the doctor visit.

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
Icey

Re: the doctor visit.

Post by Icey »

Ours've been pretty easy to set up and get running without needing to ask for help, but I agree with you that someone ought to develop an instant-working modem or router, based on information which the things'd receive as soon as they're connected. In our case, it'd take a while longer though, since the system was designed to re-route (if that's the word) all over the place, as a security measure.

Anyway, to get back to systems used at our doctors and hospitals, they all seem incredibly slow. The worst is when you ask a receptionist for an appointment. The pages take an age to load, and then the info seems to take even longer, afterwhich ... "Sorry, we're fully booked for that day ....." : (
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My brother had the same problem with his software for a while.
Way too many subroutines were being called when all he wanted was to check something.
It was the Cougar Mountain accounting package with nearly every optional package installed.

He replaced it with some other program, don't remember the name, but it was one that in earlier years was considered horrible. They must have really improved because the new program they provided, which did everything he wanted it to, ran like a scared rabbit, even on older machines.

I think the big difference between the two is the first had to load everything before you could do anything, each time you changed pages. Where the latter only brought up what was necessary for the task at hand. Scheduling an employee's work time did not need access to the accounting or inventory programs, only the calendar program and databook.
Now, if he was doing an invoice or taking an order, it had to check if the item was in inventory, and the price, but not the accounting program until he completed the order. Then it would deduct from inventory, add to the reorder list, post to accounts receivable, and the parts pulling job sheet, packaging info, shipping info, etc. This was slower, because it had so many things to do. But it did all this in the background, and he could do something else on the screen without seeing any noticeable slowdowns.

One thing I never understood was how more than one person could be adding to the same file without it getting messed up. Perhaps it is not like two people editing the same document, just posting new info in a client database.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well Gary - lol - I'm useless at understanding techie things, so can't really comment, but as an example, we had an engineer round today to look at a problem we've been having with our internet connection.
"Ah!" said the man, "this isn't a fault at your end ...." and proceeded to expalin what'd gone wrong. The more he tried to simplify things for me, the more vacant I became, until nothing sank in at all!
The only good thing about it, was that he fixed the problem by adjusting a few things, and then there was no charge for his work because the problem was the fault of the ISP, not ours. : )
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It's good he admitted the fault was at their end.
Often, even if it is, they claim they need to make a change to your firewall or something in the router that was blocking this, that, or the other thing.
I own my own Modem and Router, rather than rent an obsolete one from Comcast.
I also own my own VOIP telephone system, which I know irks them big time.
VOIP is free, except for federal taxes, and Comcast charges 19.95 per month if you get it through them.
I'm still using VOIP over my Comcast cable, but they don't get any fee. Heck, their base charge for an Internet connection is already blood sucking high, simply because they have no competition, which makes them a Monopoly.
They are my ONLY CHOICE for cable, so we have to pay what they demand.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I own my router as well, but when we swapped companies, they gave me a free one - which's still in its box.
The engineer who came was fair enough. That's the second time we've needed to call them out, and no charge either time.