hetero, homo, mono, whatever

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

hetero, homo, mono, whatever

Post by pilvikki »

we had this discussion somewhere and thought this article was a good match to continue it with. but now i'm too tired to read it all with comprehension, so i'll just park it here:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017031 ... osexuality
yogi

Re: hetero, homo, mono, whatever

Post by yogi »

The "other" discussion we had was about gender, which I distinguished from sex and sexuality. The article you cite basically shows how the meaning of words change; heterosexuality meant aberrant at one time, for example. Some would argue that words have fixed meaning, but I see that to be incorrect over time. Meanings of words change due to context and common usage. Social use of words determine what is in the dictionary, not the other way round. The bottom line of all this seems to be a consensus that sexual preference is inborn and not learned.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

re: the 'choice' of becoming gay, why on earth would anyone choose such a derided life-style? "hey everybody! I've been thinking that i'd like to be ridiculed, beaten, spat on, threatened just for shits and giggles by becoming a homosexual."

yeah, totally legit.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Well ... when you think of it, not everyone is unhappy with the gay community. It seems that mostly the righteous ones complain the loudest.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

true enough, but there's enough those who'd throw rocks first and not even bother with questions later.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I guess I'm more tolerant than most. A lot of people equate tolerance with agreement, which is not the case for me. I can get emotional about a lot of things, but the lifestyle other people are living isn't very high up on the list. Added to that, being different is part of life here on earth. I'm not so naive to think that we are all equal. Some of the difference is due to social constructs, but a lot of it is simply inborn.