outhouse art

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

outhouse art

Post by pilvikki »

Last edited by pilvikki on 31 Mar 2017, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
yogi

Re: outhouse art

Post by yogi »

This works just as well without giving away any coded information about you:

Code: Select all

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/outhouses-crescent-moons
I've used a few outhouses many many years ago and none that I recall had a moon. They did have some round holes at the top of the door but that wasn't very artistic.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i've found that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. i don't know why....
if i think of it, i'll try to lop off the end, but i forgets....
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

actually, that was mislabeled... there have been some really artsy outhouses i've seen and there ought to be some on the net, too...

say what...?

yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm liking that throne room. :clap: :lol:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i thought you might! :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My grandparents on my mom's side of the family still used an outhouse when I was well into my teens.
I wasn't there when they dug the hole for the new one, but watched grandpa build it rather than move the old one.
It was a real pleasure to use the new one, with all it's amenities, compared to the old one.
The old one was just an outhouse, or thunderbox as grandpa called it.
The new one had a decorative electric light similar to what one would have over a kitchen table.
It had a vent from under the seat up and through the roof, like a stovepipe.
Also under the seat was a lime sling so you didn't have to scoop lime and spread it yourself, but only grandpa did that when necessary.
Instead of a board with a hole in it, he had a regular toilet seat in the new one.
And as customary, he planted a tree right behind it.
Instead of a moon on the door, he carved out the image of two horses on the two sides of the outhouse. Plus their was a main air intake below the seat level in the back. He must have done something right, because this one never smelled anything like the old one used to.
My wife's family only had an outhouse until she was fourteen years old. But she said it was more like a bathroom than an outhouse after she was like ten years old. It didn't have a toilet, but where you sat looked like a toilet, and they had a sink and mirror.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the old outhouse grandfather had built had started to lean really badly, so b-i-l built a new one with tongue and groove inside panelling, a proper window but nothing else fancy.

a neighbour popped by, scoffed and said "too fancy for a shithouse" and wandered off.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Although my grandpa on my dad's side had a house with three bathrooms, built around 1890, they had no sewers back then, but they did have a Lagoon on the lowest part of their farm, heavily fenced to keep anything and everything out.
Behind the greenhouses, he two a super large outhouses, for the employee's. The one for women had six stalls with doors, a toilet in each, and two sinks with a huge mirror. The men's was no where near as fancy, and only had a partition between the two toilets, and one between the toilets and long open urinal trough. The toilets in each were the old kind with the flush box above your head.
These were abandoned sometime after the war and new indoor bathrooms were installed in ancillary buildings to the greenhouses. But the old outhouses were never torn down, being made of cement block they were still there when I was growing up, used to store oversized decorative planters and the like.
Needless to say, after sewers were installed, everyone had to connect to them, and eventually the lagoon dried out and was filled in with dirt, and in later years, a couple of our ponds were filled in as well.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ok, tom, so do you get a toilet out of that?

i think i told you.... when we bought an old school house in the middle of nwhere, canada, it had a large shed with outhouses at each end. to the right from the backdoor was the girls' and the other the boys'. there were 3 small stalls in each.

eventually we got chickens and they became the chicken coops with exists through the holes into their screened yards.

:grin:
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Sorry,
I got the wrong end of the Pooh stick.... :cry: :redface: :redface: :doh: :eek: