holy smokes!

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

holy smokes!

Post by pilvikki »

this is hair raising; I've read about the toothpaste etc, but not about the girls and watch dials:

http://www.messynessychic.com/2015/07/0 ... othepaste/
tomsk

Re: holy smokes!

Post by tomsk »

Makes me shiver that...
how much have we been treated like guinea pigs...? :think:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

happens all the time... :bleh:
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

During the second World war females were USED to prepare bombmaking in the Arsenal in Woolwich which invariably killed them due to the poisionous chemicals involved..........these Women are heroes....
yogi

Post by yogi »

Think about all the women who were/are used to test things like birth control drugs and devices. Amazing, innit?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

thalidomide....
yogi

Post by yogi »

That's the one we heard about with the most disastrous results. There are others we have not heard about. Those drugs can't make it to market without using a human guinea pig to see what happens.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Those people are still waiting for adequate compensation I believe...Thalidomide was abominable....
yogi

Post by yogi »

To be scientific you can't tell the subject (human guinea pig) what they might be in for because it could bias the test results. They do sign consent forms, but it most cases it has to be a blind test.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, see that's different; signing a consent form and all that, not just be given something "for your headache" and then watching what happens.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The drug trials are double blind tested. Neither the people who administer the test drug nor the patients who consume it know if they are taking the real thing or a placebo. Everyone knows there may be unexpected side effects, but nobody knows what they are. That's one reason for doing the clinical trials in the first place. It 's a risky business, but the benefits far outweigh the risks. That may explain why people are willing to be the subjects of an experiment.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

yes, icy explained the procedure of one and it was a total pita to participate in. I also get the point of not knowing anything about it, but at least they DO know they're participating in an experiment. i'm talking about bikini island and other hydrogen bomb dropping sites, where they never bothered mentioning 'possible side-effects', even after they knew about them.

i'm talking about drug testing on men, then using them on women as if that's the same. talking about

look at the tar sands in alberta! the natives are coming up with cancers galore, but no, no, no, it could not possibly be... no, don't be silly.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is an old story about using Puerto Ricans as human guinea pigs without their knowledge. We have effective birth control today as a result of said clinical trials. Fast forward to the days of Zika virus, and guess who is testing the vaccine again? https://waragainstallpuertoricans.com/2 ... igs-again/ Admittedly this story smells like fake news or at the very least misleading news, but still. Do we want a vaccine or not?