god sitting on a grand scale...

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
pilvikki

god sitting on a grand scale...

Post by pilvikki »

love the typo! so i'm leaving it.

yes, the castle i mentioned. here i am in charge of 2 fat dogs (one really old with bad hearing and eyesight, a case of flatulence extraordinaire :eek: :eek: :eek: ) + a really old sweet nag of a horse and 5 cats. i'm to give horsey a baguette and 2 carrots twice a day. the dogs get fed at noon, the cats whenever. the doors should be kept open, weather permitting. the doors! dear gods, there are doors everywhere! i'm sitting in the kitchen and there's 5 doors right here.

they take in old dogs and horses as there's plenty of them to go around here.

they'll be back next week. sometime. they'll let me know....

i got a tour of the place last night but by today i could not remember which of the outside buildings led to the horse, so i went looking. i opened one door after the other - skipping the german tenants's place in between. i found cars, like a Mercedes with the back open and a blanket for the dogs to sleep on, a huge, maybe 80's, ford pick up, every kind of garden machinery, tools, 5 ton truck (out in the yard though)...

you already saw pictures of the interior of the house, i took some more. like, when they say 'library', they mean 100 x more books than the village libraries. most of them antiques.

the stuff here is simply :dropmouth: he restores medieval things from suits of armour to weapons, hires his 'soldiers' and horses out to shows and plays. atm they are in italy, looking for a place to open up a permanent museum for all this - stuff.

ok, i'll be uploading some pictures. see how i'll sort that out...
yogi

Re: god sitting on a grand scale...

Post by yogi »

You seem to be 'god' sitting in some kind of place stuck in a time warp. The pictures I have seen are amazing, and the land lord's hobbies are more like a lifestyle than entertainment. You are so fortunate to be able to experience such a place.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

you know... this place was built for a huge household! i mean, the entrance is the size of a cottage. the cloak room is the smallest down here, and the that is the lady's office. he's office is at the back of the house and is full of boating memorabilia - and african masks. i'm thinking the previous owner was a seafarer of sorts?

the ceilings are ...way up there, about 14-15'... i just saw something interesting in the library, so i'm off to take more pictures.

later!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ok, let's see how many i get to come up:

they really do keep them in the closet.

the endlessly harped about Canal du Midi, practically in their backyard. between their property and the canal is a narrow road:

https://scontent-cdt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A661176

punch - 1907

https://scontent-cdt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A7C0115

i don't get it, the first one posted, the other two, niet.

Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Back when I was in my early 20s, my cousin and I took an over-winter job up in northern Maine.
The owner of the home, which was all stone, moved somewhere warm for the winter.
Once it snows, there is no getting in or out of that place. Everything was shut-off also, except for one water line to the central bathroom in the middle of the house. A fireplace was in each room on opposite walls of the bathroom, and we had to keep those blazing all the time, which was what our job was. Staying to protect the house. It was big too, but we only used two rooms.
Needless to say, the phun of doing it wore off after the second month, and the next two months were awful, with no electric. We knew there would be no electric, and we could only use the small generator to run a TV for about 2 hours a day. Most of the time all we did was keep hauling wood from the foyer to the center of the house. He had something like four or five cords of wood loaded up in the foyer, complete with bugs and spiders, hi hi... There was less than half a cord of wood left when they returned home and we could be on our way.
The best thing was, we were paid well, and with nothing to spend it on while there, we were sorta rich for a while, hi hi...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i could take that for a month or so, but all winter? nooope!