.... i was in agony for 2 days. i felt like they were trying to escape through the stomach wall. never again.

they renovated the cafeteria in a nearby town; unfortunately they did not renovate the menu. you have totally mushed up vegetables, meat stew with grizzle galore, dry fish.... actually, the desserts are ok and so are the salad ingredients. as long as nobody cooked anything. :rolleyes:

also interesting about eggs: eggs are stored in the pantry, never in the fridge! here it's illegal to wash the eggs before sales as they have that protective coating and they'd dry out in the fridge. in n/a it's illegal to sell unwashed eggs, so they have to go into the fridge.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know about French cuisine. Some of it is highly suspect. The pastries, now, that's a whole different story.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I like Steak n Taters, PERIOD, hi hi...