paris and i just don't get along

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
pilvikki

paris and i just don't get along

Post by pilvikki »

i knew i didn't want to be here.... and sure enough, BEFORE i even got into town, a wee pup decided to throw up on my foot. no biggie, just clean it up, take off your socks and no harm done, right?

wrong. the sockless state gave rise to blisters. on both feet. to the bleeding point before we found the blasted hotel!

now, i'd only had a couple of hours of sleep the night before due to my cough, so i wasn't feeling too wonderful: a head cold with a side of nausea, perfect travel companions.

so, for once i can't wait to get home!
tomsk

Re: paris and i just don't get along

Post by tomsk »

sacré bleu!
stop bleating ....Paris is a gorgeous city...
But I'm sorry to hear about your plates..(plates of meat ...FEET!)
yogi

Post by yogi »

It was an amazing feat.
Sounds like a nice place to visit, but not to live in.
Don't tell me ... the puppy was a French Poodle, right?
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Vikki, you must be in the Guinness book of records for globetrotting...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

don't be silly, tom! not planning on going anywhere, well, at least until july. we want to escape this cauldron of molten lava to somewhere cooler, like finland and sweden. :lol: but until then we'll be right here...

hopefully i'll be rid of this damned cough by then...

we wanted to go see the catacombs, but they let in 200 people every 45 mins. it was 2.30 - and the line went nearly around the block. so, scratch that. punkin wanted to see the d'orsey art museum, but my back refused to go any further. we hopped onto one of those seine sightseeing boats instead. it might have been more educational had we been able to decipher what she was saying... but i took pictures and will look them up.

the rodin museum was interesting. a comment from 12 year old connor: "he can't be that famous, for i've never heard of him..." then he looks at the thinker dude "oh yeah... him..."
a comment from saxon as we enter the park with the statues "WHY ARE ALL THE PEOPLE HERE NAKED?"

so, the last day i said to just drop me off at the train station and they can go visit with friends or do whatever it is they want to without having me as a millstone around their necks. no, no, i insist!

so, here i am at the station at 1 pm. train to depart at 10.12 pm. oh, bh! what have i done?

of course i got restless and decided to leave and go limp about, originally to look for a store. i only found restaurants/bars, a MacD, dozens of cops and cop cars (headquarters?) - and an obnoxious beggar. but hey... what's on the other side of the street? museum of natural history! yay!

he place was amazing. anything bones and fossils from pinhead sized to dinosaurs and whales. what a treasure trove for someone who actually studies this stuff!

i'll hunt down a few pictures now. :wink:
yogi

Post by yogi »

There are catacombs in Paris? I had no idea.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

major catacombs!

http://www.catacombes.paris.fr/en/homep ... al-website

now that i look at the scheduling, we should have stayed and waited....

when i was 11 the church near our house was torched. from the rubble they pulled out a fibre drum of skulls and being nosy, i had to go snoop. to my surprise the skulls were only about the size of a grapefruit each. so i asked mother about it and she explained that well, people were smaller a couple of hundred years ago and of course, if you take out the hair and the muscles...

so, for years i bought it.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i just bing-ed the catacomb pictures and methinx it's just as well we aborted the mission - it might have been a bit much for the kidlets... :eek: :eek:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know about Paris, but not too very long ago they found mass graves with small heads that belonged to infants, as well as others. It seems that the church of the old days didn't approve of single mom families; sinning daughters with their kids were sent away to convents. There was only so much room and compassion at the nunnery ...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

that was the one in ireland where they found some 800 baby skeletons in the septic tank. like, wtf? what kind of creatures were these nuns/priests? unbelievable!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Yes, it was indeed in Ireland; the most Catholic country I can think of outside of Poland. Things like that mass grave make me glad I rejected religion at an early age.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i remember listening to our holier than thou born-again teacher and thinking to myself "this makes no sense!" at the age of 10 or 11. not just once, but over and over. asking my parents (rabid atheists) just had them chuckling and confirming my suspicions. mother gave me a bible to read, but i didn't get too far, it was just too daft and i lost my patience.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I attended a parochial grammar school taught by nuns of the Franciscan order. My parents were lukewarm Catholic and figured I would learn more in that school than in a public school. Somewhere about 2nd or 3rd grade during a catechism lesson I figured it out. If a 9 year old can see what's going on, I don't get how so many adults can be blinded by the light.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

IKR!

fear? the old "but what if?"

you know what's really crazy? i had this party buddy from work and we'd go out after work for a few and we'd have great parties and she was the most supportive, helpful person EVER!

so, what happens? she gets religion - and later on, the one time i really needed serious advice, she blew me off completely! i was a bit stunned and in distress and thought there was a miscommunication and tried to contact her again. nope! wanted nothing to do with my problems. then i got thinking... she never contacted me when my house burnt down. or when i got laid off and my husband left. or...

ok, i guess we're done. praise the lord.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Amen
yogi

Post by yogi »

Speaking of catacombs under Paris ... there are 6 million skulls down there :thud:
A couple kids got lost among the skulls for three days before they were fond: http://time.com/4819767/paris-catacombs-teenagers-lost/
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

not on the list of things to do.... getting lost amid 6 million skeletons. :eek: