Workplace favoritism and other BS

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Workplace favoritism and other BS

Post by brandtrn »

Busy night last night, but it was still a reasonably pleasant shift. It would have been *perfectly* pleasant, if the entire nursing management staff wouldn't have decided to stay late so that they could a) suck Dr. Incompetent's (one of our facility surgeons) ass, and b) so that they could try to micro-manage the Hell out of our nursing care. REALLY?? There isn't ONE of these bitches who has actually laid hands on a patient in I-don't-know-how-many years, so how the Hell they can even begin to THINK that they're capable of telling ME (or any of the rest of us) how to give good nursing care is something that I'm totally clueless about. Y'know, there's an old saying, that those who can, do, and those who can't, teach. I would like to amend that saying somewhat: Those who can, do, and those who can't, work in effing management.

I know that this is going to sound juvenile, but the fact that every single management bitch was in the building last night just added to my aggravation re: the fact that my birthday was completely ignored by every last one of them. Granted, my actual birthday WASN'T until midnight, anyway (and not one of them stayed THAT late), but given the fact that I'm off for the next three nights, it would have been appreciated if even ONE of them would have bothered to have wished me a happy birthday. Don't get me wrong...at my age, birthdays AREN'T so much of a big deal, but when I see how these bitches go all out for certain staff members when *their* birthdays roll around, I have to admit that I felt somewhat neglected and insulted.

Case in point: there is a certain staff member whom I've bitched about here on more than one occasion. When he worked day shift, he made it a habit to show up consistently late for the start of his shift...usually, at least 15 minutes late and, on occasion, for one or more hours. There were TWO times that he's been more than two hours late to relieve me at the end of my shift, and he's done it on at least FIVE additional occasions to two of my colleagues and, mind you, these are only the incidents that I'm aware of! For all that I know, it could have happened even MORE than that before management, due to the numerous complaints from the night shift staff who were pissed off about not being able to go home on time, finally switched him over to the night shift. Trust me when I tell you that we were NOT happy to have him working with us on our shift! He gives crappy patient care, WON'T get up off his dead ass to answer call lights, and I HATE working with him! Yes, he's got a great personality, and I could ALMOST like him except that, since I'm the charge nurse whenever I work, I'm held accountable for not only MY OWN work, but for the work done by the other nurses on the shift, as well. This means that I end up "babysitting" and doing not only all of my own work, but a good portion of HIS work, besides, whenever I have to work with him! Although I continue to complain to upper management when he blows me off and refuses to carry his fair share of the load, my complaints fall upon deaf ears. And management staff (especially one of them in particular) refuses to believe that he's capable of doing any wrong whatsoever. I'm actually halfway convinced that this lazy bastard has got to be the "boy toy" of one of our nursing bigwigs, as much partiality as is shown to him for the little effort he actually makes at doing his job. For example, when HIS birthday rolled around just over a month ago, management staff went ALL OUT for him...not only did he get a cake and a birthday card, but management ALSO sprung for expensive sushi for him to enjoy for his supper! I, who clean up after this bastard on a regular basis, didn't get a cake, a card, or even an effing cheap sandwich from Jimmy John's. Hell, if somebody had even bothered to have said "happy birthday, Cindy" that would have been just peachy, as far as I was concerned. The only thing said to me last night (except for "suggestions" on how to manage patient care) by management staff was a request for me to rearrange my schedule somewhat and to work TONIGHT rather than on Saturday. One MIGHT have thought that when I replied, "no, it's my birthday and I have plans," that the words "happy birthday" might have crossed SOMEBODY's lips, but that was not to be!

Go figure...I've been in that place for three years now, have received OUTSTANDING performance evaluations year after year and am, with as many spinal and orthopedic surgeries as we do in our facility, the ONLY nurse on staff who's bothered to become nationally certified in orthopedic nursing. No, I'm NOT a "brown-noser," nor do I deal well with "cliques" or seek to join committees. I do my job, I give *excellent* patient care, and I make it possible for those management bitches to sleep peacefully during the night, because I MANAGE any issues or emergencies which arise during my shift! But, it seems, as much as management repeatedly denies that there's any "favoritism" among them (this simple fact has been observed and complained about by *many* staff members...and no, I'm NOT one of said staff members who've complained!), that there IS some definite favoritism existent! But why should I complain about something that is so blatantly obvious and not at all likely to change? I could complain until I'm blue in the face, and succeed only in raising my blood pressure and compromising my quality of life. No, I WON'T complain...I'll show up for every single shift I'm scheduled to work, do my job to the absolute BEST of my ability (as I always do, no matter how crappy I might be feeling on any given night), and continue to count the days until I'm ready to present them with my two-week notice (even though I already KNOW I'm leaving for another full-time job in December, I'm NOT OBLIGATED to give them MORE than two weeks' notice...and I'm damned if I will!). No, not only will I not make it easy for them to have a couple of months in which to search for my replacement, but there'll be no further adjusting of my schedule to accommodate these assholes once said schedule has been posted. Hell, there'll be no more "extra" efforts on my part in ANY way whatsoever. If they're so determined to let the "trash" nurses lord it over those of us who actually bust our asses to make a difference, then they *shouldn't* be surprised and/or upset when, at the end of the day, the "trash" is all they're left with! It does NOT do to make one's dedicated, hard-working staff feel as though they are not valued or appreciated! End of today's rant...
Last edited by brandtrn on 14 Oct 2015, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
Icey

Re: Workplace favoritism and other BS

Post by Icey »

Bless you, and happy belated birthday Cindy.

You know, it's obvious that you work very hard, and it must feel pointless when no one seems to appreciate your efforts. I think you'll be much happier when you leave.

The place doesn't appear to be run properly at all (at management level, at least), but you find this in no end of work places.

In the UK, hospital matrons're being brought back into some departments, and all the better for it, but "admin. staff" run the show, and unless people complain, they know relatively nothing about what goes off, but at least we DO have a good complaints procedure.

On your birthday, I don't think it would've gone amiss to mention it to colleagues before the actual day arrived. When I was at work for a few short months, folk did this, and brought in cakes for the whole gang in their departments, and then those who'd been unaware of the celebration'd go out at lunchtime and buy cards/presents, or come in with them the following day. It's just a tradition over here, but might be different over there. If we were invited out for a meal with said colleagues, it was never on the actual birthday itself, because most people had other plans then, with their family or friends away from work, but it would've been nice if just ONE of them'd wished you a happy day.

Let's hope that your new position'll see a change in all respects.
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by brandtrn »

My colleagues, actually, were not the problem. Birthdays, etc., are always posted in the company newsletter, and my co-workers were kind enough (each and every one of them) to wish me a happy day. The management staff (i.e., those who have the data and who actually generate the newsletter and, even those who don't actually participate in the publication of it should, at least, be READING it!), therefore, had no excuse. As I said, it's a silly, juvenile thing to complain about -- and, if I weren't so totally aggravated about how they handled their nursing staff in general, it would have been a non-issue for me. But, as I said, I SAW, with my own eyes, how they made such a big fuss over one of their "trash" nurses on HIS day, and have seen myself (and others with recent birthdays) completely ignored. Doesn't leave a very nice taste in one's mouth, I might say. But in any case, you are right. I think that I WILL be happier when away from that place. Don't get me wrong...there is NO such thing as a "perfect" workplace. But there must be a FEW workplaces still remaining where those who give their 100% best efforts to their job are respected and valued...and thank you for the birthday wishes!
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
Icey

Post by Icey »

You're right. Sorry, I was reading it that NO ONE took it upon themselves to congratulate you, and yes, the management could've had the decency to've said or done SOMEthing. Funny how they often don't, though, as if they're above everyone else and they don't matter.

It does rather sound as though they either favour the "trash" nurse, or he made it his business to let the echelons know about his day, and yes, I can understand you feeling peeved. However, if the management in general don't at least congratulate all their staff on their birthdays, then you can see what sort of people they are. If you were the ONLY one not to've received a few words, then that's pretty bad of them. I think you're going to be fine in your new job, and wish you the very best of luck.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the sad truth is that in any large organization it's the politicians who float up to management positions and then stall at their level of incompetence. it was quite sickening to watch the excellent supervisors and managers get brushed aside and eventually fired, while some arrogant pup brown-noses his way up.

ugh.

and yes! hope your day was otherwise great!

:loveu:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

a bit more cake?
Icey

Post by Icey »

Awww, that's a lovely one!

Happy belated birthday Cindy.

brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by brandtrn »

Thanks, everyone, for the birthday wishes. And no, Icey, it's not yet belated. It'll still be my birthday for another few hours ;-)
yogi

Post by yogi »

Speaking about recognition from management ... to make a long story short, I was offered incentives to retire about ten years early after 36 years of service. The economy was going down the tubes and this was particularly true for high tech people like myself in bleeding edge industries. But, 10% of the staff had to go, and us old timers were given the opportunity to leave with a bundle if we promised not to sue them later. At the exit interview they also offered to run a full blown retirement party for this guy with more than three decades of dedicated service. All the people I could think of, plus some important "suits" and a fancy reception hall would be included. They would take care of everything. I told them to shove it and use the money to keep some poor sap a few months longer on the payroll. As straight faced as she could possibly be, she told me it's a different budget and the funds can't be transferred.
:thud:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

that's EXACTLY!!! the kind of bullshit i'm referring to. makes my blood boil!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Not good at all, but you did your best Yogi.

Oops! The time difference Cindy. No matter. Another year older, but I bet you feel no different from yesterday. : )
Hope you enjoyed yourself in your own way. x