Sizing my home city (Mexico City) visually.

Become part of the brainformation Internet experience. Write your story here.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
ocelotl

Sizing my home city (Mexico City) visually.

Post by ocelotl » 04 Aug 2018, 11:44

You may heard that Mexico City is one of the largest and most populated cities of the planet. If for any reason you wander about its size, I found a video taken from aboard a commercial flight approaching and landing at Mexico City airport. At 7:30, It covers from rougly the area where I live to land. And yes, it does show the smog layer that covers the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwLX506LE2U

yogi

Re: Sizing my home city (Mexico City) visually.

Post by yogi » 04 Aug 2018, 15:39

Mexico City is not only huge, I see by the video that it is also densely populated. Metropolitan Chicago, my home town, stretches from the lake to about fifty miles west. That's not all Chicago proper, but a lot of suburbs too. I've come into O'Hare flying over the city and have always been amazed at it's size. However, it's nowhere nearly as dense as is your home town. I think Chicago has about 3 million people within it's limits and just under 10 million when counting all the collar counties. Mexico City alone apparently has that many people. You live in a beautiful city Juan. It's a place you can be proud of.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » Today, 04:45

:yikes:

and here's where my roots are from, 'hugely' developed since i left in 1960:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/35300+ ... 24.3574084

the entire country only has some 5.5 mil people on its 338 000 sq km's.

incidentally, the land mass has increased 1000 sq km's since i went to school as it's still rising from the sea since the last ice age. about 1 m/century, if i recall correctly.

yogi

Post by yogi » Today, 08:44

I guess it's bigger than when you lived there, but around here that would be a small town. :smile:

I find it interesting that the landscape is "rising" instead of disappearing due to changes in sea level. It seems to be the reverse of what's going one elsewhere in the world - except Hawaii, of course.