Icey

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
yogi

Icey

Post by yogi »

No, really. ICEY.

This is out the window in the command and control center right after sunrise. It shows what happens after freezing rain falls upon several inches of preexisting snow. The temps today will approach freezing and hopefully some of that arctic scenery will melt away. Thought I'd capture it before it gets ugly.
pilvikki

Re: Icey

Post by pilvikki »

that probably is one of the worst weather options ever...

looks good though. :rolleyes:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Ooh, it's beautiful Yogi, but no, won't be too good as it's melting and turning slushy.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

it looks like vanilla mousse.. :cool:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i'm thinking whipped egg whites...
yogi

Post by yogi »

Same view, one week later. There are still patches of snow out of sight, but for the most part it's all gone thanks to a series of 50+ degree days and lots of sunshine.

Icey

Post by Icey »

Good grief! That went quickly, although with the weather turning much warmer ....

The snow you get looks powdery Yogi. I think ours's of a different texture. We get layers of ice which compact solidly, and it can take days to melt from the paths.

I've just checked that up, and it appears to be right. Our snow comes down as "wet snow" which's a mixture of rain and snow, different to normal 'dry' snow due to the number of ice crystals forming in the flake.

Yours still looked nice though! :thumbu:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I miss the lovely, fluffy, brilliant white-blue snow.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I'd usually be sorry to see ANY snow disappear, but after so many icy, rainy, windy, foggy days, it'd be really nice to have a few continuous sunny ones.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Icey - you are talking about what we call sleet. That phenomena generally occurs when the ground is not snow covered. Typically it indicates a transition from warm weather to colder weather. The sleet may freeze but is quickly melted with the first dose of direct sunlight.

The first picture here was taken after we already had 18 inches of snow on the ground and then experienced a sleeting precipitation. Immediately after that storm passed the temperatures dropped 25-30 degrees below freezing. Thus the sleet formed a coating of ice on top of the existing snow. The picture shows the results of many days of bright sunshine wherein the top layer of ice melted and refroze afterward. I'm guessing there is 8-10 inches of snow under that icey coating. The ice cap was thick enough to support the weight of most dogs, but out back where the sun does not shine as much as upon the front lawn the icey coating was thinner. See my photo of critter tracks for an example.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

this Is snow overdone:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Our sleet's just icy rain that doesn't hang around for very long if it settles. The snow over there appears more "powdery" than ours, probably because we get "wet snow" as opposed to "dry". Whatever, I like to see snow in any form, but it seems to take an age to melt away.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I meant to post this from Halifax, but it wouldn't fit, so then I was going to and then, and that it didn't work and...

Icey

Post by Icey »

Woo hooo!! That's too beautiful. Good job the door's elevated though. Imagine when it all melted.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

Icey

Post by Icey »

:lmao1:

Yes, that seems to sum it up!
imhotep the 2nd

Post by imhotep the 2nd »

Brrrrr.....to be truthfully honest I sure hate the white stuff.
I'm a long warm hazy days summer kind of person myself. I truly hate the cold, frosty and icy winter. If only I could hibernate until the Spring time, I would, then I'd be very happy. Lol....ah well dream on eh.
:smile:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well it's certainly dire round here all the time, imhotep - and hello again!

Down south, they've had some beautiful warm weather. WHEN we've had some sunshine, it's been accompanied by a chilly breeze, and we've had approx. just 2.5 days since the start of the year, when you could truly say it's been lovely. : (
Last edited by Icey on 11 Jun 2015, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
imhotep the 2nd

Post by imhotep the 2nd »

Hiya. Yes, it's so glad to be back again in this brand new bfchat website.
Sorry I haven't got round to sending you a private em, but I'll get round to it eventually. I hope you can be patient with my tardiness. :)
Just having some difficulty with life in general atm.
But I'm slowly getting back on my feet so to speak...
:sigh:
The weather has been nice all week so far, but still a bit on the chilly side. Just looked on the forecast earlier and the local weatherman said that there's a change on the way. Hope it's for the better.
Signing off now as it's getting a bit late at night :sleep:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hope your weather turns out better than ours then. Night hun.