Anniversary trip...

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Anniversary trip...

Post by brandtrn »

Making plans for our anniversary trip in June (18 years this year!). Normally, we spend that period of time (or a few weeks before) in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, the city in which we were married. This year, the Mad Russian has expressed the desire to view the upper peninsula of my home state which, unfortunately for him, he has never managed to visit before now. With that in mind, I've secured a log home for four nights on the shores of Lake Superior in Munising, Michigan, just a short drive from the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and with a view of Grand Island right in front of the house. What a lovely little trip this will be, and something out of the ordinary for both of us! I'm actually quite pleased that he wants to do so for a change, because salt water and warm beaches, mountains, etc. and all of the things he normally loves to travel to, lovely though they may be, pale significantly (in this Michigan girl's opinion) in comparison to the green forests and the cold but oh-so-beautiful Great Lakes which may be seen, so easily, in my "home" state (those old explorers didn't refer to them as "inland seas" for no reason!). And yes, the cabin IS pet-friendly, because of course, the babies WILL be traveling with us (fortunately, the property has 10 acres, so they should be able to run as much as they want!). And, as much as Yury hates having to drive on "road trips" (I usually do the huge majority of the driving during ALL of our vacations!), he WILL be the one to drive across the Mackinac Bridge! I HATE bridges with a passion (actually, I have a pathological fear of the damn things!), but have managed to suck it up and to drive over many of them throughout the years -- several of which have been *more* than a few miles long. BUT...a freaking suspension bridge which is designed to accommodate high winds and sway in the process of doing so? Ummm, no thanks! HE can drive across that, while I keep my freaking eyes closed! I can always take over the driving, once he manages to get us safely across that fearsome thing! Once there, though, I'll take great pleasure in showing any Yoopers I might meet what a *real* "troll" I am (the term "troll" is Yooper slang which refers to Michiganders from the lower peninsula, i.e., those of us from "under the bridge").
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
pilvikki

Re: Anniversary trip...

Post by pilvikki »

I love that! troll, eh? :lol:

that sounds lovely, i'll have to take a "trip" that way via google earth, it sounds fabulous.

but, would june not mean.... mosquitos? :eek:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Sounds great, except for any talk of bridges. I hate the suspension ones as well.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

for me it depends on the bridge. I didn't mind the millau, in france (Height: 343 m
Total length: 2,460 m), nor öresund between Denmark and Sweden ( Height: 204 m
Longest span: 490 m), but some smaller ones have made me break out in a sweat.
and once, sitting on a train and unexpectedly going over a really deep valley, I actually yelped. luckily there was nobody to hear me... :redface:

as for yuri going north with you... I think the mad Russian is evolving. :grin: and I hope you will have a wonderful trip!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Same here, and hope the babies travel well for you.
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by brandtrn »

Yes, pilvikki, mosquitoes and those nasty, biting black flies...during the time we're traveling there, they'll be most prevalent in that area, unfortunately. But the nice thing about the U.P. is that it's cool enough, even in summer, for long pants (and occasionally, even long sleeves) to be comfortable. And, on the days when it's actually possible to hang out in shorts, flip-flops and a tank top, we NEVER travel anywhere near the water without lots of mosquito repellent (as well as citronella candles, etc.).
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

mossies, black flies, no-see-ums... that then give away to deer flies, horseflies...

yep, bring on the bats, birds and dragonflies!

I cannot tolerate anything with DEET, so i'm up the creek when it comes to bug battles. which figures since I love the outdoors.