ugh

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

ugh

Post by pilvikki »

oh man.... what a cold I've got... :sicky:
yogi

Re: ugh

Post by yogi »

AWWWWWW Hope you get better soon
Last edited by yogi on 05 Feb 2017, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

sTOP SNIVELLING WOMAN!
Jusssst kidding...
Hot honey,lemon and ginger...Lemsip, hot bath, soup ...and try to get some sleep... :think:
Get :loveu: :loveu: :loveu: :loveu: well soon..

I had a bout of food poisoning recently and it was projectile vomiting and my tail end burning...UGH indeed..
I'm much better mow though...I think it were the pasta bake that did it... :bleh:
yogi

Post by yogi »

One of the few times I know I had food poisoning was from baked fish at a wedding reception. Fortunately it only lasted 24 hours.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the funny thing is that I've not had a really nasty fullblown cold for so long, I stood here thinking "what am I supposed do now?" I mean, i'm always looking after the kids' colds but totally had trouble translating it myself. dur. there was no pain, no headache, just a wee bit of problem trying to breath and think, you know. and shivering to bits when the fever started to go up. been years since I had a hefty temperature and i'd prefer to wait for years for the next one. and the coughing like your lungs are about depart really kills the conversation. meh.

but almost back to abnormal now. yay!

food poisoning? :eek: i'd rather have 3 colds than that!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

are yer better now kiddo?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

actually... no. I thought I was done, but not yet. and now my chest hurts so I need to see if i'm working on some sort of pneumonia or if it's just cough fatigue.

aawww... that brought glenn to mind!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Did he ever get that book published?
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

:lol:
I liked his guitar playing...
He had impeccable taste in music.... :loveu: :cool:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

no, he didn't... I told him i'd take care of it, but all the final files are with his sister and she keeps saying we should do something about it - and then I hear nothing. I keep prodding and probing, but she won't tell me where the shoe pinches. I put 3 years on again, off again, depending on his progress, into those books, so i'd be really happy if she at least told me why they've been shelved.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm not sure that it would be easy to get the books published. It certainly could not be inexpensive. Gary would know more about that than I. I'm thinking it would be the ultimate tribute to Glenn's memory. I have a copy of some very early drafts he let me look at. They are far from being a complete story, but at least it's something.

EDIT: I just found something of his with 213 pages of text. It looks like the book, but I'm not sure it was the final version. I have cover art and all. :mrgreen:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

oh I know, it would not be easy... but i'd love to give it a go at least.

213 pgs.... hm... what do you have for dates on them?

the last lot I have... i'll take a look. brb!

well, the last addition to my drop box was in dec 2014, but the possibly final edition was from 2012. so i'm totally confused. oh, except now that I think of it, there was not much added in 2014.

the one I have in 229 pgs, so we must have the same copy, give or take spacing and stuff. the last paragraph reads:

The Bond will continue to reveal its secrets as is necessary, and as it wills. Events of great magnitude will occur, and they will be confronted with acts of equally great bravery and dedication. The Chronicles of Lor and Sssarrr will live on, as long as there is any dragon or human living in Esss-tholto carry those memories forward.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Page 230 wrote:The Bond will continue to reveal its secrets as is necessary, and as it wills. Events of great magnitude
will occur, and they will be confronted with acts of equal bravery and dedication. The Chronicles of
Lor and Sssarrr will live on, as long as there is any dragon or human living in Esss-thol to carry those
memories forward.
Dated 12/31/12

It looks like I read it wrong. This copy has 233 pages, glossary et. al.. I'm guessing you and I have the same edition, but I do know Glenn planned on follow ups. Whether or not he started other books is unknown to me. He probably told me, but you know how old brains are. :mrgreen:

A book can be published, and a book CAN be published. I'm sure you can pay somebody enough to put hard/soft covers around those .pdf files. But I'm not so sure it will be easy to find somebody to do that without a good return on the time they invest. The file format may need changing for one thing, and then there is the concept of who owns the originals and are they willing to give up publishing rights. I'm thinking since it has already been distributed, it may be a loophole around copyrights. Then again, what do I know? Where is our resident published author when we need him? :grin:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

yes, he, indeed, started on the second in the series, but he was STILL working on the first and we were endlessly arguing over everything. and btw, when I copied the paragraph, I found 2 typos just in that - which I fixed... :facepalm:

I think the copyrights ought to be debs, but I really don't know what to do now. if she is serious about getting it done, i'd go over stuff with her, BUT if not, i'd not want to start all over again. the style he wrote it in is not a favourite of mine, so that's already a problem and i'm working on another book, written in a style I get along with, so...

suggestion would be welcome.
yogi

Post by yogi »

First of all, I have some doubts that a copyright would be valid given that Glen probably distributed his work to several people before declaring his sole copyrights. That's an assumption on my part. If he did indeed copyright everything, then it's part of his former estate. His heirs would probably be the owners now. I bring this up for only one reason. If the book is going to be published for profit, then royalties need to be properly distributed. On the other hand, if it's going to be published only for it's value as a tribute to Glenn's efforts, I'd say all bets are off. In that case a simple agreement from the family would be all that's needed.

There could be some problems publishing the book. Glenn is an unknown author and as such I would guess publishers would hesitate to sell his book. If they did think there was potential, somebody would have to edit and possibly rewrite the text. I agree that it would be impossible to duplicate Glenn's style. Plus, if it is edited, even correction of spelling and grammar errors, then that would take away from the spirit of what Glenn left behind. If this is going to be a memorial, maybe it should not be cleaned up.

I am also pretty sure that a limited number of books, say 10-100 copies, could be manufactured as is for the right price. Then it would be up to whoever has those books to distribute them as seen fit.

Personally, I am honored to have been given a copy of his book by Glenn. Not only do I have the book file, but I also have a few e-mails from him to enhance the memories. So, I'm happy as things stand. However, I agree that it would be a worthy effort to memorialize Glenn's work in one form or another. I think that was his ultimate goal.