from the 'you got to be...'

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: from the 'you got to be...'

Post by yogi »

Gender, or lack of it, is a big thing these days. This "alien" is taking things a little too far however.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

and yet he's nowhere near genderless to look or listen to. I have met people who are, like the one in the elevator "are you a boy or a girl?" asks caitie... :eek:

remember Pat from SNL? we never did find out....
yogi

Post by yogi »

I DO recall Pat, and now and days where Pat goes to pee is a huge issue. I can sympathize with the LGBTQ movement, but I also think they are over emphasizing equality. We are not equal. Get over it. Celebrate the differences. That is what makes us interesting.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

but now you can't say that either! really, you can't say anything at all without someone getting their knickers in a knot. like me saying "i don't get how there could be 5 genders...."

someone actually explained that, but that appears to have been a waste of her time: still confused.

come to think of it... not my problem, not my business and I don't care as long as your make up doesn't scare small children.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That's part of the problem. Biologically there are only two genders. The rest of the identities are made up between the ears.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, actually, you can be intersex, I think it's now called, when you get equipped with both sets of genitalia. so, that would be 3... asexual?

don't know how that'd work, same as bi maybe...? hormones?

ok, actually, that does add up, if you add pan to the mix.

it's tough enough to be straight and all that, wouldn't want to try out the other options.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's binary no matter how you look at it. The elementary genders are male and female. All the other x_sexuals are built upon the original two. You may have a problem identifying your gender if you have both sets of gentiles, or none at all, but we are talking about the basic two being in abundance or absent. The argument, of course, is that it's not all about biology. That may be true but then we are talking identity, not gender.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

so, you mean that being homosexual is identity, not biology?
yogi

Post by yogi »

There are male homosexuals and there are female homosexuals defined by the appropriate gender organs they possess. How they came to be attracted to the same sex isn't a gender issue.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

no, that's true. something to do with hormones, I believe. one theory said that if a pregnant women comes under really serious stress in a certain point in the pregnancy, her son would end up gay.

which I find a bit questionable, for why then aren't most guys born around war times gay?

I donno...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've read some genetic explanations, which might ultimately end up in hormone variances. I've known more than a few homosexuals and it's hard to believe it is a learned behavior or a conscious choice. Some kids now and days say they are bisexual because it's trendy, but it's not that simple. My point is that sexual preferences aren't what determines gender.