Sturdy Tires

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Sturdy Tires

Post by yogi »

Here is what it looks like when tires hit the ground at about 200 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohexwJzpsD0
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Sturdy Tires

Post by Kellemora »

Hmm, something must have drastically changed over the years since I worked for McDonnell-Douglas.
What am I talking about?
Well, I noticed in the video that the tires were not spinning before touchdown!
Maybe they make better tires now and don't need to?
OK, I just looked it up. Spinning the tires before landing never gained widespread acceptance, because it didn't help the tires last any longer than not having the feature.
I just thought it odd is all, since at the time I worked in the field, a vane assembly as part of the wheel was a common item. Heck even the little Piper Colt and Tri-Pacer I used to rent had wheel vanes to keep them spinning. The Tri-Pacer had vanes on both sides of the front wheel.
Of course we are talking about the late 1960's and early '70's here, hi hi... Man I'm OLDE!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

talk about burning rubber.... :eek:

just the other day i saw an interesting video of a plane having to land with the front landing gear stuck sideways to the aircraft. can't believe the pilot did it!

ah, found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epKrA8KjYvg

the first two mins are just blah-blah-blah.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's probably not as tricky as you would think. The idea is to keep the front gear off the ground as long as possible. That was a LOT of flaming, but it looked like an ordinary landing otherwise.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

also, i'd think not to drop it, or you'd be doing cartwheels...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think the idea was to prevent the fuselage from contacting the concrete and breaking into flames. I am amazed that the landing gear struts were strong enough to endure a tireless landing. mmm ... not a Boeing plane, was it?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

it was an airbus.

what i can't figure out was no fire trucks waiting for it, like in this clip in warsaw, where a plane belly-flopped itself onto the runway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKo4Eee7V3s
yogi

Post by yogi »

Kudos to Boeing. I take back my snide remark. The Polish Captain of the ship has got to be the coolest pilot in all of history.

Now that I think about it, don't they usually spray foam on the runway in cases like this?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

that i could not understand either, looked like nothing on the runway, yet they had time to assemble an army out there...
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Wowee..
The idea of flying these days freaks me out.. :eek:
yogi

Post by yogi »

My dear Tomsk. I know a few people who fear flying and have never been in an airplane. I understand the fear, but the danger behind it simply isn't realistic. Even when there is trouble, as the above videos show, people do not always die in crashes. Truth is there are very few crashes and flying is safer than walking.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I'd rather walk thank you...
Anyway, Trump looks like he'll kill us all off...
yogi

Post by yogi »

Nothing like going down in a blaze of glory ... would love to see him endure that fate, but it's not fair that he should take us all with him.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

It freaks me out thinking of the implications so I try and avoid thinking about it...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I know what you are experiencing. I've talked to others who are equally anxious. I guess people were frustrated and felt disenfranchised with the old politics. Well, now they have a new populist Nazi running the show. I hope those who voted for him are happy with their choice.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Happy Easter.....
yogi

Post by yogi »

We traveled a few hundred miles to be with relatives this Easter. I was up most of the night with stomach problems. I think it's the water.
Thank you for the wish in any case. I hope you were able to spend some quality time with your family.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

sort of as we are all busy ...still, it's my last night tonight and then off for two weeks...
Sorry to hear about your dodgy stomach..would bottled water be a solution?
Is Easter known as thanks giving?
yogi

Post by yogi »

Bottled water is generally safer than something of unknown quality. I'm really not sure it was the water, but something gave me the equivalent of food poisoning.

Thanksgiving is pretty much an American holiday to commemorate our blessings. Abraham Lincoln was the first president to declare the holiday. Easter was invented by Jesus - or pagans, depending on what history you read. Easter today has religious connotations and is associated mostly with Christianity.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I had a real bout of food poisioning reently and it is a truly horrendous experience,I suspect fowl play..
Abraham Lincoln...I've still not seen the film yet..with Daniel day Lewis...
A most amazing fellow and remarkable..