the endoscopy

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
pilvikki

the endoscopy

Post by pilvikki »

I had to get one due to my cranky gut, to see what was causing me to constantly get a pain that felt like my ribs were on a bbq.

I was very nervous about this, but not because of the procedure. it's that 'slight' issue I have with the language and how people at that particular facility have treated me thus far: rudely, coldly and condescending. I had thought punkin would have been with me, but she'd decided to bail...

so, there I am, punkin had got me settled and went off to get the kids' lunch. my bracelet was attached, and the 2 a's in my middle name, marjaana, queried. I was wearing a hairnet and a gold foil blanket over some thin fibre sheet. it was amazingly warm. I had plenty to entertain myself with, i'd brought both a book and my phone. silly me, I thought i'd be able to use the phone for translating, but - naturally - there was no available service as punkin had declined it... so I played backgammon. still it got old real fast.

oh well, it ought not to take long.... it was almost noon.... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

yeah, right, what was I thinking, i'm in france! they're ALWAYS late, but eventually a tall, dark and handsome came to fetch me. after checking my name, making sure I really needed the 2 a's, we flew through the hallways like in a movie scene. :eek: he parked me, wished me good day and left.

then I was taken into the operating theatre, after once more going through the name and the 2 a's. inside there were people everywhere and I was introduced to at least 6 doctors,+ nurses, aids, whatever. they all marvelled at my name, asked about the 2 a's but once told I was a finn, they nodded as if that explained everything. yet only one had ever met a finn, and she'd been a swede at that. they were the most cheerfully lot one could wish for, I must have shaken a dozen hands. there was a woman to my left and man to my right. it was 1.36...

I was rolled into position, a cannula stuck into the vein at my inner elbow, a mask over my mouth (hang on now....?), sensors here and there. the mask was removed, the lines hooked up, 2 doctors smiled broadly "say good night!" "night!" I smiled and...

...woke up. looked at the clock: 2.12.

around me there were 8 people, still out cold, all wrapped in their gold foil, like specimens in a sci-fi movie. the staff was their break by the sound of it.

this was our bedding:

I loved the 'king tut' look!

after a few minutes I was told the diagnosis (i'll live), then handed photos of my insides and a detailed diagnosis in a letter to bring to my GP.

2 hours later punkin and the kids came to spring me, she had to sign me out.

and here i'd worried for nothing! I understood enough to get by and even when I got stuck, either was explained again, in a different way, or the person would know enough words in English that I could paste it all together.

:banana:
Icey

Re: the endoscopy

Post by Icey »

Your gold bedding looks very regal!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

no kidding. if I end up with there again, i'll bring scissors and cut myself a crown. :lol:
Icey

Post by Icey »

ROFL!! Your head might get over-heated though!!

I think you did really well, especially with the language barrier in the way - but you obviously managed!!
Did you have a sore throat afterwards?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

my throat feels the same as always, I e sore... the only difference was a spot on my palate that something had scraped or pressed against. felt a bit like when you burn your mouth with hot food, but that's gone now.
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by brandtrn »

Isn't the medication they give you just lovely?? With most endoscopies, not only do you get something to relax you, along with a bit of a painkiller, but you *also* usually get Versed...a completely awesome benzodiazepine medication which'll make you "forget" any discomfort you endured -- and trust me, you DID endure it! I always hated assisting with endoscopies, colonoscopies, etc., because the patients were ALWAYS abominably uncomfortable during the procedures and it was painful to watch this, but the blessing of the Versed is that they had positively NO memory of it afterwards!
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
Icey

Post by Icey »

Wow, you're a more forward lot than over here Cindy! I'd think the patients'd be very grateful for being given something to alleviate any discomfort.

I don't know if you've read any previous posts where I've mentioned this, but in the UK, endoscopies're classed as every-day procedures. Patients might be offered a numbing spray while the camera's inserted, but very often, they're done without anything, as 2 out of 3 of my friends found out.

I'd positively hate that if I had to undergo the procedure, and'd ask to be put to sleep, as Vikki was, but they don't like doing it because of time and cost. Children, who might obviously get distressed and squirm around, ARE put out, but adults, no. They're not given anything afterwards either. : (

Vikks - glad you feel OK again now.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, that explains it! I had no memory of any discomfort for the entire day! it's too bad one can't be versed every day! some days I could really use it... :think: