basque country

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
pilvikki

basque country

Post by pilvikki »

"At over 900m, the summit of the Rhune is the first in the Pyrenean chain and offers a beautiful panorama of the Basque coast it dominates. From here you can see all 7 Basque provinces in France and Spain, the higher summits of the Pyrenees, the Basque coast from Biarritz to San Sebastián and the beaches of the Landes stretching as far as the eye can see. Sample the Spanish way of life in one of the 3 ventas (Spanish restaurant and souvenir shop).

The authentic vintage rack railway dates back to 1924 and takes you through the unspoiled natural landscape at 9km/hr. During the 35 min ascent you can discover the flora and fauna native to the Basque mountain.

The mountain is inhabited by Pottoks, small hardy Basque ponies roaming free, red headed Manech sheep and Griffon vultures native to the Pyrenees."

on the mountain, in between the clouds. now you see me...

a few seconds later:

hard to fit in between the heads, taken from the train.

stringed peppers all over the houses. the region is world famous for them. who knew?

typical basque house. they're are well kept and pretty.

everything - unlike Languedoc here - is lush and green. fewer vineyards, more cows. I took this picture from the window of the house we were staying at; zoomed just over the roofs of the town.

tomsk

Re: basque country

Post by tomsk »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzlk2sRQvK8

O my gosh,
our planet is so beautiful.. :loveu: :heart:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Pottoks? :eek: Oh yes - yes, of course! :lol:

Lovely pics Vikki. I've mainly sampled the Pyrenees from the air, which doesn't quite have the same effect. It's a shame about the blot on the horizon, but unfortunately, we're stuck with them until someone makes something less unappealing on the eye.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You could rename this to [photos]Basque Country and voila !
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

and pottoks?
Icey

Post by Icey »

Here you go Tomsk:

tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Muchas gracias,,
Icey

Post by Icey »

:lol: Very swift!
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by brandtrn »

Lovely! Never been there! I am SO jealous!
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, next time you're thinking of heading south, head east instead! i'll take you around! :grin:

just yesterday we were admiring a house that had been built for the cranky Catherine de medici.