Notes To Self

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
yogi

Re: Notes To Self

Post by yogi »

The workstation you use will change files constantly. At the end of the day you can back up whatever is on your local disk to a remote storage. That's the only time your workstation copy will match the backup copy exactly. Next day at the workstation, you either continue with what's on your local drive or download the backup from the previous day. What you do depends on how much you want to save permanently. This method also will assure that only the previous backup is current - no duplicates other than what you are working on first thing in the morning. At some point the backup should be turned into a read-only archive. This can be done daily, weekly, monthly, or whatever interval makes sense to you. The archive copies never change. Depending on the interval of the archive process, you will end up with archives of archives of archives, ad infinitum. Realistically you would toss the oldest archives at some point or keep them in a data warehouse forever.

Disaster recovery is not the same as backup, although you must rely on backups to recover from a disaster. Off site storage is the safest method of preserving data, but you can get along very well using The Cloud for that purpose. A good amount, if not all, of this backup can be automated.

When X-Box was invented the only way you could use it was via a stand alone unit. The stand alone boxes are still available, but access to the data and games can be done via Windows 10 now. I'm not sure what Microsoft had in mind when they removed games from what used to be their OS. From a business service POV I supposes that makes sense, but a lot of Windows users are not involved with businesses. I think the push is toward subscription of every piece of Windows, and X-Box is just one of the pieces you will need to pay for to use. It's no different than what Steam or GOG or Origin or anybody else does. It's a way to sell games, with or without a desktop.

HTML5 is still Hypertext Markup Language and not a game engine. They standardized the way media players are embedded into web pages when they wrote the specs for HTML5. There is a lot of fancy formatting that can be applied now which did not exist previously, but while it is possible to make games in HTML it is not intended to be a game engine. It's a presentation system that can accommodate game engine output. Thus, if a developer uses Flash to stream their game content, HTML5 can handle it. Flash uses vector graphics which is very useful for animations. HTML5 (or any other version) doesn't have that kind of capability.

My understanding is that Adobe, the inventors of Flash, has dropped their support for it. It's too buggy for them to fix not to mention the infamous security risks. That leaves a lot of game developers out on the lurch. Not only is their game engine unsupported but the way it's presented in browsers is deprecated. Some folks have taken to alternative methods which is what Google and your contact at Slashkey are up to. It's an attempt to save all the work put into previous games, but the Internet has become a security nightmare. Those game developers are going to have to think real hard about how to make safe games.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I remember the nightmare of Incremental Backups. On the bright side, all of your original work and each change was saved separately and appended to the main file. The downside was the file would reach its maximum size fairly fast, and a new file was created in the background. Pretty soon you had a dozen or so large files and couldn't delete them until you ran a file update to include all the changes in the new file.

One reason I simply make copies of my files, rather than use backups, was the pain of having to restore a backup in order to pull the necessary files from it. Restore usually overwrote all new work too unless you saved it elsewhere. I know that now they have made it so you can extract files or documents from backups without having to restore, bet even so, I like having an Original and an exact Copy of each folder, file, and document.

All of my websites were handwritten in HTML, which when it became depreciated, I rewrote all of my websites using XHTML/CSS. When it became depreciated I stared over from scratch and rewrote them all in HTML5, and when hitting a few problems decided to use Bootstrap CSS to achieve things I used to do the hard way.
It's been a few years since I've made any changes to my websites and I've completely forgotten all I learned, so if I do have to make a change, I will have to learn it all over again.

As an aside, I've tried several programs for building HTML5 and I feel it is harder to learn those programs than just do it all by hand. At least then you know where to go change something if you documented your original file well. The file I upload is condensed to the point it is just one long string of HTML5 code, and all images are compressed to the max. Makes for super fast loading!

I do agree, Flash has a lot of back-door entry points hackers can use. However, a couple of game companies appear to require a secure download so the game itself is played like in a sandbox. I know although my wife has Flash on her computer for most of the games she plays, there are a few games where she had to download another copy of Flash from the game website and it is in a locked folder we can't get into to see what all is in there. You can delete the folder by going to their website and tell them to delete it and poof it's gone. They also delete it if you have not played a game that uses that download, so this means they probably do have access to your computers hard drive. Which to me sounds like another door for hackers to get in, hi hi.

I had a couple of Windows games that would not play right using WINE, but they worked great using Play On Linux, which I think also uses WINE, but perhaps a modified version of it.
I had a couple of Windows XP games I like to play and both of them play the same on Windows as they do in Wine. Then I have a couple of other games that although they play OK, they don't play like when running on a Windows XP computer. I still have an old Windows XP machine connected to my KVM to play Free Cell when I'm taking a break.

A company my son worked for a few years ago had an IBM mainframe, plus their server farm. He uses Windows computers and could play all the Windows games offered on their mainframe. Said it didn't matter if you used Linux or Windows or what version, if you could connect to the mainframe you could play any game they offered. They didn't offer a lot of games, almost all of them were old Windows games, but there were a few he knew came from the LInux community, and/or Open Source gaming groups. My point here was simply, the game did not download onto his computer to play, he just had to connect to the mainframe using the companies installed log-in module which was a download. He never said if this was done using a browser, but I don't think so. In his index was a program to connect to his job. When you opened this program, you got their companies opening screen, and index of options, some were grayed out because he did not have permission for a lot of them.

Have a great day Yogi!
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

It's quite a trip to wander this Board. In a single thread you've wandered from Computers to Medical Electronics to local taxes to culture war to democracy and then to health... Here my two cents.
- I bought my home computer (Lanix) at the factory in Hermosillo in 2006. So far I've replaced the video card that died due to Electrolytic issues left from the faulty chinese formula of 2002-2007, along with all the Ellectrolytic Capacitors of the MB, the PD-820 processor that also suddenly got fried was replaced with a PD-940, had a HD suddenly stop responding, that is sitting around in an antistatic bag... That 'puter is still working relatively well taking into account that it already has 12 years and that every now and then I blow the dust off. It's main OS is W7, although I have installed as multibooth WXPMCE (the one it came with), Q4OS and Remix OS... I mostly work in W7 and most of the SW I use works there, so the others are just for reference or learning/tweaking purposes by now. Heck, I even run the Canon scanner within a WXP session in VMWare when I need it and don't want to switch OSes. In work it's W10 and W7 embedded. I prepared a portable version of Virtualbox with W7 in a USB HD for some stuff I occasionally bring to work.
- Recently I've been atracted to hearing aids... At first I thought it mainly had to do with frequency shifting and DSP, depending on the needs of the patients, but found that in the past it was mostly done with OPAMP's, filters and just lately the DSP's were introduced.

- Since in home we don't live in the DF (or CDMX, as it has been renamend recently), we do pay real state taxes and water bills on our municipality. Electricity company is owned by the Federal government as "Federal Electricity Commission", in 2009 they took over the local "Central Light And Electromotor Force Company", also owned by the government, but expecting to be fused to the CFE since the 70's... Their offices were a trip back in time for me, as they still had mechanical typewriters and handled themselves the same as they were as a bureaucratic state company from the 70's... Nat Gas is handled by subsidized companies since the deployment of the alternative to Propane tanks in each home serviced by trucks roaming the city... It may not be much cheaper, but it is much more reliable than having a 300 liter gas tank on the yard or roof.

- Lately there has been a lot of media attention on both the building of a new airport for our city and also on the migrant caravans that cross out country from southwest to the North. On the Airport, I've been following the issue since I became aware that we have an International airport right in the middle of the city, whose land reserve hjas bben diverted for housing purposes (around the same time we left the fixed USD-MXP 12.50 rate in 1976, yep, I was 5 and a half at the time, and was what I read as an acceptation exam for elementary school). In short: The airport was being built on the most saline part of the Texcoco lakebed, so it was not a groundwater refill area, was the deposition site for all the 1985 Earthquake rubble form the City fallen buildings and had been designated Federal property since dry in 1931. Yet activists and people that wanted those lands for free took the issue to the leftist winning Presidential candidate, and, more than a month before taking office, there is a illegal decree stopping the construction, after having all the subsoil cleaned, pressed to take out part of the humidity left, covered with salt resistant cover, planted with thousands of steel concrete posts to support the already finished terminal and control tower basements... For using an Airbase that is also in another part of the same lakebed with the same soil, within an usable groundwater refill area and near what is left of the original lake in Zumpango, that harbors 10 times as much birds as the artificial Nabor Carrillo And Duck Tail artificial lagoons that were "defended" by the maniestations and the so called decree...

- The other issue beind mediatized is the influx of migrants fron Cantral America to the US. First of all, there was no need to break any door or barrier since mos of our southern border has no walls, mostly the only guarded places are the Douanes at International bridges in the Suchiate and Usumacinta rivers. Apart of that the border is only a clean line with markers within rainforests, bouys at one of the Montebello lakes and not much more. In the days after the original clash, the media has been trying to provoke hatred among the population against the migrants trying to expose only the worst parts of behaviour, attitudes and even health and infectious issues to spread fear among the population. Checking about history, this caravan is not new, is one more after dozens, but is being used as a campaign issue for both our transitional government and US federal Elections...

- I can't really grasp the depth of US Big pharma industry... Maybe I'm used to our SS medical system that has took me a couple of times from having major injuries without adding a dime to our federal quotes or gushing our savings, that our country pays a tenth of what the US pays per capita in health, to the fact that our immunization system is compulsory, federally supported and has a 96% coverage rate for the last decade... Yep, cn't really grasp the idea of Big Pharma.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Good to see you posting, Juan. I must apologize for the lack of organization these days. The neglect is due to the fact that we have so few people coming to read or post in our forums. We have become more informal in our structure. Reading through your comments points out exactly how informal we have become. :lol:

My first impressions are that Windows 7 seems to be very popular in your experiences. I've come to know and admire W7 for it's versatility and simplicity, as compared to what Micorsoft is offering now. I read a long time ago that W7 is the last OS of it's kind. I have to believe that now that I've been testing Windows 10 for a while. I skipped over Windows 8.x because it was obviously an undeveloped and bug prone system. It is the equivalent to Vista which also was a transition from one technology to another. It's obvious that our needs for computers are different. I've not heard of those other operating systems you use every day. I have only ventured out into the Linux world when I need a diversion from Windows. I also didn't realize Linux supports any processors other than Intel or AMD's.

"Central Light And Electromotor Force Company"
That's quite a name for what we call the electric company. LOL While the name describes the business precisely it is a mouthful to try and say or even remember. The governments here regulate all utility companies but I don't know of any cases where they actually own the company. The presence of several different companies in the market is in theory an incentive to be competitive and thus offer service at the best possible price. That might happen in a truly free market, but as I say all our utilities are regulated by the government. Utility companies are not free to be competitive in the traditional sense.

I probably should have obtained a hearing aid many years ago. My high frequency hearing loss is getting worse and starting to affect some of the middle frequencies as well. About a dozen years ago I helped mom pick out a hearing aid which was all analog. OpAmps probably were at the core of the devices and it was all custom filtered to the patient's needs. The problem was that even though the technology was state of the art at the time, it did not serve her well in all environments. My understanding is that the newer devices coming in from Germany these days use digital signal processing and offer several selections of equalizers to account for different real life situations. Listening to a conversation in a noisy room is not the same as listening to television alone, and the newer aids are supposed to take care of these variations automatically. Also, feedback was a major problem for those analog hearing aids. Mom never was able to adjust it properly and thus gave up wearing it in less than a year's time. Hers was several thousands of dollars to purchase. I can't imagine what the imported DSP devices would cost.

The "caravan" from Central America seems to have lost it's importance ever since the elections ended last week. Apparently our president has seen it fit to keep regular army troops deployed at the border for logistic purposes. That means they re not actively involved with patrolling the borders. That is still done by the Border Patrol people. I don't know what would happen if the caravan actually reached our Texas border and confronted the soldiers, but the latest word I got was that the caravan is now headed toward California. Apparently there are no soldiers there.

On the surface this caravan is composed of asylum seekers. The real composition remains to be seen and ostensibly will be sorted out when they reach our border. However, it's my understanding that asylum seekers are supposed to apply at the first safe border. I'm thinking Mexico is that safe place and all these caravan people should be seeking asylum in Mexico. Is that true, or am I too naive to know what is really happening there?
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

As far as I've seen, at the caravan that entered nearly a month ago, a delegation of National Immigration Institute went to the Ciudad Hidalgo - Tecun Uman border bridge to offer asylum to those that would want to apply... As fa as the media has been saying, less than 10% of the migrants have so far applied for asylum. We'll see if they apply after failing to cross the Tijuana - San Diego border, like the caravan from Haiti a couple of years ago.
By the way, that route, Ciudad Hidalgo to Tijuana, is almost as long as you can travel within Mexican territory, The equivalent on a commercial airplane (Tapachula to Tijuana) takes 5 hours if flown without scales... The issue in this case is that if the caravan was used as a propaganda mean for the election, we have been left with all the hassles, costs and none of the supposed benefits of the case...
yogi

Post by yogi »

Immigration has been a political issue for many generations. It's only going to get worse as the political and geographical climates continue to change. As you must know there is an enormous problem in Europe. Most of the immigrants there come from Syria and Libya with the UK (England in particular) as a destination. The immigration route begins in Turkey in one instance and Italy in the other. From what I understand Turkey shut down it's borders for crossing immigrants, but Italy is trying to deal with the influx. The immigrants are targeting England in particular because of the quality of life and financial benefits there being higher than the rest of Europe.

As I suggested, on this continent an asylum seeker should be applying at the first safe port of entry, but they are not. The problem is further complicated because that caravan in Mexico has economic immigrants as well as asylum seekers. The economic immigrants are not necessarily threatened in any way but do want to improve their quality of life. In my opinion that is the reason why they are refusing to seek entry into Mexico. America is perceived as a better place to live. Well, our president, in all his wisdom, is trying to change that perception. I've read were they are considering not accepting asylum applicants as well. To be honest, Juan, I realize there is a problem, but what is going on at the moment is not the America I knew and loved for 71 years of my life.
Last edited by yogi on 17 Nov 2018, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

I've received and seen several notes regarding despite from the migrant caravan against locales and government asistentes that I'm fearing a clash against foreigners that has not been seen in this country since 1862-7...
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is some evidence that the clash between different cultures is being directed by nation states which have an interest in promoting chaos around the world. Some of the problems forcing the migrant people to move are real and can be dealt with. The confrontations, however, are not what the migrants nor the receiving nations desire.