we were adopted...

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
pilvikki

we were adopted...

Post by pilvikki »

when we first moved here, irene kept talking about a kitty she'd seen in the house in the evenings.

"yeah, sure..." we thought and nodded.

then we'd also seen a pile of fur screaming through late at night and the cat door rattling. next the basement started to smell ugly and we realized a cat was living down there! the fact that we stored catfood there might have had something.... i donno, just a hunch...

oh hell no! saxon and i went through every nook and cranny to make sure the intruder was out and after an exhaustive inspection we nailed the entrance point shut.

mistake. we locked the cat in!!! :doh: :facepalm: :facepalm: :rolleyes: :crazy:

i had put a litter box down there, but cat did not wish to use the facilities provided when there was a convenient bit of floor available.

ok, try again.

cleaned the mess up, deodorized, and in an unkind and nasty and noisy way we chased the poor thing out. i wasn't happy, but well, you know... as a peace offering i put food outside the kitchen door, which was accepted.

the nightly visits through the cat door started again. if you went into the kitchen, you'd find a pile of fur on the counter, taking off like a shot and out the kitty door. then i'd find it on the top shelf in the bathroom, on the armoire in the hall...

great. but we already have Tuppence! tuppence didn't mind. lucy did and would chase the intruder whenever she saw it.

this went on for a while, kitty getting bolder and finally punkin had made friends with her and got to stroke the soft fur. she was sold when she found the poor gentle soul was literally crawling with fleas! :yikes: gross.

off to get flea stuff!

then kitty just moved in and after some trials got named Penny. she lives under the armoire in the entrance.
and the other day punkin calls me over "is she getting fat?" hm... hard to tell under all the fur... let's see... oh dear...

we might be getting ha'pennies.

:facepalm:
yogi

Re: we were adopted...

Post by yogi »

I'd get a pit bull dog if I were you ...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i hear pitties are real sweethearts if treated right.... she'd just bring home some more orphans... :rolleyes:

lucy now wants to be friends, but kitty say 'no'...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

tuppence used to lounge on punkin's bed, but has been evicted by madam. so guess where he's gotten his muddy paw prints now...? :facepalm:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Our former pooch would slumber nowhere else but in her mistress's bed. This was a pain in the butt as far as I was concerned, not to mention the smell. The new pooch never was introduced to the human sleeping platform and she has no inclination to use it. The lesson here is not to do it even once unless you are prepared to make it a permanent habit.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

that works for dogs, but cats.... leave the door open - and we're done. :doh:

lucy lounges on punkin's bed all the time, but makes no moves to even suggest getting up on mine, exactly for that reason of my never allowing her.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have no experience with cats. They impress me as being arrogant.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

oh nooo... some cats are the softest, loveliest of souls. years ago, earl once got out and the neighbour took him in. we weren't home, so she locked up her cat, because she thought earl was declawed. he was that gentle. come to think of it, none of our cats use their claws, they were taught to keep them under wraps.

then again, tuppence can get frisky, but never, ever claws me, although he would sink them into one of the grandsons, who's let him get away with it.

so, cats are trainable, but it takes patience.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are right. Any animal can be trained. Plus, they all seem to have their own personalities. I can think of a few nice terms to describe cats, but the word 'lovable' isn't on my list.