blooming...

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
pilvikki

blooming...

Post by pilvikki »

it's amazing how things keep on blooming throughout the year here. there's some mustard related weeds that is white and renders the vineyards white, like there's been a very local snowfall. the violas, pansies, hedges, and many roses are busily producing. and then there's a really cute wee flower, like a tiny daisy, but with variegated petal colours and they're everywhere.

yogi

Re: blooming...

Post by yogi »

Around here that would be an amazing scene in the middle or January. Then again, the crab apple tree looks like it is beginning to bud. I can't believe I spent seventy winters waiting until March for the snow and ice to melt. I'd not know how to handle a Mediterranean winter. Then again, you're not that close to the sea. How do you explain this wonderful foliage?
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

Welcome to year round blooming. Geraniums, a few Roses, Chinese Privets, Calla Lillies are blooming around here as well as the Cuetlalxochitl...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

nice! i love seeing flowers all year round.

well, the Mediterranean is an our east from here, but i believe a lot of the temperate climate is due to the gulf stream, which gives england and ireland palm trees and even affects southern finland.

cornwall:

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

still, we do have snow in the forecast. let's see if it happens...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've heard of Cornish Hens but not of Cornish Palms. I learn something new every day.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i'm totally hooked on this silly real estate show Escape to the Country, i think it's called. not because i'm in the market for £500 000 houses (give or take a couple of hundred), but they show so much of the history, scenery, old revived crafts etc.

of course they do manage to annoy me as well, with the standard lines like "so, how much do you think this property is worth?" and the potential buyers then have to guess. um, like, why? or the Mystery House. oooh... seriously, just another house!

still, one learns a lot along the way.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My wife watches "House Hunters" which is the same idea but less expensive. I mean, how many hundreds of times can you watch young couples buy a house before it becomes mind numbing?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, the these guys are mostly geezers, but as my dream was to become an architect, you can see my fascination with houses.
mind you, some of those programs are really, really dumb! one hostess kept at the couple with "i realize you don't care for the rest of the house, but could you see yourself in this room?" and inane nonsense like that. "do you think your horse would enjoy the 8 acres?"

:facepalm:
yogi

Post by yogi »

About 90% of what I see on television is inane. I think they are targeting an audience with an average intellect of a six year old. If you are just looking for a way to kill some time, the maybe television is the least strenuous way to do it. But if you want to be entertained, and perhaps enlightened a bit, there are much better ways to do that.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i do enjoy that program for reasons previously mentioned, but the real reason i'm watching it is to to keep irene company a couple of hours every day. which is about the max time i can handle sitting there, watching real estate and farming shows... did get a chuckle of the alpacas; they look hilarious!

apparently they're pretty mellow and good-natured as well
yogi

Post by yogi »

When my eyebrows get to look like the alpaca's, that's when I know it's time to get a haircut.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

lucy's getting close...