Pagan Rituals of Europe

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Pagan Rituals of Europe

Post by yogi »

Apparently there are still pagan rituals alive and well these days in Europe. Here are a few captured by Charles Fréger in photographic form

http://www.boredpanda.com/wilder-mann-charles-freger/
pilvikki

Re: Pagan Rituals of Europe

Post by pilvikki »

well, i'm thinking there are pagan rituals everywhere and one of my long term friends is a high priest, wiccan, i believe.

as for these dudes, i'd love to have a bit of history about them, they look rather scary.... and what's with the cow bells?
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm not into paganism, so I'm not sure what to make of scary and hairy with cow bells. It's supposed to show how closely we are tied to nature, or something. I didn't know it was a big thing in Europe.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, it seems that unlike n/a, christianity is becoming increasingly 'so last year'. this is supposedly a serious catholic stronghold with a dominican and/or jesuit monastery one mile down the road and another 2 miles up the road. churches are anywhere there are a 100 people congregating and crosses and mini shrines sprinkled everywhere. this puny village has mary off the main square (an area about 100' by 50' or so) and jesus hanging around at the other end of it.

yet.... people are not married, people only go to church on high holidays (if then) and the usual: weddings, funerals etc.

i do think if one were to mention Pagan, they'd faint.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Get a load of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m70Tz7FYphQ

Cor Dear!
yogi

Post by yogi »

A couple things come across in that video:
  • Only MEN are doing the dancing
  • The crowds are more or less oblivious to the show